Nad

jtubbs6117

I just would like to know anyones opinion about this brand i bought a power 2200 from a forum member and waiting on it to get here. I am thinking about selling my sony es gear a trying all NAD what do you think? please rreply with any opinions or experiences...Thank you for all the collective knowlege I would love for a mac system but i afford that right now....;( I would really like to move to electronics made in North America it would be nice to own gear not stereotyped as made in Japan.

I have a NAD7155 and it is a fine sounding vintage receiver. I have used it with my RF-5's, La Scalas, and KG-4's and remains a favorite, over and above the likes of my Marantz 2245, and ANY of the H/Hx30 receivers. It would have remained the amp until it was replaced by my Luxman rig...Hands down.

I would really like to move to electronics made in North America

I have a current model NAD T785. Great bit of gear. However, it's not made in North America. It's made in China.

Well they never were made in North America or even close. Nor would that necerssarily be an automatic mark of excellence.

Well they never were made in North America or even close.

I just happened to look at the rear of my NAD 925THX today and found a little sticker that says "Manufactured in the USA".

Found today purely by coincidence.

Bill

Then I stand corrected, they do make A/V gear now in the States.

I've had some reliability problems with NAD stuff over the years. But some of their gear sounds okay. Altjough I find the somewhat bloated NAD 'sound signature' gets a little tiring during extended listening sessions. As far as good sound for your dollar goes, Rotel and Cambridge Audio are good alternatives...

post-15368-13819526083666_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a NAD 2200 Power Envelope series and it was the best amp I've ever owned. I used it for many years along with an old 1978 model NAD 3020 pre-amp, and used the set to power my Klipsch KG4 speakers. It was an awesome setup, and the incredible sound filled a very large room very nicely (20' x 25' with a very high 20' vaulted ceiling). Guests were always blown away with the sound, especially at how it could fill a room that large. I have always regretted selling the whole system but I was moving across the country, wife was pregnant, and I needed the cash.

The best part about the 2200 is the dynamic headroom. I've never seen another brand that comes close. It's a very capable power amp, with a lot of punch. A good friend of mine used to DJ with a pair of 2200's, and his sound system was by far, the best around.

• 6 months later...

You've probably already made your choice, but I've been using a NAD T163 AV preamp, C272 power amp, and one of their better CD players (forgot number, and I'm not where I can look at it) with Klipschorns for about 5 years.

• Overall sound quality: Great! Musical and effortless. Ties my old Luxman for the most musical Solid State equipment I've had.
  • Watch out for hum ... my T163 AV preamp was factory checked for hum, meets specs, but still produces audible hum in idle, completely independent of the Volume Control setting.. Your choice of a NAD preamp may be better. Some guests (all ages) can' t hear my hum, but the audiophiles can.. No hum whatsoever originating in the C272 power amps, or the CD player. My K-horns (w/ Klipsch stock AK-4 upgrades) are rated at 105 dB @ 1W @ 1M, so they may show the hum more than most other speakers. I suppose if you subtracted your rated sensitivity from that of K-horns, you would get a sense of how much less hum you would get, and, if you're lucky, your selected NAD preamp unit won't have the problem at all. Even the T163 produced no hum on my dealer's Paradigms (89 to 91 dB sensitivity). I finally turned down the input pot on the C272 power amp by about 5 dB and gated out most of the hum. Sometimes I think that robbed me of a little very subtle detail, & sometimes I don't think so.
Hey guys, I might as well ask ... is there any theoretical reason why turning down the input pot on a power amp while turning up the Volume control on a pre-amp to maintain the same SPL should cut a very small amount of detail?

First off every listener has their own taste.

My experience with NAD was with T-752 and T-762 AVRs. Local retailer experience (only 2 in Atlanta) was well below par but NAD customer service was excellent.

I did not like these two NADs with Klipsch, very thin and lifeless to my ears in two channel mode; HT better but not so good compared to the Denon or Sony ES.