Soldering Station Suggestions

Pete H

Looking to purchase a solid station for my personal use only. Looking for suggestions on what's the most versitle for the money, 100-200, is hot air (never worked with) a good feature to have, and what's going to last. Primary use will be building and rebuilding crossovers and basic board work on my own stuff. While I'm asking, what's the easiest method or tool to use for desoldering on a board?

While I'm asking, what's the easiest method or tool to use for desoldering on a board?

I'm more ov a novice than expert but I've had good luck by heating the solder up with a standard pencil iron and using a desoldering bulb to suck the molten solder off the board.

I'll check out the Hakko, I was reading through an old thread that Dean G posted in 04 on crossover updates and mods where he mentioned a rope method of desoldering that he preferred to the bulb method and then found dual stations with the air and stick in the same station, this is just one of those purchases that I want to make once and have the same rig for the next 10 years, as there doesn't seem to be a ton of difference in price to get more gadgets with the station ($80-300), but if they don't serve a good purpose, then I won't blow the extra coin on it.

I use a Hacko too. About $100 and has worked well building about a dozen pair sof crossovers and some opther stuff over 5 years. But if you get into this big time, there are some really nice statiosn that can heat the solder very quickly which shoudl reduce heat transfer to other parts if you do it right. I would get a pro model if I did this more, but the $100 Hacko works great for me.

The best desoldering tool I have used had a tip that was hollow, with an electric vacuum pump on it. It had a small pushbutton swith for the pump when you had the solder melted, and it sicked it into a small container on the handle. Alas, it went with the business when it folded. I do have a small temp controlled GC electronics iron, which I have been using since the early '90s.

Bruce

The best desoldering tool I have used had a tip that was hollow, with an electric vacuum pump on it. It had a small pushbutton swith for the pump when you had the solder melted, and it sicked it into a small container on the handle. Alas, it went with the business when it folded. I do have a small temp controlled GC electronics iron, which I have been using since the early '90s.

Bruce

I like that soldering iron.

relay_board_construction.jpg

I've used Pace, Hakko and Weller (all good irons), and like my 936 just fine (and the 926 just as well - glad it's getting lots of use TS!). I use an older Pace MBT desoldering station that works great. We ordered them years ago at my work, but later had to replace them as they weren't on the "tested and approved" list, so we all got to bring home a free desoldering station. I don't like the approved stations (also pace), because they use a cardboard collection tube which does not seem to work as well as the glass collection tube with the baffle and filter.