Khorns or Belles?

runninshine

• Moderators

Then what is the design intent of the Klipschorn?

Accurate reproduction in mono, originally.

I had mono once.

[:o] Well looking at that avatar, it's no wonder, every time I see you your kissing ! [:|][;)]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what is the design intent of the Klipschorn?

Accurate reproduction in mono, originally.

I had mono once.

Surprise Well looking at that avatar, it's no wonder, every time I see you your kissing ! IndifferentWink

I had 5 way surround once too Wink

You had a 5 way once, dang what am I doing wrong.

• Moderators

You had a 5 way once, dang what am I doing wrong.

You're doing fine. Seems his monster cable had corroded inside its sheath, rendering it useless for passing any quality signal.

Huh?

[:$] I am speachless........OK I just don't want to get in trouble with Amy. [;)] Hope he got the required shot for that ! [:^)]

• Moderators

Unlike the Heritage speakers, the Klipschorn, when properly set into corners, will load a room like no other speaker.

Yup! It is a beaultiful thing.

I remember listening in Hope during the Pilgrimage they had the entire heritage line set up in the same room. Same amps, just hit a switch to change speakers. When we switched to the Khorns the sound changed, it was like room was the speaker, it was like the bass was coming from the room and not the speaker. That was the best setup/room I have ever heard Khorns in, by far.

I have now heard Khorns in a few different rooms and every time it was a different sound, the room makes more of a difference with the Khorns than any other speaker I have ever heard.

One other thing I noticed was with some music, rock or music with a lot of different and quick bass tones can sometimes get a little sloppy and congested sounding. Again it could have been the room ?

Can you tell us more about the speakers you have to choose from. You say they are nice; but what year were they made? What finish are they in? What is the price range for each pair?

I have Belle's due to 3 of the 4 corners of my room have doors and there is no way to set up Khorn's properly. I had LaScala's before the Belle's and loved the sound of both; wish I could have had them at the same time to compare their differences. The Belle's are Walnut, the LaScala's were black. The wife hated the black boxes from the moment she saw them. Later Bill

Both sets are from 1985 with walnut finish. My concern with the Khorns is proper placement. My Corns and LSs just sound amazing but, where I would like to place the Khorns just might not due them the justice they deserve.

I am kinda leaning toward the Bells....they both are so beautiful.

I don't "need" another pair of speakers but, for $1500 and just to have the Belles would be pretty great.

Both sets are from 1985 with walnut finish. My concern with the Khorns is proper placement. My Corns and LSs just sound amazing but, where I would like to place the Khorns just might not due them the justice they deserve.

I am kinda leaning toward the Bells....they both are so beautiful.

I don't "need" another pair of speakers but, for $1500 and just to have the Belles would be pretty great.

Well, if you get the Belles, you will always wonder in the back of your mind how much better the Khorns will sound. I know, I was in this position.If you get the Khorns, you will will never look back.I don't know many folks that have went from Khorns to Belles.

Even with improper placement with the Khorns, they will 'stomp all over the Belles'. Before I finished my listening room, I had the Khorns 'floating'in the room. Not even pushed up against the wall. I was totally shocked at how much better they sounded over my Belles. Pushing the Khorns into the corner was an improvement, but not as much as upgrading from the Bellles to the Khorns with improper placement.

I still don't think the Khorns mop the floors with the belles.Stevie Wonder used Belles for monitoring and critical listening.The Khorns overall are better but the belles are great for alot of purposes.

Sure the Belles are great! As are a lot of other speakers. I have a pair of the tiny Tekton Design 4.5 and I can enjoy them immensely. However, if you have a choice between the Khorns or the Belles, the decision is a clear one. That said the Belles are no slouch and no one said that they were.

If I buy the Khorns, is there anything I should look for besides obvious damage and matching #'s. From what I know they have been sitting around unused under a sheet and In a garage. Its been cold as hell(oxymoron I know) here. I just want to make a good purchase and I know pairs come up for sale more than I would expect.

Runninshine,

If you want a hoot (and some more thoughts), do a search in two-channel for "Lascala Klipschorn" or "Belle Klipschorn" (and similar types of searches), and you will find a number of threads in here about people's impressions of the mighty Klipschorn vs. Belle/Lascalas. Interestingly, most of the comments over the past years reflect what you just read in this thread.

There is one more point, however. Yes, overall - the Klipschorn is a larger-sounding, better version of the Belle. BUT, even though both are fully horn loaded, the bass "sound" of both speakers is quite different to my ears. If I preferred rock as my listening choice most of the time, I "might" prefer the bass sound of the Belles. If your listening preferences are primarily non-rock (classical, jazz, blues, pop, and everything else), I'd opt for the Klipschorns.

And yes, I've owned and loved Klipschorns and Belles - and run them both with various passives and actives.

Carl.

P.S. That being said, you also get a shorter (and to my ears - inferior) mid horn with the Belles. So that's something else to consider........

If I buy the Khorns, is there anything I should look for besides obvious damage and matching #'s

Others may differ but in my opinion, I think the most important thing is the 'box' itself. I'd rather buy a pristine chassis with blown drivers for "X" dollars than a fully working unit for the same money, yet has been beaten up cosmetically.

You can always fix the drivers/horns/crossovers much easier than you can fix a gash on the front panel.

So, for me it's more about the box.