Red Wine Audiophiles

russ69

So I start this little thread about the Heresy speaker and mention a term I coined called "Red Wine Audiophiles", before I know it, references AND pictures of Ripple, Night Train, Boones Farm and of all things Plungerhead start showing up! God help me! Not a single Claret in the bunch or a mention of any drinkable wine. My next thread will be about the "Jaegermiester Audiophiles". I hope the Klipsch main server doesn't crash!

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Here's a useful link for you guys: http://www.bumwine.com/

I guess I might be a red wine audiophile because on a number of occasions after I have had a fair amount of red wine to drink I go to this forum and find out I need some new piece of audio equipment - and with the internet availability I end up buying it right then and there.

Josh

Enjoy,not all may be available in your area, but the ones in blue are the highest rated, but some of the others are good for the price. Mind you, none of these will make the $20 and under list, but are worth the taste.

You don't have to be rich to drink rich winesDec 24, 2008 04:30 AM Gord Stimmell
Wine criticThe sliding economy has signalled a noticeable shift toward value-packed wines under $10. We all want wines that taste rich, but do not tax our wallets. Argentina is leaping at this opportunity with gusto and I am certain other countries will follow in 2009. The Misterio Malbec is a fab red for the bucks, and the Argento Pinot Grigio tastes as good as some $17 Italian grigios. Our upper-scale selection this week for holiday dining, the tempranillo-based Marqués de Cáceres, bested several contenders in the $15 to $20 category I tasted blind last week. Merry Christmas! Finca Flichman Misterio 2007 Malbec $7.95 (Argentina)This was worthy even before it dropped in price! Violets, sage and blueberry pie aromas signal that there's lots of flavour to follow. And sure enough, black cherry, plum and smoky cedar flavours chime in. The delivery is very mellow in style, very mouth filling. Amazing value. LCBO # 28803Food suggestion: Pan seared rib-eyes. Rating: 88 out of 100Argento 2008 Pinot Grigio $9.85 (Argentina)Aromas of pure pear, which are classic for pinot grigio, plus ripe bin apple, lime and a spicy overlay. On the palate, mellow lime, kiwi fruit and persistent pear. The finish shows uplifting citrus peel. Very fresh, fruity and friendly. And a real steal! LCBO # 620492Food suggestion: Breaded veal. Rating: 88Marqués de Cáceres Seleccionada Crianza 2005 Red $16.95 (Spain)Crianza reds are aged 16 months in oak, then bottle-aged 18 months more before release. Aromas of black raspberry, cedar, vanilla and wild strawberries entice. The flavours are potent, with expansive black cherries, vanilla bean and chocolate. A big red, drinking great now. LCBO # 69294Food suggestion: Baked smoked ham. Rating: 90
Wine selections for 2008

