any chocolate connesiuers?

BigStewMan

Personally, I hate chocolate. I think it's pure evil and probably made by BOSE. But, I met a lady and she loves chocolate. She mentioned that her favorite is very hard to find and comes from Germany. If she mentioned the name--I don't remember. I want to surprise her and if I ask her the name of that German chocolate, that would be a sure give away. I'd appreciate hearing from any of you that can recommend what you believe to be "The World's Best Chocolate." Price is not an issue at all and I'll even order it from another country if it isn't available in the USA. So, help a divorced brother score a few points with an amazing woman. Thanks! --Steve--

If I knew the name I could hook you up with some...

some of the best known German choco that I know are Hachez, Lindt, Feodora, Most and Rausch on the top end. Milka and Ritter Sport in the normal (Hersheys) quality. There is also MonCherie (choco with a alcahol cherry in the middle) Ferrieo Roche (Chololate with nugat creme and hazel nuts) which go over good. Chocolate is like beer, a lot of producers and the smaller, the more exclusive...

For Brownie points I would probably go with the Hachez or Lindt, the German choco is not as sweet as the American and has a different texture, good luck!!!

• Moderators

She doesn't like the dark stuff? Not a con-is-sewer then. Google your subject and go from there. The French also have some awesome chocolatiers.

Your right, I had tried a bunch of different French chocolates and "anything worth having" according to the people who know was dark chocolate and was measured by the %. That's all I remember, I just eat them, didn't care to study them but I do love the dark strong not sweet chocolate.

Lindt is pretty good yes.. we have it quite often.. get it at most grocerie stores up here in and around montreal.

they also make these lil trufle balls called Lindor.. to die for. milk chocolate,,, white and dark.

BUT. for a great treat try some belgian chocolates.

there may be a store near you

http://www.leonidas.com/pralines?id=HOMEEN&cid=230

A little about the sweet brown stuff from other forums (cooking) that I visit. I know all this but it is easier to cut and paste from what has already been written.

Real chocolate a.k.a "Couveture" ONLY has the following
ingredients: Cocoa liquor /or Cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla,
soya lecithin. With the really expensive stuff--$25.o0 a pound stuff,
there's no soya lecithin. The amount is usually less than 1/2 of 1%
anyway, and adding this mimics the effect of adding an additional 10%
of cooca butter.

One of the most valuable ingredients to come from the cocoa bean is
cocoa butter. The pharmaceutical and the skin/make-up people go nuts
and pay top dollar for this. Cocoa butter is what gives chocolate it's
shine, it's snap,and good mouthfeel. Cheap "chocolate" will replace
this cocoa butter with another fat, one that either doesn't melt in
your mouth (giving you a waxy feeling) or one that melts too easy
(greasy/oily feeling), and of course, sell the cocoa butter instead of
putting in chocolate--where it belongs.

When you see chocolate
advertised as "60%", or "70%" etc.. it means that what you are holding
in your hand is 70% cocoa bean product, and the remaining 29% sugar. A
"semisweet" chocolate is usually around 50%, meaning that 49% is sugar.
(figure 1/2 of 1% each for vanilla and lecithin). The percentage
numbere is NO GUARANTEE that the chocolate is good quality, it merely
indicates the cocoa content (and, therefor the sugar content as
well...)

Milk chococolate contains maybe 35% cocoa, with another 25-30% milk powder, and the rest sugar

White
chocolate can not be legaly called "chocolate" in many European
countries. It is comprised of cocoa butter, milk powder, and sugar

"Couverture"
is another name for high quality chocolate, starting at 55% and up.
This is what confectioners use to dip and mold with. It needs to be
tempered.

Most "chocolate chips" you see in the supermarket are
made for cookies. Cocoa butter has been repalced with another fat,
guaranteed not melt in the oven, and is almost impossible to melt over
hot water to use for other items. It's usually pretty lousy.

In addition to the European goodies add a small box of See's. I have yet to meet a chocolate lover that does not like See's. Warren Buffet bought the company for a reason: It has a sustainable competitive advantage, i.e., he bet big money that their product will be extremely hard to beat. I agree with Buffet.

Bill

Personally, I hate chocolate. I think it's pure evil and probably made by BOSE. But, I met a lady and she loves chocolate. She mentioned that her favorite is very hard to find and comes from Germany. If she mentioned the name--I don't remember. I want to surprise her and if I ask her the name of that German chocolate, that would be a sure give away. I'd appreciate hearing from any of you that can recommend what you believe to be "The World's Best Chocolate." Price is not an issue at all and I'll even order it from another country if it isn't available in the USA. So, help a divorced brother score a few points with an amazing woman. Thanks! --Steve--

Big Stew as others have indicated, the choc is probably Lindt --- but since you are on this forum and you like expensive toys and she's a new flame you need to test your ability to lie very early in the relationship. Buy her a hersheys bar and tell her the Lindt thing is a scam since Lindt is a division of Hersheys. If she lets you get away with this lie -- she is really into you... If she calls you out, get rid of her...she'll never let you buy good hifi... [;)] Since women are smarter than men she will know the truth in either case...

Big Stew as others have indicated, the choc is probably Lindt --- but since you are on this forum and you like expensive toys and she's a new flame you need to test your ability to lie very early in the relationship. Buy her a hersheys bar and tell her the Lindt thing is a scam since Lindt is a division of Hersheys. If she lets you get away with this lie -- she is really into you... If she calls you out, get rid of her...she'll never let you buy good hifi... Wink Since women are smarter than men she will know the truth in either case...

truthfully, my biggest problem is that she believes speakers should not be seen, saying that they're not furniture. fortunately, i've known her for years (before we became involved) and she knows that I'm a Klipschoholic, so "big" speakers will have to be put in a listening room--no arguments from me on having a man cave--besides, i'm sure my street light will end up there, so i might as well have some good tunes to listen to while i watch the colors. And, the woman is way out of my league gorgeous. One of those paradoxes--how someone as beautiful as she is became attracted to me. If I can somehow convince her that it is because of the Klipsch speakers, then KHorns will be in my future too.

Whenever my boss visits New York he always brings back a box of Teuscher chocolates for us. They are actually from Switzerland but they are the best I've ever had. He usually brings home their champagne truffles and they are nothing short of amazing.

http://www.teuscherfifthavenue.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21