Haiti ideas - help needed

Me Loves Khorns

I am trying to figure out a way to get down to Haiti to help. I am a doctor and want to travel there. I have contacted all of our local agencies and groups that could possibly get me there. None of them are heading there. It's not like I can just catch a flight down there, and would need to be with some type of a group that could hopefully provide some medical supplies, and ideally, access to an operating room.

I have contacted Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. They are only sending doctors that they already are working with.

I am willing to go with just about any type of group. Willing to fly to where ever they head out from if I need to. Have done medical mission work in Africa before, so all my crazy vaccines are current. And, I am used to horrible conditions and everything.

If anyone has any good ideas, or if you know about a group local to you that is going and could use a doctor, can you please let me know. I will contact them and see if they can get me there.

Thank you.

Paul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't but I applaud you for your willingness.

I think it's a shame a couple of "Doctors Without Borders" planes carrying medical supplies were diverted to the Dominican Republic. They need those supplies asap. That airport situation must be a nightmare though.

Crap... I thought I had a venue for you. http://www.maritime.edu/l2.cfm?page=95&news_id=1570

It was reported only yesterday that the Kennedy was going to disembark her freshmen and sophomores in Miami as soon as she could make port, and ask for junior/senior volunteers to stay on. Apparently the Maritime Administration does not require the Kennedy as was reported in Boston media yesterday.

Since the military has a lot to do with the transport as well as services, maybe the Army or Navy would use volunteer docs. Also the broadcast networks NBC and CBS, possibly through contacts you have at your local stations, and CNN, since they might have support for their star reporter docs (can you reach Dr. Nancy Snyderman? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31551646/ns/msnbc_tv-dr_nancy/). Canadian or Israeli relief efforts? Just shots in the dark....

Paul,

Little Rock AFB near me is flying C-130 relief missions
to Haiti. I have no idea if you could get a ride or not, but thought I
might mention it.

Good luck in your efforts.

Bob Crites

EDIT: Paul, I don't know much about Twitter, but I think you can talk to Sanjay Gupta here:

http://twitter.com/sanjayguptaCNN

He is helping bring in some Docs.

Thank you Bob.

I am looking into that also. I called American Airlines, they are flying into the Dominican Republic still. I am trying to see if I can find a way to travel over land into Haiti. I have also contacted several different agencies to see if I can go with them... Please keep the ideas coming in.

Paul,

My late wife's cousin is a plastic surgeon in Houston, and has done medical missions work. I'll try to see if he has contacts who could help out. It might take me a couple of days to get in touch with him, but it's obvious they will need medical help for quite some time in Haiti. .

Bruce

Hat's off to you my man!

just before I saw you post I saw part of a thing on CNN about physicians going over and practicing in open fields, parks and such. We are flying patrols over the water checking on any folks trying to float over to the US on rafts and unsafe vessels to direct assets to them.

Oh, just found this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/car_nascar_hendrick_haiti;_ylt=AukicQ_Pl9KXzIB24.IZn2sDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2c25sMjVsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTIwL2Nhcl9uYXNjYXJfaGVuZHJpY2tfaGFpdGkEcG9zAzE1BHNlYwN5bl9hcnRpY2xlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDZnVsbG5ic3BzdG9y

Paul,

God bless you for making this offering of yourself.

I'm waiting for word from some Methodist connections that may be able to help.

EDIT:(the latest) This is the info I received from Debbie Vest. Her phone is in the first edit below.

Here is the information for medical professionals. If your friend would send me his contact information I can add it to our registry.

GBGM/UMCOR is in the process of putting up a website so it is possible to register on line to be invited to be a part of the early medical recovery of Haiti. The address will be HYPERLINK "http://www.umrespond.org" www.umrespond.org they are working to get it up and going by the first of next week. Please check the site early next week.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is requesting physicians of specific specialties to deploy with the National Disaster Medical Assistance teams to Haiti. The need is for trauma surgeons, orthopedists, anesthesiologists, and others with experience in treating crush injuries. Volunteers must be able to serve for at least 2 weeks, and be willing to live and work in spartan conditions.

