Any Porsche people out there?????

winchester21

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned 2 924's while assigned to germany during my army days.

1 924 had a blown engine. The other 924 had a bad rear end collision.

The plan was to do a motor swap.....never happended...got re-assigned and the project was undertaken by someone else.

Islander:

It's a little course we have tucked away in a back corner of the Sonoma County Airport.

It's made up of what, I think, used to be access roads around some old WWII era fuel dumps. It's kinda like four back to back ovals - or two figure eights beside each other. It's even got some elevation changes in the "go kart" section which dives through the center section of one of the ovals. Almost unlimited configuration possibilities!

You're right it's a fun little track!

James

Gorgeous Greg, is that guards red?

Actually it's Indischrot, which I think is a really snooty way of saying Guards Red.

Never had a ticket with this one. 155 is my limit with this car being 15 years old, but it wants to go much faster! I'm really not much of a Porsche guy, the 928 model is the only one that has interested me over the years. It's really an amazing machine. The performance really doesn't show until you get it up over 100. It just sets in and races for top speed with an ease and control that is rare among even the top cars available today. They began designing the 928 in 1972, all by hand without computers, and the first model came off the line in 1978. General Motors bought a 1979 model from a dealership here in the U.S. and took it back to a warehouse to disassemble it. Still a fresh design today, and a viable performer as well.

It has a front mounted, normally aspirated, water cooled V8 with 345 hp, with the transmission in the rear, giving nearly perfect 50/50 weight balance, and a unique rear suspension that gently and passively steers itself as the car leans through a corner. Mine came equipped with the factory sport suspension and LSD rear end.

The 928 was never accepted by the old faithful Porsche purists who believe that any real Porsche should have the air cooled engine in the rear of the car. There was even a deep divide in the top ranks of Porsche, which was what eventually led the company to ignore the 928 platform until it just couldn't justify the high price of production and in 1995 the last one came off the line.

Greg

post-11090-13819428620412_thumb.jpg