OT: THEIR tv shows

fini

I live in a house with three women: My wife, and two daughters, aged 21 and 19 (my dog is a male, but he's been neutered and usually sides with them). There are a few TV programs they all enjoy...and I don't. I can't even understand why they like them. One is "Say Yes To The Dress," I think on TLC. It's all about brides shopping for wedding gowns. Every week, same thing. Another I think is called "Fashion Police." It "stars" Joan Rivers reviving her most famous role as a wardrobe critic (think Oscars red carpet, from a lounge chair), with celebrity "judges" Kelly Osborne and Giuliana Rancic (I had to look her up), all cutting down various other celebrities and their outfits. In one segment they watched today, they flashed a picture of Elizabeth Hurley, sporting impressive cleavage, and proceeded to explain why she looked terrible. Huh? I don't get it.

I don't choose to watch these...even once. But because all the ladies of the house work different hours and are home different times, these shows (there are others, too) get played over...and over...and over (up to three times). Yeah, I could go lock myself in my bedroom, or stay in the garage, or the shed (I wish I had a shop like Greg Roberts!), but the computer is in the same "room" as the televison...and the refrigerator.

Anyone else have this problem?

I suffered with a similar problem for years, so I can really relate. I think there are only two solutions. One is to provide the ladies with a TV of their own in a room where they'll be out of your way, or get a second TV and computer for your bedroom or other "room of refuge", where you can spend time with sights and sounds that don't stress and annoy you.

The second and more drastic solution is to live by yourself. It has its downsides, but it's much quieter and much less stressful. You can come and go as you wish, listen to or watch what you want, when you want. You can even set down an open magazine on a table and find it still there and still open the next day.

Try "Ice Road Truckers." They now have a girl driver, Lisa. I don't know where they found such a pretty, delicate little thing who's well dressed, a good rig driver, is well spoken, handles chains and huge trailers with aplomb, and has straight teeth. Perhaps she will inspire your ladies and get their minds off of style and superficiality.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTPKRFU1tWDJrW7xBa9xs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_JJ2nFsaf6As745QIxZx

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUmxG0YZAJjZqQEk4R9Hc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKI1rdac1emEdSGgSreJz

There are a number of women driving the huge dump trucks used in the Alberta tar sands projects, like the Caterpillar 797. Those trucks use 3000-4000hp engines and have payload ratings of 300-400 tons. I've read that the women drive them more carefully and have fewer accidents. That's pretty important, since trucks like that can cost $5M each.

sorry fini--i live alone now (four daughters grown and on their own). right now, i have the SF Giants game on....let's see, i had that on last night too. today was two football games. And the Lakers season is right around the corner. And then there's all this music to listen to.

I feel your pain. I have a wife and two daughters at home as my son just left the nest. We have 4 working TV's in the house but they normally call dibs on the 60" plasma. