a good center channel and receiver for a heritage set-up

joessportster

i am picking up 4 late 80's lascalas all black laq. on friday and am wandering what would be a good center channel i dont really want a lascalla up there, also i have never put an ht togeather b-4 so i am wandering what would be a good receiver i have access to an outlaw 1050 6.1 on the cheap that i will use initially but i may want to go hd as i already have 1080p 42" toshiba on the wall, and a playstation 3 for game and blu-ray capability any suggestions / hints appreciated

Joe

... or a Heresy...I have three Heresys across the front and it sounds better (course that might be 'cuz the other two are also Heresys) than when I had either an Academy or KLF-C7 in there (thoughboth of those are excellent too)...all three of my Heresys have updated crossovers and have the Crites CT-125 tweeters installed...good luck...remembering an all Lascala Home Theater at the Pilgrimage years ago (looking towards you IndyKlipschFan [;)] )...WOW!...good luck...

Bill

Joe, while the academy is a killer center (I have one) it is made for the Forte/Chorus/Quartet. It would still do a nice job. For your LSs the first choice would be another LS...perhaps not practical. A belle would be right up there too, but if you were going to do that why not a LS, right? So I think a Heresy 1 is your best choice. Same driver/horn for the highs. Same driver for the mid with a different horn. A Heresy II has a different horn I am pretty sure.

You really need 3 more Heresies so you can have 7.1. Man, I am good at spending other people's money. Best of luck with the new LS x 4 purchase.

Joe the more I think about it the more I think 3 LSs up front and sell the 3rd to finance a pair of Heresy for surrounds. Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but the center is by far the most important speaker for HT. If multi-channel music is your thing then the LSs in all 4 corners might not be a bad way to go...but after doing the multi-channel music thing I don't care for it beyond the novelty aspect. You have everything you want and more for music, so I am guessing you want a dedicated HT set up.

Also having a LS as a center would probably make a good TV stand. A lot depends on you room. I spent months and months on my HT with many configurations in speakers. If you want any other advice just ask.

I love my Sunfire Theater Grand IV for a processor. I think somebody was recently selling a TG III, with the V out the III/IV should be cheap. Processor prices drop like a rock as soon as the next one comes out. I think I paid over $3k for my TGIV in 2004/05 and I probably could not get a grand for it today...that is ok, because I have no desire to sell it.

Here are some pix of my room, you can see at one time I had a chorus 1 for a center between the Khorns. I also had the C1s as mains with a Forte center and 3 academies in the back for 6.1. Final configuration is Khorns up front with your old Belle as a center and 4 H1s for surrounds and sides.

http://mantistech.com/klipsch/RichsRoom.htm

I tried to sneak an RC 64 Ref into my all Heritage system- Did not work- I have listened to several combos- (not Achademy or Heresey)- and could not beat the lascalla center. I just happen to have an extra one for sale or trade. I am using my center lascala with K horns- cornwall surrounds and commercial Lascala rears. IMHO you really need a Lascala center with LS or KH fronts- matching horns is very important. I am in NC in case of any interest. I elevated my rear lascalas and my center to match the height of the K - horns. using an ES sony receiver with assorted SS outboards. Sony 550 BR -DVD-Direct TV-

After much changing- spending and fiddling- it is pretty sweet.

I am sure you will love it once you get it right.

My vote would also be for the Trio of La Scala's in the front. Three matching speakers in the front is the absolute best way to go. Heresy's in the rear.

Use the center La Scala as your TV stand like I do. If the above is not feasible or practical in your space I would have to suggest a Heresy or Cornwall. The Cornwall could also serve as the TV stand if the base on it is not too large.

thanks alot for all the replys, i would love to do a k-horn / lascala ht but that may be a stretch not sure, i have a basement room i am setting up that is 24 x 16 and it would serv well i beleive , however 5 heritage plus a sub in a room this size seems like overkill (definate hearing damage if you loose control) on a posative note the wife saw the pics of your systems and said " i wouldnt mind something like that " so i guess there is hope !!!!!!!!!! now as long as the lascalla lady doesnt back out last moment things should be good

Joe

Joe, I had the Chorus II and Academy setup for quite a while and it was darn good. I moved to the Belles w/Academy center and it didn't suk but was not matched correctly. I ended up with three Belles but the TV is too high by a little but it's getting old and when I get a small footprint LCD/Plasma it'll be better: You can get by with an Academy for some time if one was available for temporary price.

