Best Klipsch speakers

kgriz

I am kind of in a bind right now. I have two EPI 180's, two Infinity RSe's, and a velodyne subwoofer. I listen to a lot of 2.1 for music but also love to watch movies. I think I could get around $400 out of the four speakers still keeping the subwoofer. I am having trouble deciding what to buy once I sell the speakers. Obviously I want Klipsch but I do not know which ones. I think I can stretch my budget to about 500. I want the all around best sounding klipsch. I also want them to be very loud (AKA shake your house loud). I am running a Yamaha HTR 3750 103w/ch 5 ch. receiver, which I could sell if the speakers you recommend would do better with a different receiver.

Also in the future when my wallet is a little thicker I want to be able to match these with 3 more for a 5.1 setup.

My question is what is the best sounding, loudest Klipsch floor speaker old or new I do not care. Still keeping in mind my 500 dollar budget. However, I like the fact that old Klipsch speakers hold their value very well, and I like the look of old (I am only 19, so yes they are old). Also could you recommend what other 3 speakers I should match with the two fronts later on down the road.

I hope you guys can help me spend my money well.

Thanks for all the help,

Kevin

Don't expect to shake the house for $500, but a used pair of Heresy IIs would get you started and would make good surround speakers once you've saved up enough to get a pair of La Scalas or Cornwalls. Those should give you the volume you want. 5 Heresies would be good, too.

I agree that Heresy's would fit the bill. Forte's and Chorus's also. Watch the garage sale and CL etc., won't take long to see a good used pair.

I don't know anything about the newer (non Heritage) products. Perhaps someone who does can suggest something.

You CAN rock the house on $500.

Easy.

If you watch CraigsList and TAKE YOUR TIME.

A good 110 to 120 watt Receiver can be found for $100 to $150 tops, if you take your time and wait for the right deal.

I bought a Yamaha RX-V2400 (120 W.P.C.) for $120 from my local CL.

I also got a pair of nice kg4 for $50 but you might need to spend $100.

A cheap pair of kg1.2 or kg1.5 could be found for $50 to $75 or even a rough pair of kg2's for those prices.

Lastly a KV1 or 2 or 3 as a center channel and you have a 5.1 system that WILL rock the house.

Way under $500.

Noah

If you are willing to pay $500 I would go with the Forte or Forte IIs. $500 for a pair of Fortes they should be in mint condition. $500 for Forte IIs in good condition is a good price.

Heresys and other speakers mentioned are all good speakers but to me the Forte is the one I would suggest.

I owned Heresys and now have Fortes. The Fortes have much better bass and are a very balanced speaker the Heresys bass is not as low and can be a bit bright(that is how my Heresys sounded to me).

Don't expect to shake the house for $500, .

I don't use a sub in my home theater but use Fortes for the L/R speakers and they rattle the windows/walls. So for $500 bucks you can get Fortes which has lower bass than the my La Scalas did.

A Heresy works great for a center channel and rears if you want to do a home theater.

If shaking the house is a priority, you can do it with either the Forte or Chorus with no problem and if you search carefully can get in that $500 range with some patience -- the Chorus will be slightly more expensive than the Forte. You won't need a subwoofer with either.

Welcome, as a fan of the Heritage/Extended Heritage lineup I will also cast a vote for the Heresy. You should be able to find a respectable pair in the $300-$350 range, which would still leave you some money in the till. Given your age and limited income, they represent the best bang for the buck. Over time as your income and living space grows you can easily add the additional Heresy's as needed. No problem with synergy or timbre matching and 5 Heresy speakers will certainly ratttle the windows for dvd watching. Over time you can work your way up the ladder to the larger speakers, Chorus, Cornwalls and such. Be patient, if a good deal falls into your lap, say on some Fortes, do not hesitate, you won't regret it. The folks here will be glad to give you an honest assessment of their worth if you could link to ,or provide some pictures of the speakers. Keep us posted on what develops.Good luck.

You can rock the house for$500

Bigger is better

All vintage Klipsch need a subwoofer, even the Khorn, which goes down to 30-Hz

I have been tracking vintage Klipsch model re-sales for several years now. The data is old, but with the pullback in prices recently, it may provide a guide to what to look for and expect:

• If Quartets are like KG 2s then three sales on eBay average $347.
  • Four dozen Heresy pair sales on eBay, in 2004 and 2006, sell from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $405. Shipping averages $80.
Posted: 5/2/2006
  • Fortes I and IIs are similar to Chorus models, though less-sensitive, and roll off slowly below 200Hz. In 2004, a half-dozen pairs sold on eBay from a remarkable $158 to a high of $930. In 2006, a few moderate sales lowered the average to $550. Shipping averages $100.
Posted: 5/2/2006
  • The Chorus uses a 15" woofer, but although only to 39Hz instead of the 12" Forte woofer at 32Hz. Chorus sound much like Cornwalls, but with a narrow, more modern looking, practical cabinet. The Chorus are larger and weigh 22 more pounds than Fortes. Klipsch specs show Chorus above Cornwall models, with the same sensitivity, but less of a fall below 50Hz. Chorus are cheap to the market compared to Cornwalls. On eBay sales in 2004 and spring 2006, Chorus sales average $559, with shipping at $215.
  • Posted: 5/2/2006
  • Cornwalls I and IIs do NOT have horn loaded bass, have smaller mid-range horn than the larger Heritage models, but still have 15” woofer and amazing 100 dB/w/m sensitivity. Despite their size, they still fall off quickly below 50Hz. From 2-dozen eBay sales in 2005 and 2006, Corns sold from $550 to $1,400. An exception was in 2004, when a pair went for $1,800, but generally Corns average $930, about the same as the last 2 years. Shipping is usually not specified.
  • Posted: 5/2/2006

Per Gary's suggestion, hold out for Cornwalls, even if you have to save a few more dollars to get them. You will not regret it. Next to the mighty Klipschorn, the Cornwall is the best speaker Paul Klipsch ever made (IMO of course).