Preference will be given to physicians who are Creole or French speakers, and to those currently credentialed through the Medical Reserve Corps in their home state, or the ESAR-VHP program (Emergency Services Advanced Registration of Volunteer
Health Personnel). These volunteers will need to be credentialed as temporary federal employees and will need to be able to provide credentialing paperwork as soon as asked. Credentialing normally takes about a week. Volunteers with these clinical
skills should contact Michala Koch at HYPERLINK "mailto:Michala.Koch@hhs.gov" \t "_blank" Michala.Koch@hhs.gov.

Not everyone who wishes to help will necessarily be deployed, and those without the requisite skills may not receive a direct response.

For medical professionals wishing to help in this way in future relief efforts, please take a few minutes to learn about the Medical Reserve Corps, identify your local unit, and register to become part of the corps. To do so, visit HYPERLINK "http://www.medicalreservecorps.gov" www.medicalreservecorps.gov.
This is the channel through which medical volunteers are deployed immediately following an event, and only those registered beforehand are likely to be deployed.

Thank you for your service!

edit: OK. I was expecting some info to be forwarded to me, but haven't received it yet.

Here's a number for Debbie Vest: 913-568-8826 She is the South Central Jurisdiction (includes Arkanas and Texas) Volunteer in Mission coordinator.

Debbie says they will be sending medical teams, but that is still out on the horizon a bit. For now, they have a US Govt contact to whom they are referring folks such as yourself. She mentioned that one of the disaster response execs just went and had to fly into the Dominican Republic. From there got a ride in a military convoy to Haiti. Medical personnel are the highest priority for transportation from Santo Domingo.

Let me know if this doesn't lead to a satisfactory response. Where there's a will there's a way.

Paul.

I think it is great what you are trying to do.

I went to Haiti 10 years ago on and operated at more than one hospital for 8 days. I felt great reward for donating my skills and time. I was however in fear while there as the conditions were very poor and at times I felt my safety was at risk. I got a bunch of vaccines and took certain antibiotics the whole time I was there. Came back all in one peace. Two suitecases. One with clothes and supplies...the other with bottled water and drug samples in case I needed them.

I unfortunately still feel the fear from when I was there before. It may be that I'm paranoid or just not "built" for such a thing. I can't even imagine what it is like there now.

If you find a way to make it down there to help......I will pray for your safety and hope that you will be able to offer your skills to those in dire need.

You are a good man.......

jc

Very interesting article. The issues raised are the reasons that I have not just tried to get there by myself. There is not food and water just available on your own. Without a place to go and without a specific group to hook up with, I can see how helpers could quickly become a casualty or problem for those there. I would also be the most useful in a situation in which medical supplies, equipment, and in the best of situations, an operating room are available.

I have several leads working. One group is a Catholic aid group that also does work in the Congo. They are trying to see if they can get me there.

My cousin is a helicopter pilot in the Army. Flies medical Blackhawks. He is at Ft. Hood. His unit is ready, but a group out of Florida went instead. He told me that if he went, that maybe they could have me go too. But, of course, there are always liability worries and things with so many groups.

That gets frustrating... Not like I go and sue a group that is helping me get there!

And, having been in a very terrible part, and dangerous, part of northern Uganda, I know that conditions there will be very bad there. For anyone down there. Poor Haiti before now was so bad off. Now with this it must be just about the worst place on earth as far as conditions go. Those poor souls.

Paul

I may have found a way!

A church here in Waco does a lot of mission work around the world. They are trying to assemble a team that may be able to leave on Monday. It is not all the way certain, but looking possible.

There is a possiblity that Ross Perot is going to let us use his jet to get us and supplies down there! Thank God for gererous billionaires. This would allow us to fly directly into Haiti, rather than thru the Domican Republic and then over land, which can take a very long time!

So, keep me in your prayers that this will work out as planned.

Paul