OT - Help me pick a pool pump - 2 or variable speed.

tigerwoodKhorns

My pump on my pool is shot so I want to replace the pump and motor at once. Here are the specs:

Inground

1.5" lines

abut 16,000 galllons or so

Just the pool and a ayward cleaner, spa is on a separate system. Equipment is lose to the pool (about 15 feet away).

Old pump was a Hayward 1.0 HP Suerpump II

I ran the pump about 6 to 8 hours a day in the summer and 3 or 4 hours in the winter. Our electricity is about 12 cents per KWH. I understand the savings of running at a much lower output for a much longer time because of the exponential relationship.

I want to get either a variable speed pump (about $800 for a Hayward) or a 2 speed pump (about $400). I can also get a Superpump II 1.5 P new on Craigslist for $200 but I know that this is a bad idea. The guys at the pool store are telling me to get a 1 or 1.5 P pump. I know that this is bad advice.

I am assuming that a 1.0 HP 2 speed pump will do the trick. I will print out the calc sheets tomorrow and try to figure this out. But does a 2 speed pump run at 1/2 speed in low speed? I want to make sure that the low speed will be able to overome the head (I will assume 60 feet). I also figure that a variable speed pump will not be worth it because I will only use up to 1 HP when running my cleaner (because my lines are only 1.5"). The variable speed pumps are 30% more efficient because of the motor design too, but will that be worth it? My power bills are $100+ in the winter and we have natural gas, so I assume that is almost all the pool and spa motors.

Now my spa is another story. Abut 40 gallons and it has a 2 HP pump and 1.5" lines. Sounds like a bad match. I assume that a variable speed pump will be good here because I can run it at its lowest setting for normal circulation and then up to 2 HP for actual use.

Some help please!

nether get a sta-rite dura glas 1 hp complete pump. the best pump you can buy. and will save you money in the long run.. how ?? say you screw up the motor 200.00. a 2 speed about 450.00. JUST THE MOTOR ! New pool owners take about 3-5 motors before they get there act together and you can do the math.

sta rite dura glas pumps motors are high off the ground. the unit will last longer .. look for your local pool pump motor repair guy and ask him what he would use on his pool !! save hundreds .. remember a clean pool is a safer pool !

• Moderators

that is a experience to have swimming in a nice warm pool in the winter while its snowing. I have done it and loved it .. http://www.snowshoemtn.com/todo/win-activities/splitRock_pools/index.htm ..........ya baby...... chicks and cold weather swimsuits need I say more

I don't know about that, tried it in Las Vegas a long time ago, about 25 degrees outside, got out of the outdoor Hot tub and had to run to the room. [:#]

Now my spa is another story. Abut 40 gallons and it has a 2 HP pump and 1.5" lines. Sounds like a bad match. I assume that a variable speed pump will be good here because I can run it at its lowest setting for normal circulation and then up to 2 HP for actual use.

Ok now the spa. yes a 2 speed is the trick saves big money and again the sta rite is the pump, prob is cost. but i just saved you a bunch on on the other pump so you are all set with pumps that will last a lifetime if you take care of them. i have seen these pumps 40 years old. had one in from 1972 the other day . the pump that changed the pool industry !

sorry I DON'T SHIP sorry .. this is the pump !.you can get parts for this.every pump other than this pump is a waist of money ! ?? can you buy parts for your pump at ACE ?? a shaft seal lasts about 3-6 years i had one of my shaft seals the other day that made it 8 years.. your pump needs to be EASY to service AND cheap parts that you can walk in to the pool store and buy on the spot CHEAP and have YOUR POOL UP AND RUNNING THE SAME DAY . DIRTY OR GREEN POOLS ARE A SAFETY ISSUE ! Drowning Is #1 Cause of Death Among Children. FLORIDA . you can't save a kid you can't see in a green pool... remember a clean pool is a safer pool ! img src="http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o289/MOTORWIZ/Picture849-1-1.gif"> The Sta-Rite Dura Glas is one of the most popular swimming pool pumps in the industry for over 30 years. Some of the best features of the Dura Glas Pumps are that they are used for inground installations as well as inground hot tubs and other water features such as fishponds and water gardens. These pumps are made from glass reinforced composite resin one of the strongest in the industry !! .... and the best i have seen

nether get a sta-rite dura glas 1 hp complete pump. the best pump you can buy. and will save you money in the long run.. how ?? say you screw up the motor 200.00. a 2 speed about 450.00. JUST THE MOTOR ! New pool owners take about 3-5 motors before they get there act together and you can do the math. sta rite dura glas pumps motors are high off the ground. the unit will last longer .. look for your local pool pump motor repair guy and ask him what he would use on his pool !! save hundreds .. remember a clean pool is a safer pool !