I have singled out wines that deliver way more than what their price might indicate. And I have zeroed in on consistent performers, year to year. As well, there's a variety of grapes for all tastebuds, because some folks prefer whites and others reds. ONTARIO WHITE Château des Charmes
2006 Riesling
$12.45
The White Label
GL - LCBO #61499
An amazingly versatile and delicious white, this riesling shows off aromas and flavours of lemon oil, lime and tangerine. There's a perfect sweet/dry harmony. Food matches? Fish, chicken, seafood, even sushi. It drinks well on its own, too.
Rating: 90
NON-ONTARIO WHITE KWV Cathedral Cellar
2005 Chardonnay $14.95
South Africa
Vintages - LCBO #328559
With lavishly oaked chardonnays trending into the $30 range, this is amazing value. Buttery roasted apple aromas lead into flavours of coconut, lime and peach. The style is fairly robust. Great match with lobster or crab in drawn butter. Rating: 90 NEWCOMER Zuccardi Fuzion
2007 Shiraz Malbec $7.45
Argentina
GL - LCBO #83188
The top selling red in Quebec is here, but it keeps vanishing in minutes every time a new batch arrives. Loaded with black cherry, plum, cedar and vanilla notes, Fuzion is a perfect house red to tide us through the bitter winter. Rating: 88 VINTAGES ESSENTIAL Cline Syrah
2007 Sonoma County $14.95
California
LCBO #733758
This beat out 100 Vintages Essentials wines in the value sweepstakes. The Rhône style hints of violets and lilacs and smoked meat, and the flavours dish up summer ripened blueberries, cherries and black plums. Think hearty stews. Rating: 89 FINE DINING Deen De Bortoli Vat 9
2005 Cabernet Sauvignon $15.95
Australia
LCBO #17467
Huge fruit and complexity for the price. Think clove, blackberry, vanilla bean, chocolate and black raspberry nuances woven in a rich texture with a long mellow finish. A match with charcoal-seared steaks and prime rib roast. Rating: 90 SPARKLING Cuvée Catharine
Brut Rosé Sparkling $29.95
Ontario
LCBO #4051
$34.95 in thermal tube #83139
There are good cheap sparklers out there, but this is my top choice for real champagne substitute. Aromas of rose petals, cranapple and flavours of toasty lemony apple. A very elegant small bead of bubbles. Lovely with hors d'oeuvres, seafood starters and hard cheeses. Rating: 90 SWEET Cave Spring Indian Summer
2006 Riesling $24.95
LCBO #415901 Vintages Essential
Fabulous sipper made from late harvested grapes. It's great with fruit desserts, especially if you find Ontario icewines too sweet and cloying. Lush tangerine and nectarine elements, with a perfect sugar/acidity balance. Killer with apple crisp. Rating: 91 Scotch The best value remains the ever popular Té Bheag (#949172, $37.95, rating 89), which evokes powerful sea-brined peaty aromas. However, the performers that soared this year are not quite so inexpensive. The year's best wines for under $12
White WinesSpinelli Quartana Chardonnay, $7.50 (Italy): Great house white, for spritzers too. LCBO # 474239, Rating: 87.Cesari 2007 Chardonnay Delle Venezie, $7.45 (Italy): Pure fresh pear and bin apple accents. LCBO # 572461, Rating: 88.Rocca Ventosa Cantina Tollo Trebbiano D'Abruzzo, $7.80 (Italy) Tasty and food friendly. LCBO #430249, Rating: 87.Ogio Pinot Grigio, 2007 $8.85 (Italy): Lime, lemon and pear-driven crowd pleaser. LCBO #86199, Rating: 87.Gallo Family 2007 Pinot Grigio, $8.95 (California): Refreshing pear and lemon grass. Nice sipper. LCBO # 82594, Rating: 88.Drostdy-Hof 2007 Chardonnay, $9.75 (South Africa): Floral golden apple and hazelnut notes. LCBO # 343202, Rating: 88.Barefoot Cellars Pinot Grigio, $9.95 (California): Delicious, fruity sipper. Fab value. LCBO # 53983, Rating: 89.Obikwa Sauvignon Blanc, $9.45 (South Africa): Crushed pineapple and citrus pleaser. LCBO #527465, Rating: 87.Hillebrand Artist Series 2007 Riesling VQA, $10.95 (Ontario): Poached pear and quince and tangy citrus. LCBO # 088377, Rating: 89.Lindemans Bin 85 Pinot Grigio, $10.95 (Australia): Racy pear, guava, slightly sweet edge. LCBO # 668947, Rating: 88.Concha Y Toro Casillero Del Diablo Chardonnay, $10.95 (Chile): Floral apple, lime and pear. LCBO #58420, Rating: 89.Chateau des Charmes Chardonnay, $11.45 (Ontario): Bright apple, lemon and pear nuances. LCBO # 56754, Rating: 88.Red winesSpinelli Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, $7.50 (Italy): Mellow, full-fruited winner for value. LCBO #454629, Rating: 88.Zuccardi Fuzion 2007 Shiraz Malbec $7.45 (Argentina) Big black cherry and plummy depth. LCBO # 83188, Rating: 88 Cesari 2006 Merlot, $7.45 (Italy) Black plum, cherry and black olives, some real depth. LCBO #572453, Rating: 87Citra Sangiovese Terre di Chieti, $7.45 (Italy): A meaty house red, with a hint of lushness. LCBO #480756, Rating: 88.Farnese 2007 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, $7.55 (Italy): Vanilla, cherry and black olives nuances. Sturdy. LCBO #621912, Rating: 87.Allianca Foral Douro, $8.50 (Portugal): Ripe and rich, with complexity from port grapes. LCBO #239046, Rating: 88.Ogio Primitivo 2006, $8.85 (Italy): Spicy black cherry, plum, vanilla and lilacs. LCBO #86421, Rating: 88.Tarapaca Cabernet Sauvignon, $9.90 (Chile): Nice depth of fruit with a lingering spiciness. LCBO #249599, Rating: 88.Mezzomondo 2007 Sangiovese Merlot, $9.80 (Italy): Violets, blackberry and ripe plum depth. LCBO #79327, Rating: 88.Cono Sur 2007, Merlot $9.95 (Chile): Sturdy red, with minty spicy blackberry core. LCBO #457176, Rating: 88.Argento 2007 Malbec, $9.85 (Argentina): Herbs, black cherry and blueberry. Nice depth of fruit. LCBO #591693, Rating: 88.Osborne Solaz 2005 Merlot Tempranillo, $10.75 (Spain): Ripe black cherry and plum accents LCBO #74021, Rating: 89.

I am going to have to stock the wine cellar using this site as a guide. Thank you for this guide. I shall head to the 7-11 with a crisp $20 and have it done.

This reminds me, I sent an email yesterday to our guests for New Years stating "We wil be celebrating the passage of 2008 the traditional way, by serving pork products and cheap champagne."