Smallest room size for Belles...

Hashimoto

I'm new here so go easy... I've been warned about you guys. Yes, I have searched the archives and I imagine I'll get the same variety of responses but here goes:

I'm looking for efficient speakers (yes, for 300B SETs. Modified Bottlehead Parabees, DC heaters, very quiet, parafeed design w. better low end than most other 300BSETs I've heard). I have an opportunity to buy a pair of early 90s Belles. How well will they work in a 10' X 16' room? Yes, they can be placed in the corners, but only along the short wall.

I say put the best speaker you can in the room. I say go for it. Belles are among my favorites. I ran mine with George Wright WLA12A preamp and Canary Audio 300B SET amps. It was one of the best systems I have owned. My small room size was an advantage IMO.

10' X 16' is a great size room for Belle's Mr. Moto. Place the Belle's on the long wall 2 1/2 feet from the side walls and about 12 to 16"s from the back wall and you should get great sound in your sweetspot. We ran Me Loves K-Horns in a room just under those mesurements in Hope 2006 and the sounded excellent so don't equate the size of your speaker to the room as a matter a fact I have found it easier to tweak a small room for sound than a large one[;)]

As with Seti's Canary 300B's you are really going to love the Belle's in a light watt set system, something magical about sub 10 watt set on Belle's[Y]

• Moderators

I've been warned about you guys.

[:D] Were not that bad, sometimes we just don't listen and always willing to spend your $. [Y]

Being they have to go on the short wall and don't have to go directly in the corner like the Khorn and can be turned to point in the right direction I would think the Belles would be just right in a 10'x 16' room, much better than a square room. One thing about Belles if you don't over pay you could always sell them and get your money back if you want to try something else.

Have a friend that had 300B's with LaScala's, and the same room size, with the LS on the long wall 12 ft. apart.Sounded wonderful.

Helped him move in Belles and heard them the same day. All I can say is, it was outstanding, the Belles bottom end was substanctially better. Some say that can't be, all I know in his setup it was.

If they are a fair price I don't see how you can go wrong.

t

Toe the Belles in until you get it right. You'll know when you got it.

Have a friend that had 300B's with LaScala's, and the same room size, with the LS on the long wall 12 ft. apart.Sounded wonderful.

Helped him move in Belles and heard them the same day. All I can say is, it was outstanding, the Belles bottom end was substanctially better. Some say that can't be, all I know in his setup it was.

If they are a fair price I don't see how you can go wrong.

t

I was told at a klipsch pilgrimage that the La Scala I bass bins flexed because they were deeper but if you compare and prone to flexing. The Belles bass bins aren't as deep. That little difference in bass bin shape improved the bass performance of the Belle. Now the La Scala II's are made of thicker wood and don't suffer from this problem anymore. Some people with La Scala I's add bracing to stiffen the side panels and this works as well.

If the price is right go and get them. Mine are not in corners and are about 12 feet apart on center. Pulling them out from the wall some and a little toe in improves the sound a lot. Got to let them breath. 10 watts from the Mac SS integrated is outstanding. What are you waiting for? Go get them and see for yourself. Later Bill

Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

Long wall placement is not an option. They would have to go on the short wall.

Are you crazy? MODIFY THE ROOM!!!!!. What kind of audiophile are you anyway?

[:P]

BTW, the smallest room size for a Belle would be 35.625" x 30.125" x 18.75" + whatever additional space you need to fit in for yourself, and any other equipment, if necessary.

[;)]

Long wall placement is not an option. They would have to go on the short wall.

I have mine o the short wall and they are fine.

I do think abut coupling them to the floor with spikes sometime. Also openingup the woofer access and gently retorqing the bolts.

In my retirment home I bought last fall I have a reasonably large long wall aand only a partial back wall. In future years the Belles will be there I look forward to the improvment.

Belles will work fine in any sized room. They work fine in corners too. But like any big Heritage speaker, they will only really reach their very high potential in larger rooms with nice high ceilings. Don't let this stop you though. When I first set my Belles up in a smallish room, I thought they were the best sounding speakers ever. Then I moved them to a much larger room. It was at that point that the sound quality went from fantastic to OMG!

post-15368-13819555601112_thumb.jpg

post-15368-13819582472368_thumb.jpg

Belles will work fine in any sized room. They work fine in corners too. But like any big Heritage speaker, they will only really reach their very high potential in larger rooms with nice high ceilings. Don't let this stop you though. When I first set my Belles up in a smallish room, I thought they were the best sounding speakers ever. Then I moved them to a much larger room. It was at that point that the sound quality went from fantastic to OMG!

[Y] Pulled out a little and toed in [Y]