k-horns weak in the bass department

bigblaze

I am running klipshorns with B&K sound type A-4500 crossovers, a cayin TA30 tube amp and using a mcintosh c15 preamp. I listen to all types of music and like alot of bass. I am really disapointed in the bass output of the horns. finally I decided they needed some reinforcment so I added a SHU Research VTF3 MK-3 subwoofer. all I can say is wow! most impressive sub I have ever heard. I am still trying to get a little more bass from the k-horns is it that I am using a tube amp that is holding them back? any sugestions on getting more out of them? the corners are good and solid and they are sealed to the wall correctly.

try a good SS amp with at least 60 w/ch and see if you like it. There are many here who think Khorns and tube power amps are perfect together, but most of those will agree that it takes experimentation with different tube amps to find one that works right (for them) with a Khorn.

I agree with you that Klipschorns CAN sound weak in the bass department. The truth is, and experience shows, that they are very amplifier-sensitive. I have run them with four different A/V receivers and the bass was thin with three of them, but just GREAT with the oldest receiver, a vintage-1990 Pioneer pro-logic VSX-5700S. In two-channel mode that Pioneer would really drive them in the bass and they were Nirvana. Just gorgeous, very musical, no need for a subwoofer. Same speakers, same corners, same setup, but with the other receivers they sounded almost "tinny" by comparison. Go figure.

Unfortunately for the Pioneer, I am running a three-channel setup (see profile) and the old pro-logic center channel wouldn't cut it. In stereo the setup was superb, but in three-channel the center channel wouldn't keep up. So, I am running the array at present with an Outlaw Model 970 pre/pro feeding an Outlaw 7075 amp via a Teac 12-channel equalizer with the the 30 and 60hz sliders boosted. The combo drives the array well but still a little anemically in the bass compared to the venerable Pioneer. Solution: a Velodyne S1500R sub to anchor the really deep stuff. But (APOSTASY!) a small part of me almost wishes I didn't have that beautiful Belle Klipsch center so I could have Khorn two-channel Nirvana driven by that beloved old Pioneer.

K-horns are very sensitive to the room and to electronics. I felt for some time that mine lacked a certain amount of bass fullness and depth, and that possible causes included (1) putting them across the short wall of my 18' X 11' room; (2) large pieces of furniture that are less than 4' from the bass horn mouth, so the bass doesn't have a good launch; (3) formerly, one was placed against an outside entry door, and the bass picked up considerably after I replaced the old single-glazed full-light door with an IG (insulated glass) half-light door; (4) a little boost after replacing single-glazed room windows with double-glazed argon-filled windows; and (5) my OTL amplifier is relatively thin-sounding compared with OP transformer-based P-P amps like VRD's.

Take another look at your room and door and furniture arrangements, and your electronics. I don't think tube amps per se are weak in the bass, and IMO SS can have an edgy quality on horns that sounds artificially clear (again IMO) but isn't necessarily beneficial.

Also take another look at your sound sources -- some CD players are thin-sounding and IMO can have that edgy SS quality. Misaligned cartridges in LP players can sound very tinny and lacking in bass. Make sure your speaker wire is a full 14 or 12 gauge, and not 26-gauge weaklings.

unfortunatly I am very limited with my room situation I really only have one wall I can place them against and my listening position seams to be the biggest dead spot as far as the bass goes. even with the amazing sub I added it is weak in my listening spot. have tried several positions with the sub too. I had a chance to pick up a great mcintosh ss amp I should have grabbed it. I hate to give up any on the great sound the tube amp is producing. I am fairly new to the high end home audio. I have drooled over k-horns for years. an add came up on the local clasified adds a few months ago for the k-horns and the cayin amp I offered an ar-15 in trade and here I am. also picked up the mcintosh C15 preamp for 350.00 from another add locally.

Congratulations on the K-horns and the move to high end sound. Try putting the sub in your listening postion and move around the room and find where the bass sounds the best, put your sub there. You should be getting decent bass with the sub and the K-horns.

Dennie

It's a different kind of bass, amazingly natural but never overblown. It may sound lacking compared to a direct radiator bass especially if you like slamming rock & roll. If you love pipe organ & orchestral music , Khorns are king of the hill in bass.

my listening position seams to be the biggest dead spot as far as the bass goes. even with the amazing sub I added it is weak in my listening spot

That makes me wonder if perhaps you have a null or void (or what ever it's called) where the bass might cancel out there?

I don't know much about room acoustics...and...you said you moved the sub around.... I would have thought the null would have moved when you moved the sub around but again... I don't fully understand how that stuff works.

Just a thought

I think you're on to something (not on something...this time[;)]), Richard. I was thinking the same thing. My problem is, there's a void wherever I sit...

bigblaze, where abouts are you located? Perhaps a fellow forum member nearby can help you troubleshoot. Welcome aboard here!

A big help is to ensure that the bass horns are sealed tightly into their corners. Gaps as small as 1/4 inch can have a negative effect on bass output. Do a forum search on foam pipe insulation. There are many posts on this subject, lots of info, including some with pictures. I would investigate this first - I just helped a friend set up some Khorns and the foam insulation really improved his bass output.

I have the same sub and run it with the klipshorns and like it a lot adding that sub 40hz bottom end. But my khorns have killer bass by themselves. Natural, tight.

btw, have you ever tried putting that sub right next to your listening position? If you love bass you have to try that.

Good point! I have the same issue. How do we know for sure, and with all drivers? I have all driver plusses to crossover plusses, and same from amp, but what if one of the drivers is mis-marked?

Thanks,

Rod

it may seem simplistic, but are we IN PHASE?

Im intreaged, i dont know if i spelled that right. Great knowledge if i ever pick up a pair of horns and what does in phase mean. And not to change the subject but how do you quote another post not just the last.

duder or nick which ever you all perfer to call me.

yes in good solid corners sealed with pipe insalation. in phase unless the wires going into the sub are wrong. I think maybe a lot of people have different ideas about strong and week bass. I am into cars also and everyone seams to have different ideas about what is a fast car as well. maybe I should get some readings on SPL in my room and we will all know exactly what I consider week bass. btw my comfortable listening volume is too high for around 90% of everyone I have had listen with me. and I am not loosing hearing. lol I get an annual hearing test and it checks out great.

It's a different kind of bass, amazingly natural but never overblown. It may sound lacking compared to a direct radiator bass especially if you like slamming rock & roll. If you love pipe organ & orchestral music , Khorns are king of the hill in bass.

I think that this sums it up. It's dependent on the type of music you listen to...

I've never listened to rap on Khorns, but I would imagine there are better speaker choices if this is your musical preference.

However, orchestral and organ music sounds awesome (my father in-law loves listening to this music on his).