Day to Day Listening....

SWL

For the last few years since I started this hobby, my system would sound slightly different from day to day. I mean, I'd come home from work, turn on the stereo (always the first thing I do when I walk through the door), and it would sound overwhelmed with bass.....or the opposite.......too much treble, or the opposite. Too much of this, not enough of that.

Well, after a few years of upgradeitis, experimenting with placement and experimenting with room treatments.........I think I finally got it right. [:D]

Sometimes from day to day it will sound slightly different......but nothing major. Probably just the adjustment from being outside all day. I think tweaking and going by other peoples comments/suggestions was making me crazy trying to get it "just right". Ain't gonna happen.....but I'm very happy with what I ended up with.

I've realized that mediocre equipment with proper placement in a proper room (acoustically) is better than higher end gear in a room that is ignored.....as far as placement and room acoustics go.

For discussion sake, does anyone else's stereo sound slightly different from day to day? Am I going nuts? Are you guys nuts? Are we all going nuts with this hobby?

Gotta go, I think I need to move my speaker over an inch and a half......so it will sound better......ya know? [;)]

I never really thought about it, but I guess ya, mine too sounds a little different from day to day. Especially the bass. I messed around with my subs last night, thought I was happy with it, but today when I came home, it was a little too much bass. And when I watch movies, i'm CONSTANTLY changing my levels. it drives my gf nuts!

Yes, it is because of temperature, humidity, and pressure. Your speakers are moving a viscous medium (air) and when the properties of that medium change the sound performance will change. Sometimes the bass has more punch, sometimes the highs. I use the process of "overwhelmation" to bypass all of this.

JJK

Psychoacoustics rule!!! LOL!!!

But yes, the exact same song on the exact same equipment, exact same spl, etc just sounds different on some days. Stress levels? Am I tired? Am I concentrating on something else? Humidity and temperature affects things, but it also affects the final component of the system.... the listener. In some ways, we too are a "reactive network".

I guess for me it sounds the same and I don't notice any day-to-day differences unless I have a headache, which doesn't happen too often. I don't change my settings unless it's Disk specific.
For the last ten years I have really come to appreciate Multichannel sound in both Music and Movies and spend at least 3 to 4 hours a day enjoying my Klipsch Home Theaters. When I workout in the afternoons I don't do much critical listening but appreciate the motivation that my Klipsch Legend systems pounds out...In the evening, to sometimes late at night, I sit amazed in my main Library Home Theater (listed below) at how sublime Multi-channel music sounds--For well made Movies it's nothing short of being in middle of the action.
I admit there is alot of fun in tweaking a system but it's nirvana once you get it right. [8][~][ip]