question metric nuts

John Warren

M8 nuts and bolts typically are typically 13mm across the flats. The 8 is the body diameter of the bolt, not the distance across the flats. M10 are typically 16mm or 17mm across the flats.

FWIW the easiest way to find out what you have is take it to a hardware store and see what fits. There are different thread pitches (distance between threads).

Metrics are fine, but why base them on something that is constantly changing? The Earth is in a constant change of flux.

The metre has not been based on the distance between the North Pole and the Equator for a very long time.

From Wikipedia: "1 metre was originally defined as 110,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and Earth's equator as measured along the meridian passing through Paris... The metre was later redefined as the length of a particular bar of platinum-iridium alloy; then in terms of the wavelength of light emitted by a specified atomic transition; and now is defined as the distance travelled by light in an absolute vacuum during 1299,792,458 of a second."

The speed of light is pretty constant, so your metre stick should be good for quite a while.

Most countries in the world are now using the International System of Units, the dominant variety of the metric system. According to one authority:

According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Burma, Liberia, and the United States.[1] (Some sources identify Burma and/or Liberia as metric, however.[2][3][4]) However, a number of other jurisdictions have laws mandating or permitting other systems of measurement in some or all contexts, such as the United Kingdom — where for example the Traffic Sign Regulations only allow distance signs displaying imperial units (miles or yards) [5] — or Hong Kong.[6] In the United States, the liter is a commonly used unit for volume, especially on bottles of beverages, despite no other metric unit being commonly used. Also, other standardized measuring systems other than metric are still in universal international use, such as nautical miles and knots in international aviation.

It's probably an 8mm nut. M8 hex nuts and bolts can measure 12, 13, or 14 mm across the flats. 8 x 1.25 would be the usual thread, but it could be finer or coarser for a particular application.

This is correct, except I would also add I have also used 8mm nuts with 11 and also 15mm wrench sizes as well. You definitely cannot know for certain just by the wrench size as there are many variables.

As was said earlier it would be best to take the nut to a hardware or auto parts store and find what fits to be certain, 8 x1.25 would be a very good possibility.

• Moderators

I like my nuts to be us standard.

It works on different levels doesn't it?

Aren't hex nuts uncomfortable? For that matter, I wouldn't want my nuts knurled, either...

Yes they are I don't blame you, also I don't want my nuts to be hardened unless the application calls for it, and I am to old for the Marines or any other military. [;)]

I like my nuts to be us standard.

It works on different levels doesn't it?

Aren't hex nuts uncomfortable? For that matter, I wouldn't want my nuts knurled, either...

Yes they are I don't blame you, also I don't want my nuts to be hardened unless the application calls for it, and I am to old for the Marines or any other military. Wink

.... self tightening?.... chrome plated.... Oh the other possibilities! I'm outa here before I have to ban myself!

Not wanting to take any chances with my reply being less than scientific (like some of the childish responses so far).......

I went out to my shop a moment ago and got out my nifty digital calipers and began the process of measuring my nuts and thus far, the results are rather inconclusive. Measuring across the flats give different readings based upon which "flat" side I measured from. I also had some difficulty in getting accurate readings due to the cold temperatures causing some shrinkage.

I'm heading back outside to measure diameter. More in a moment......

Tom

• Moderators

(like some of the childish responses so far).......

Thank you, Thank you ! [:P]

" I went out to my shop a moment ago and got out my nifty digital calipers and began the process of measuring my nuts and thus far, the results are rather inconclusive. "

I hope the door was closed ! [:o]