The Academy is a fine center, but not for the true Heritage. I ran one between Heresys and didn't like it. Between Chorus IIs or Fortes, though, it's fantastic.

Congrats on your Scalas. I'm in agreement with the shaven-headed fellow from Maryland with regards to advice for your setup.

I have tried the Heresy II. Too bad at all, but lacks the effortless dynamics, and needs a lot of dB trim on the receiver to keep up. But I have a simple wall-mount design if you are interested.

The best would be a 5th La Scala, or as someone else has suggested sell one to purchase a pair of Heresy II (and maybe the upgrade to Heresy III kit). That is close to my current position. I used to have:

La Scala mains and Heresy II center

then, Klipschorn mains, Heresy II center and La Scala surrounds.

When I designed a new room, I decided that I was waisting the La Scala back there so now I have a 6.1 system with 3 Heresy II in the back, Klipschorns as main and a single La Scala center. Where's the second La Scala? Well, I couldn't bear to sell it so it's on permanent loan to a good friend who is using it as a center between his two Klipschorns!

I run a pair of Heresy II's as center-wired in series-one on either side of my equiptment and TV console-sounds great-the reciever thinks it's one 16 ohm speaker and handles it with no problem and it matches the Khorns perfectly. I actually have an Academy in the garage I just bought but haven

t tried it out yet-I'm still refinishing it.

Your getting great advice here, much of the differences are just preferance.

I personally have tried Lascalla's, with a HII center. Liked if better than the Academy.

I have a pair of Chorus's, With academy, don't like it as much as a HII, but the HII is a difficult shape to incorporate into a center speaker.

I have a pair of Forte's. The Academy is a match made in heaven with the Forte's. Their both a little smoother, laid back sound and the volume's match better.

The Chorus, Heresy II's seem to be a better match set to each other, and match better to true Heritage.

I personally have been wanting to find a rogue Chorus, lay it on it's side and use it as a center. I feel that would be the best compromise for true heratige, and even though it's a big speaker, it will fit as a center better than a Heresy.

I love the suggestions and the link to the HT room. I have had an Outlaw Audio 150 rcvr that was damaged in Katrina. Just replaced it with a used Onkyo 805. Although the top of the 805 gets toasty it offers a wider range of options than the older 1050 and I honestly think it sounds better. (However, Outlaw service and support is outstanding). The 805 can also decode all of the new Dolby and DTS stuff and has Burr Brown DACs. I have yet to try only using the pre amp outs and using sep SS amps to keep the top cool, if that would even work. I would also consider popping the top off to see if I could disconnect the internal amp. The 805 also has an auto set up, but I simply used a RS sound meter for set up.

I have Khorns up front in the main room, but have not yet used a LS as a center. I have used Academies since 1993. I bought my 1st Acad from a store that had old Paul Klipsch visiting that day. But I suspect that the LS would be better, same horns after all. Also, a bigger spkr will offer a bigger "sound stage". FYI PWK designed the Heresy I to match the Khorn. But I forget if he intented the H Is as a center or surrounds. In my system, the Acad is an inch above the floor and the rear proj 60" sony TV sits just above it on a shelf. Yet, I have noticed that sound seems to low - ei from the floor, not the person talking on the TV. I have a second Academy, but due to construction at home have yet to mount it above the TV to balance the center channel sound placement.

I am currently planning to bring a LS into my bedroom for center channel use. Due to space issues, I have tower WF-34s for LT and RT. I could use a H I for LT ok, but no space for the RT H I now. I have a posting in the modification forum, as I plan to use a horizontally placed LS and possibly remove the horns and place them on top of the 55" proj TV in the bedroom.

Please look at any fixing up on the Xovers. All of my spkrs need help. My KHs, LSs, HIs are 30 yrs old, HIIs are 20 yrs old and Acads (2) must be 15 yrs old now. Still thinking about ALKs for KHs and LSs (AA networks), not sure about the Heresys. Any thoughts as to Acads needing new parts at 15 yo?

Fun hobby ain't it :)