Thanks, I will look into these, but the cost of the pump is a small factor.

Each pump is about $40 to $50 per month to run. If I can trim that way down with a 2 speed pump, these things will pay for themselves.

Why don't you replace the pump with the factory recommended replacement part? How hard is that? The new part is probably a more efficient design anyway or will operate more efficiently because it is new. You could check into that to be sure or ask the manufacturer if they offer a more energy efficient model. You could actually reduce the efficiency by introducing a pump not made for your filter or plumbing setup.

Why don't you replace the pump with the factory recommended replacement part? How hard is that? The new part is probably a more efficient design anyway or will operate more efficiently because it is new. You could check into that to be sure or ask the manufacturer if they offer a more energy efficient model. You could actually reduce the efficiency by introducing a pump not made for your filter or plumbing setup.

It is actually very hard. There is no factory recommended part. There are just a bunch of yahoo's building pools who don't need none of that engineer'in stuff anyhow. They all oversize pumps and undersize plumbing. I was told at the pool supply house to upsize the pump. Ain't noth'in like a big block with a huge Holley 1100 cfm carb right??

Here is an example of the pool, here is a rule of thumb, at least 10 pipe diameters of pipe length at the inlet to the pump to get the flow smoothed out before it enters the pump. I have maybe 1/2 of that, but hey, why try to do things right when you have another job to do. I was an engineer years ago and used to design water systems, there is actually a science to it, but you would never guess it that way things are slapped together.

A little research shows that most pools have oversized pumps, exceed pressure and velocity, waste power and wear out equipment in the process. Water flowing quickly has a lot of friction and increased pressure, which wastes an exponential amount of power and wears out equipment. But I can impress my friend when I tell them that I have a 2 HP pump...

Another goood example. When I replaced our lawn, I did the proper calcs and used the rigth sized pipes, proper amount of heads on any branch, head to head coverage, etc. and went with water efficient dripping for our 85 trees. Because I didn't just do things the same half assed way, my water bills went from $450 to $500 per month down to $150 in the summer months.

Pump head, inlet/outlet size, horsepower, rpm, pipe bend radius, pressure, length of run, impeller size and design and the size of the piping are all figured for maximum efficiency, Change one thing and you blow the whole deal. How do I know this? I went to pump school and passed. It ain't as easy as it seems.

JJK

• Moderators

Now my spa is another story. Abut 40 gallons and it has a 2 HP pump and 1.5" lines.

A 40 gallon spa? Using a 55 gal drum for a mental image, I would think that more than one person in there at a time would be a tight squeeze!

Well in the right situation it could work out well.

We have been using Sta-right pumps for our well for years, the best I have found, although different appplication.

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/Pentair-Challenger-High-Head-2-HP-Pump-Up-Rated~4722.html?gclid=CKbe39q8z54CFRUMDQodTBxApw

Pentair "Challenger" 2-HP, been in operation for about 3 years. Our pool is 21,000 gallons and the spa and Jandy RayVac are also operated by the same pump. The prior pump was a Hayward........ not sure of the model name. The Hayward lasted about 7 years.

TigerWoods, I don't know if you put chlorine in your pool, or if it has a (salt water) chlorine generator. If you have salt water, you may need to be sure that you are still going to have enough water flow to generate chlorine properly with the reduced flow from a slower speed pump. I know it gets very hot and sunny in Nevada...... that causes the water to eat chlorine for lunch.

See if GRUNDFOS makes a pump for your application. My Grundfos booster pump is all stainless on the pump end and been in service for 14yrs!

Now thats getting your moneys worth!

Wow.

I really cannot complain about what I currently have. I have a Hayward on the pool and a Pentaire on the spa and both are close to 10 years old and still work. The Hayward had part of the impeller input tube break off and still worked for almost an entire year. The broken parts are about $200 to replace, so I am going to replace the entire pump. If I rebuild it and it then it quits I will wish I had just replaced the entire unit.

Considering that these pumps have baked in the 114 degree sun for 10 years and one only failed after they both FROZE SOLID in a winter freeze, I really cannot complain. It can be 50 degrees out here durign the day and then a freeze comes up at night.

Now that I have the sunk cost of replacing the unit, I want to go with a lower flow to save electricity, especially in light of the fact that my plumbing is undersized at 1.5".

Does anyone do anything right? Ever?

The previous owner also decided not to put autofills on the pool and spa when they were built. They owned a vetrinary hospital, I think they could have sprung for the extra $150. After overfilling the pool 3 times, I had a laborer do some digging and I got out a hammer drill and added autofills to both. I was sweating bullets hoping that I would not hit rebar (And just plain sweating in the Las vegas summer).