Anyone have any experiance with Nakimichi Cassette decks?

tuned4life

I bought a 480 new and still have it. Also bought a LX-5 and just recently sent it to my son. No other cassette deck sounds as good as a nak. One caveat: tapes recorded on a different deck will not sound as good on a nak, but on the bright side tapes recorded on a nak will sound fine on a different deck. It's hard to imagine owning any other deck brand, although there may be a few exceptions.

I bought a 480 new and still have it. Also bought a LX-5 and just recently sent it to my son. No other cassette deck sounds as good as a nak. One caveat: tapes recorded on a different deck will not sound as good on a nak, but on the bright side tapes recorded on a nak will sound fine on a different deck. It's hard to imagine owning any other deck brand, although there may be a few exceptions.

oldtimer,

Saw that one comming! [;)]

Roger

Because of the way things are I rarely buy any thing that has to be shipped. As far as eBay audio purchases go, this was right up near the top. I couldn't help but crack a little smile when I saw how flawless it was. I have had some time to play with it. All funtions work perfectly. Need to figure out how exactly to manually adjust the bias.

Agreed the Nakamichi tape decks were the best of the best. I did have a Teac R-999X that would easily compare and actually bested most Nak decks from a specification standpoint. I would like to see a Teac R-999X compared 1 on 1 with the Nak DRAGON.

I owned an RX-202, RX-505 and the absolutely killer although manual adjustment ZX-9. The DRAGON is still tops and the CR-7A was a stunning unit.

The older and huge 1000ZXL were pretty amazing. I got rid of all my cassette decks and home recorded tapes years ago.

I also had the automotive version of one of their decks the Nakamichi TD-700 that rivaled the home decks, and when tapes recorded on my RX-505 were played back recorded on TDK MAX-G Metal Frame (best there is) cassettes they sounded better than most CD's. It had a manual azumith adjustment to fine tune the highs.

They made a car DRAGON as well the TD-1200 & TD-1200II these decks can be had for killer prices these days with the advent of the crappy digital media like AA3, MP3 files and such.