Oil spill from rig explosion getting bigger by the day. Bigger than Valdez?

JL Sargent

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a mention somewhere that when a blowout occurs in the Arabian Sea that the procedure is to bring a supertanker onsite and start recovering the oil as it reaches the surface. That actually sounds pretty sensible to me. Could anything that obvious have ever occurred to the experts at BP?

BTW, I was scrolling through this list of oil and other chemical spills when I noticed a really unusual cause for a pipeline leak. Check out October 4, 2001. Wonder if that fool paid any penalty for the damage he caused?

http://www.marinergroup.com/oil-spill-history.htm

If the frequency and size of spills is any indication, things are not getting better. It also appears that chance is a factor, with few problems in some years and lots in others.

This saga just keeps on going with no end in sight. I see where Jimmy Buffets free concert in Gulf Shores resulted in all tickets disappearing in about 30 minutes. More tar balls washing up on shore this week. When will this nightmare be over?

More tar balls washing up on shore this week. When will this nightmare be over?

I'd say 3-5 years for the parts that can recover relatively quickly after they drill the relief wells and plug the thing (at least an additional 3-6 months for that). Some things might never go back to normal: for instance--bird populations (e.g., brown pelicans, some species of cranes, etc.).

The politicians and "recovery money" will be long gone, though--just the tar that sticks to everything washing up after storms.

Chris

The reason that foreign ships are not in the gulf is because of the "Cooks Law" passed a zillion years ago by congress. (I think that's the name) The Coast Guard is not allowed to use foriegn ships in their employ for any reason. That's why there are no foriegn ships gulping up the spill. The powers that be are currently trying to bypass the law.

JJK

BTW, I was scrolling through this list of oil and other chemical spills when I noticed a really unusual cause for a pipeline leak. Check out October 4, 2001. Wonder if that fool paid any penalty for the damage he caused?

October 4 - USA - Crews were slowed by explosive vapors as they tried to plug a leak in the trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline that spewed nearly 300,000 gallons of oil into the wilderness. A man who had been drinking caused the leak when he shot the pipeline with a big-game rifle. The pipeline carries about 1 million barrels of oil a day, prompting a halt to almost a fifth of U.S. domestic production.

Seeing some of the hunters I get out my way this doesn't surprise me at all. I've never been agasint hunting and am not currently agasint hunting....but the slob hunters I get in my neck of the woods can sure make me a convert. Wouldn't surprise me if this drunk chap shot it on purpose while laughing..... until it grew in magnitude. then turned into the weasel he is

Here is an illustration of the Costner centrifuge.

"The largest device, the V20
centrifuge, can clean up about 200 gallons of liquid per minute
, or
about 288,000 gallons per day, and BP is reported to have ordered 32 of
them so far. Once they’re built and in the water, that could have a
capacity to clean 9.2 million gallons per day."

otsimage1.jpg?w=185&h=300

I love the Louisana gulf area. Have friends in Homa and Chavin. hunted ducks there for many years. Memories with my kids and friends. I so pissed off that I cannot watch TV reports or talk about this in rational manner. I want to vomit everytime I see an oil soaked pelican. Everybody involved- the BP jerks and all of the politicans involved who have fumbled offers of help should be hung on the steps of the capitol building on par per view TV. give the proceeds to the duck guides , fishermen, business owners that just had their careers ruined for life.

Yes I am boycotting BP products. Boycott hurting small businesses? Too bad. Change your store to another brand.

• Moderators

Went down to the Mississippi coast today, not to go to the beach but we drove along it to get where we were going. There are hundreds of people along most of the beach for miles wearing orange vest and rubber boots cleaning up. When we drove back at about 11pm this evening they were still about half that many still working, they had generators with flood lights covering sections of the beach

We never stopped to go look, something else new is portable toilets every few hundred feet and on the side of each set is a stand with soap and paper towels to clean your hands or whatever.

As we were driving along with the breeze from the south from over the water you could smell something, it was a strange smell, not like oil or gasoline but something close to that in some form ?

When you look out and as far as you can see is water and you realize how many square miles are out there and polluted and not just the surface, it's pretty depressing.

I didn't have my camera with me sorry.