OT: Forty years since

Daddy Dee

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching the moon walk on TV. Quite fascinating as a 7 year old. I'm sure I at least saw the launch on replay if not live. Quite an accomplishment though I'm sure I didn't come close to understanding it at the time.

The following description of the Nixon White House preparation for the moon landing is good reading: http://books.google.com/books?id=xahIAOPX8JwC&pg=PA151&lpg=PA143&ots=BQgrceCqjx&dq=Bill+Safire+on+moon+landing&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html

Of course, after all the praying and fuss over it, ya couldn't go back and fix errors after the plaque was left way up there on the moon. The date of "July 20, 1969 A.D." is universe-famous. However, note the letter at the end of the above chapter: http://books.google.com/books?id=xahIAOPX8JwC&pg=PA151&lpg=PA143&ots=BQgrceCqjx&dq=Bill+Safire+on+moon+landing&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html

NASA's greatest achievement has been their albatross.

They made spaceflight seem "routine." After Apollo 11, we beat the Russians to the moon and people stopped caring. With the will and the excitement and the drive, the desire to continue funding also dried up. People talk about how much money NASA wastes, but in NASA's entire existance, all of their annual budgets combined are less than the TARP bailout.

We finally build a space station - the job the Shuttle was original designed to do, and they're already talking about scuttling the station a few years after it's completed.

I'm really looking forward to the Constellation program and test launch of the first Ares I-X later this year. It's long since time we returned to the moon, and beyond. I only hope the programs aren't cut to pay for corporate bailouts.

My poor old Grandmother said that
space travel was a bunch of crap and i always argued with her. But as I
got older I started to think about it and I personally can't say or
prove that she was wrong. Sorry Grandma.

Would an eye witness account of astronauts getting in a Space Shuttle, launching into space, then getting out of the Orbiter when it lands help? [:)]

The date of "July 20, 1969 A.D." is universe-famous.

Well, as the letter mentions, it was a little mistake. At least July was spelled right. With the mistakes you see nowadays in the press, even on magazine covers, I wouldn't grumble too much about that date.

I was too young to rembember, I'm only 41. I have always thought we really went, but there is that 1% of my mind the questions it. So what I want to know is what you guys will think it for example it takes us 6 days to get there (from takeoff).

If it takes longer to get to the moon now then it did then, I think I would have to switch camps to join the scham crowd. THOUGHTS?

Next year 2010 is the planned retirement of the space shuttle program with the last scheduled flights of the remaining space shuttles. However the next generation spacecraft is planned, the Orion part of project constellation with a possible first manned launch in 2014 at the earliest.

The Orion will be a mostly reusable spacecraft like the space shuttle, however it should add the capabilities of further space travel to the moon and possibly even Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle

Would an eye witness account of astronauts getting in a Space Shuttle, launching into space, then getting out of the Orbiter when it lands help? Smile

Exactly [Y] One point all conspiracy theorists miss is this; any deception on the scale of the moon landing, or Area 51 would require many, many people. Eventually, these people would want to talk and expose the truth for their own personal satisfaction, money, or a clear conscious on their deathbed. No one has come forward yet...

I've got a folder somewhere.... contained in it are 8 1/2 x 11 or close to that, pictures of them while on the moon.

I do not have ANY clue where Mom/Dad (Dad) got these but they are prints from the pictures they had as they were walking on the moon. The clarity is as clear as any picture you would take with a Hasselblad type camera.

I have these at home... might be 5 pictures or 15 for all I remember. Not that many. Unfortunately, they are prints and I don't have a scanner anymore for prints. The scanner I've been using is specifically for slides and negatives.

If there is any interest in seeing these pictures, I don't mind trying to find them and having them scanned.

Memory says there is one of "the footprint", one of the plaque they left behind on the base of the LEM (I think they called it?) maybe a picture or two of them walking around. I don't remember as it's been years since I've looked at them. Heck...truth be told, it's possible they were not Apollo 11 but they WERE very clean/clear pictures.

Would an eye witness account of astronauts getting in a Space Shuttle, launching into space, then getting out of the Orbiter when it lands help? Smile

Exactly Yes One point all conspiracy theorists miss is this; any deception on the scale of the moon landing, or Area 51 would require many, many people. Eventually, these people would want to talk and expose the truth for their own personal satisfaction, money, or a clear conscious on their deathbed. No one has come forward yet...

Well, that, and I used to work for NASA back in the 90's. I've seen first hand astronauts get in the Shuttle, launch, and land, then get out of the shuttle. I can't say that about Apollo, though. That was a bit before my time. I was only 4 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. [:P]

Ok assuming the Sumarians didn't beat us to the moon. Yes I am a 12th Planet fan. One of the most important events of the entire human race and the idiots recorded over the tape. They made Sci-Fi and Heinlein a reality but erased the tapes. Poor form NASA. The embarassment is so sad. They had the absolute best cameras and lenses of the day on that trip... Dohhh. The astronauts need to kick some NASA a$$.

I've seen first hand astronauts get in the Shuttle, launch, and land, then get out of the shuttle

Ahhhh Grasshopper....but you missed everything in between which makes you a perfect shill for the people who say it really happened! [;)]