Springsteen is a great showman.

Daddy Dee

I've read some interesting posts commenting on the mix quality of the halftime show. In my house, it was just on TV, so I can't comment on the quality of the audio. My take was that Springsteen had an amazing connection with the audience especially in contrast with recent Superbowl halftime performers like Prince and the Stones. In these shows, the Stones were somehow disappointing, though not sure why. Prince exceeded expectations from a non-Prince fan. The guy worked hard and put on a good show in pouring rain, which was impressive in it's own right.

Springsteen had the crowd with him, really with him. Glory Days was powerfully done as the last number, but I was sure wishing for Born in the USA to follow. My guess is that the NFL is sensitive to perceptions of it's international audience and Born in the USA would have been considered offensive. I won't comment on political correctness, but I didn't have much energy about that.

On balance, Springsteen was the best halftime show in my memory.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Rogers listening on 7 channel setup with LSI's and Sunfire. It was a very good mix and sound quality was top notch.

They got it right this year (for a change). Even the pre-game anthems were classy and delivered with style (but not too much embellishment)

M

I thought it was excellent, much more interesting and attractive than some in the past. The audience next to the stage and the performers were right there, real, and in direct touch communication with each other. I really enjoyed watching the individual players (like the two guitar lovelies) and singers.

I hated the Stones thing -- no visual or musical immediacy, no zooming in, and the jarring 1960's look of very tight-legged jeans on those old guys. Worse still, I honestly thought the (supposed) audience at the Stones' was FAKE, digitally pasted in! That was at a time when we were discovering that networks digitally pasted in billboards and signs that weren't really there, and I think could usually be spotted. Same thing there -- the Stones' supposed before-stage audience had a lot of motion that was supposed to be waving arms, but looked more like a graphics designer's animated GIF. There was no doubt about the reality of everything last night.

You may remember when the Stones first appeared, the before-stage audience was revealed by an apparent peeling or running back of a stage cover. That made no sense to me, and was a bad start.

I also wondered about where that [edit:] Springsteen [/edit] before-stage audience came from and how fast they melted away on cue when it was over.

I forget the number but during one song Bruce ran toward a camera , across the stage and slide to his knees and slide right into the camera.  Looks like he took it right in the crotch.  Ouch!

I wouldn't have wanted to be that camera man!!!! Tea Bag City!

I thought the show was amazing and I have NEVER liked Bruce....what amazes me are all the mixed reviews I have heard 50% loved it ....50% hated it????? Whats to hate????

He sure did hop around that stage, for an almost 60yr old. Little Steven Van Zandt (Silvio Dante) has added a few pounds, but was still good in his "duet" part of the show.

I couldn't help noticing the difference in the energy levels between Springsteen and Tom Petty from last year.

I thought it sounded good, but....... somehow, someway these aging rock stars need to present themselves more in accordance with their advanced years. Bruce looked like he was poured into his clothes and he acted like he wanted to be 22 again, but failed. Why can't these folks age gracefully? I was afraid he was gonna blow a stroke or have a heart attack. He had Botox injections in his forehead. Just my opinion. It certainly was a better show than some they've had.

Just standard TV sound through the stereo here. I thought it sounded good and was a good performance.

I've only seen Springsteen and the E Street Band live once, Market Square Arena in Indianapolis in the 80's on the Born In The USA tour. Our seats were behind the stage but the sound was good and you could see good and Bruce, Clarence, etc would come play to the rear followed by the lights quite often. It was also kind of cool as we could watch Bruce towel off, change guitars, etc.

James Brown may have been "The Hardest Working Man In Show Business" but I can't think of any performer who outworks Bruce in a concert. The crazy backbend and sliding across the stage - amazing he can still do that. The man gives the mythical 110% night after night. We were exhausted after the 3-1/2 hour or so long concert. An amazing show.

He also had sort of a PSA earlier following taped interview with someone about Danny Federici longtime E Street band organ player who passed away this past year due to melanoma.

My favorite Suber Bowl halftime show.

I thought the sound was good, But I also have never liked "The Boss". I thought it was funny that all but 1 of the songs he sang I know from the 80's and remember I don't like him so if I have heard it its been over played on the radio. Has he done anything since the 80's?

I thought he looked like he was really wore out about half way thru, I ts love cause you could hear his distress and tiredness in his voice.

But the overall show and sound were good.

Steve

I've watched it for part of the first song and quickly got bored. I never was much of a fan of Bruce Springsteen anyway, plus those songs have been so overplayed on the radio that I could care less if I ever heard them again, even performed live.

Me and my buddy ended up going onto the computer and checking out a

instead. Found it to be much more engaging then watching/listening to some tired old Bruce Springsteen songs.

I forget the number but during one song Bruce ran toward a camera , across the stage and slide to his knees and slide right into the camera. Looks like he took it right in the crotch. Ouch!

I was worried when I saw that move coming, that there might be a "costume malfunction" or something...

Not a fan either but thought he did a really good job. Definitely the best halftime show I can remember. I could see how Springsteen fans would love the performance. He's just not my cup 'o tea. Gotta give him kudos for giving it all he had but I think his glory days are well behind him.

I'm also glad his heart didn't give out. Can you imagine the scene with half the world watching?