OT: Costco, BJ�s, Sam�s Club or Walmart?

Colin

Do you have a membership at more than one large box retail club? Why?

Where do you go to buy what things?

What things are the best deals at which store?

Which store has the best bargains on which items?

Why do we have stores called Badcock, BJs and Fudpuckers anyway?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a membership at Sam's first but now I have one at CostCo.

Just like any store, some things are a deal and others are not. I really like CostCo better then Sam's for a few reasons. CostCo sends out coupons that are good for the month, you might not ever need most of the things but with a few things the savings are great. Also the way the frozen things are packaged at CostCo is better to divide then the like items from Sam's. Last, if I remember correct, the membership for CostCo was $50 but during that first year if you don't like the place you will get your money back, that was the deal breaker for me.

You also have to remember that both Sam's and CostCo have there own line of products, so if you are use to one they will not carry it at the other. I learned this when I switched from Sam's. I would also say that CostCo has the higher name quality items, but they are not permanent, they get things in and maybe a few months later they no longer carry it. That might be the only down side.

If you know anyone that has a membership to either place have them take you along so you can see for yourself.

James

I shop at Wal-Mart for automotive products and deodorant/personal hygiene items. Its always an interesting adventure going there, you never know what kind of people you'll run into.

My wife shops at Sam's Club for big grocery purchases and items in bulk that will last us a long time.

There's a Costco nearby but I've never been to it.

I have a membership at Sams club. Is it me or do they get manufacturers to make versions of products just for them?

Kinda makes it hard to compare prices.

Sams sells the Model: BDP-BX1 model Blu Ray Player. Who else has that one?

Sonys TVs there have different model #s and features than those found at other retailers like BestBuy, etc.

We have a Costco membership and it's more than paid for itself. We were there doing some shopping a couple days ago and I picked up a Denon DVD-758 for $69.99. I got the second to the last one they had and one of the employees said that they were flying off the shelf.

Sonys TVs there have different model #s and features than those found at other retailers like BestBuy, etc.

That's classic marketing. As a distributor you never sell the same model number to different chains in the same market area. It prevents price wars/competition.

I have a membership to both Costco and Sams club, for just two reasons.

Sams club; one of the few places in Canada where I could get the factory 20 inch Pireli's, they are half the price of the Ford dealership.

Costco; Great deals on lagre amounts of meat and sour keys (candy[:P])

I am a dedicated Costco buyer here. My wife and I live and work here in the city during the week and on weekends we are out at our house. Buying in bulk and dividing it up, works out economically for us. They may not have the greatest deals on every single item but over all, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying anything in a NYC supermarket. Outdoor furniture, shed, power washer, couches, car tires, paper goods to say nothing of their excellent rib eye steaks etc all get bought at Costco. I do get annoyed with their stocking policy, you find something you like but if it doesn't sell enough, you'll never see it again. Mrs. May's Cashew Crunch for example, great product, absolutely addicting and never to be seen again. . Now if the politicians in NY State would let Costco sell booze in their stores I would be really happy.

During these tough economic times our motto is, "If we can't buy it at Costco, we don't need it."

• Moderators

Do you have a membership at more than one large box retail club? Why?

Where do you go to buy what things?

What things are the best deals at which store?

Which store has the best bargains on which items?

Why do we have stores called Badcock, BJs and Fudpuckers anyway?

Sounds like you're doing some research?

I never shop at any of the stores you mentioned. I had a membership to Sam's Club for one year, and never really went there. I shop at Meijer mostly, sometimes Target.

I'll drive whatever it takes to avoid a Walmart, so naturally I avoid Sams as well. I typically shop BJs since that's the only other game in town. I love steak, and BJs has great meat. I'll go there once every 4-5 months or so and buy a whole tendreloin or rib eye. The price you end up paying is half what you'd pay in the grocery store, and the meat FAR superior.

Along the way I pick up beer, wine, parmasan, socks, tires, etc etc.

Sure you have to part with some funds, but far cheaper in the long run than shopping at the grocery store etc.

I hate walmart and will not support a corp that trashes American workers the way they do. I know it's a futile gesture, but it makes me feel better.

My neighbors just left....time to go blast the Klipsch!

Our only "big box" store here is Costco. I resisted joining until I learned that they are an excellent place to work. Way higher pay than their competitors, good health benefits, and their CEO makes a rational salary. After we joined, I would talk to employees whenever I could, and they confirm the good place to wrok story. We have a small list of things we buy regularly that are just way cheaper than anywhere else in town. We buy our gas there too. Yes

I read an article a few weeks ago, and i think it was the ceo of costco describing the challenges that they're currently facing. according to the article, over 60% of their revenue comes from the membership fees, so he has to be careful not to increase the prices so much that it drives people to a regular store; yet still keep making money.