Khorns or Belles?

runninshine

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belles are very similar to LaScala. If you don't have proper space for KHorns, I would simply go with LaScala or Belle if you prefer that look.

I lusted for KHorns but that does not change the fact that I haven't the proper space for them. Therefore I do not own a pair of KHorns - I went with the Belles, the closest in sound and good looks as I could get to the KHorns.

OK I've owned both and loved both. If you have good corners the Khorns don't eat up much floor space. They use space very effeciently and tuck right into the corner. If you have room for Belles or La Scalas in corners than Khorns would be an even better fit. Khorns they do go lower of course. The Belles are great. The Belles have better low end than La Scala I's. This is because the cabinet isn't as wide and isn't prone to the flexing. They fixed this in the La Scala II by making the LF of thicker wood. If I had to pick between Khorns or Belles that would really be a tough one. The ability to move the Belles to create a better sweet spot is an advantage in my opinion. The room may be your deciding factor. Look at where your sweet spot would be if your khorns would be in the corners. It sounds like a good problem to have and no matter what decision you make you win. Good Luck!!!!

Well used or New?

New you'd be getting some Klipschorns.

I say go with the testament of time and What 3 Models are still standing.. Heresy, LaScala, and Klipschorn.

Also remember the design intent of the Belle. It was to serve a singe center speaker between two Klipschorns.

..how many more sentences can I write that end in Klipschorn?

Klipschorn!

:-)

Bill

I've owned Both Also, and contrary to popular belief the Khorns take up less space than the Belles. The Khorns tuck neatly into a corner and take up space that virtually goes unused in a room. The Belles However must be place along a flat wall and hence, will remove more living space. If you've got corners, your decision should be Khorns, as they sound much better than Belle.

You need to be just a little further back from Klipshcorns than you do from the Belles. If you are pretty close to the speakers in your room the height of the Belles is a better match imo. The mid and high horns are closer to ear level with the Belles if your sitting in a chair. If you are further back from the speakers and have a pretty deep room the khorns are the clear winner. When I had my Klipschorns in my main listening room I always wanted to put the couch on a riser which I almost did. Like I said though it is a great problem to have. Heritage speakers ROCK!

I have had both. The K Horns are much harder to place and when placed, you need to be at a very certain distance back from them as they are "fixed" in the corners.

The Bells are easier to place and because they are much shorter, they do not seem that imposing. Even though they do not go as deep, I remember my wife was upset about the floors shaking while she was trying to sleep one night from the bass. I was playing the Belles with a 3 WPC SET amp.

Well used or New?

New you'd be getting some Klipschorns.

I say go with the testament of time and What 3 Models are still standing.. Heresy, LaScala, and Klipschorn.

Also remember the design intent of the Belle. It was to serve a singe center speaker between two Klipschorns.

..how many more sentences can I write that end in Klipschorn?

Klipschorn!

:-)

Bill

Weak argument Bill. The design intent of the LaScala was to be a PA speaker for a polital campaign. The "Heresy" is named as such because it had a woofer and was small, and designed to be used as a center.

Weak argument Bill. The design intent of the LaScala was to be a PA speaker for a polital campaign. The "Heresy" is named as such because it had a woofer and was small, and designed to be used as a center.

Then what is the design intent of the Klipschorn? :-) to me it's clear what is the better speaker.

-Bill

Like others here, I have owned both Belles and Klipschorns. I have to say that there is a lot more to the Klipschorn sound than a simple comparison between the Heritage range and the fact than Belles/La Scalas are 'easier' to position. Unlike other Heritage speakers, the Klipschorn, when properly set into corners, will load a room like no other speaker. The room becomes part of the Klipschorn speaker system and vice versa. Soundstaging and imaging are null and void considerations with the Klipschorns, because as other appreciative Klipschorn owners would know, with the mighty Corner Horns you actually feel as though you're one of the performers or part of the show, rather than an onlooker.

I hope I'm not taking too much away from the other Heritage speakers, but PWK had the mix right when he developed these fabulous speakers. [:P]

Acknowledgement is made of the fine restoration work performed by Greg Roberts and for using his beautiful Klipschorn pic...

post-15368-1381952451163_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

why throw in the "mono" , I'm sure your stating what was the format of the media at the time.

Yes that is why I put it because you asked the " design intent ", and sometimes there are people on the forum who don't know how far back that design really goes.

And if you think about it "stereo" has only been around for roughly 60+ years, it's unbelievable how far things have come in that short time.