Second class citizens at grade school?

JL Sargent

Ever seen"Kong" in person?

A monkey that plays with balls?

A bird do tricks?

Come play with us.

Everyone is welcome!! Admission is $3.00 Feb.9th at 1:30. (during school hours)

This was basically the flyer that got sent home with my 6 yr old son at our public school. I asked "What about the kids that don't pay?" I was told they will go to the library.

Does this seem right? Selling a circus during school hours to those that can pay and sending the non-payers to the library? It just doesn't sit well with me. I think its a bad idea. They are creating two classes of students. What do you think?

It's like the pizza party on school time for the kids who sell over a $100 worth of crap candy and candles and the rest go to the library.... I don't mind my son doing his part for fund raising, but it's ridiculous, unfair to poor or rural kids who either don't have neighbors close enough to walk, or parents who cannot afford to buy the stuff for them just to get them into the party.... I've complained for years and the complaints have fallen on deaf ears at the school board. The reply was "the incentive to sell and raise money for the band (or whatever..) is the reward". [:@]

The public school system in the USA was designed to create a humble working class.

Our
schools have been scientifically designed to prevent over-education
from happening. The average American [should be] content with their
humble role in life...
- William T. Harris, U.S. Commissioner of Education in the late 1800s

We
who are engaged in the sacred cause of education are entitled to look
upon all parents as having given hostages to our cause.
- Horace Mann, education reformer, abolitionist

The 3 bucks for a school function is just a tax. I wouldn't say anything to my kid and just give him/her the 3 bucks. It seems a bit early to teach kids about the haves and the have-nots but if you are logged on to this site, you've got the 3 bucks. The other thought I had was to pony up and see how much money they need for all the kids to go and make a donation if at all possible. Your kid WILL be treated differently by the teachers after that (good or bad I can't guess).

Thanx, Russ

I'd be more worried about the monkey that plays with balls but I guess that's better than a monkey throwing poo !

No its not right. If they want to have a circus at school then it should be free for all the kids. If the circus needs money for admission then it should be off school property and the circus can charge what ever they need to in order to make a profit. Thats a poor mans opinion.

I think the Government should get involved.....perhaps ramp up a Dept of Circus Security.....within a few years, they will have thousands of employees and the circus will cost $2,500. Then we can create other jobs for lobbyists trying to get tax credits for those who cannot afford...get OSHA involved and PITA in case the monkey is abused....this is how things start....

Ever seen"Kong" in person?

A monkey that plays with balls?

A bird do tricks?

Come play with us.

This was basically the flyer that got sent home with my 6 yr old son at our public school. I asked "What about the kids that don't pay?" I was told they will go to the library.

Does this seem right? Selling a circus during school hours to those that can pay and sending the non-payers to the library? It just doesn't sit well with me. I think its a bad idea. They are creating two classes of students. What do you think?

i think you're looking for devils where there aren't any to be found. $3 is nominal and is just part of school expenses every parent should budget for. If $3 is really that difficult, then most likely the family is in state of poverty and should be, if not already, working with the school for assistance in stuff like this (as well as lunches, school supplies, etc). The programs exist and are there for families in need... that's why kidless people like me pay taxes to support the local schools.

In highschool, there were kids in my english classes who had to go to a different class and do different work because their parents wouldn't let them participate in curriculam studies like catcher in the rye or "the graduate" .. or watch "the miracle of life" in biology, etc etc. Not everyone can/wants to participate all the time and so the teachers have to do something with them.

now, having said all that, I certainly don't think the public school system is great or working like it should; I'm a prime example. I just don't think there's some subversive attempt to create a caste system out of 6yr olds.

Seems to me you asked the wrong question. My question would be, "Why are school hours being used for a circus?" I dont send my kid (if I had one) to school for a circus. Seems the only "two classes" they are creating are smart and dumb. Smart being the ones that go to the library[:o]. If the school really wanted to play that game, I would send my kid to school with essentially the only book a kid is not able to read (religious) in public school system and tell him to read it in the library.

God forbid if I ever have to send my kid to a public school.

Parents already pay for school supplies to enable their children to study. Another $3 is a nominal sum that shouldn't keep away any kids who want to attend the animal show. Anyway, it makes a break from the books, which lets kids know that learning doesn't have to be all work and no play.

Having a wife that is a teacher this issue hits home. I would guess the first question should be about the educational value of this gathering. The issue of kids/parents not being able to pay for field trips is huge and very frustrating. Bake sales are another good example, my wife won't even take her kids to one in the school because half the kids don't have any money (plus kids don't need all that junk anyways).

Over a bunch of years my wife has worked on several solutions. One is she always asks the people hosting the trip or event if there are scholarships available for students that can't pay. Most of the time this will cover one or two students. The second thing is that she now trys to collect $15-$20 a family at the begining of the school year to cover all of the field trips. Often parents will pay double or triple knowing that other students won't have the money. The PTO in her school will also provide funding if it is available. And finally it often comes out of our pockets. That is no big deal, we can afford it, but it is really frustrating to see parents that can't afford $2 but show up reeking of cigarettes or pot. It is amazing the priorities that some parents have.

I always beat up the rich snobby kids at school.I never felt second class to anyone.

My parents allways gave me enough money to cover school expenses,, Like highering a bodyguard

When I was a Sophmore, the High School had 3 seperate lunches with about 350 kids a sitting. There were two teachers assigned to watch all 350 kids. We had 2 tables pulled together of Sophmores and 1 of those teachers was assigned to only watch our table. I always had plenty of money, he11 my dad was the Superintendant of the school system and the school had the second highest operational budget for a double AA school in the entire state at the time. There were 2 tables of freshmen that sat next to our table, and we would make them wait in the lunch line or the snack bar line and get our food for us, sometimes we paid them back, sometimes we didn't. One of my buddies I sat with used to make one of the freshmen at that table do his English Lit homework. I am not going to say Carma hasn't payed me back some for this in my adult life, but I was fighting seniors bigger then me when I was a Freshman and didn't loose a fight that I have been in from Sophmore year on. I have had my front two teeth knocked out, they are put back in but are dead and root canalled. I have had my nose broken. I have had my ribs broken. I have had a handgun pulled on me on 3 seperate occasions and cut by a knife or stabbed on 4 sepperate occassions all from highschool into my adulthood. Recently,I was at the friend of mines home who used to make the kid do all his English Lit homework. His 26 year old son-in-law did not like me and was running his mouth to his father in law that he was going to wip my a--. My buddy told him "Kid, that old man has been in more fights then you have had women and I'm not exagerating, he will harm you". We held court at lunch like that at lunch for the next 3 years. I wouldn't have cared if someone was rich or poor, alot of the other guys might have, but a personal body gaurd would be to much of a temptation to just pass on.

Roger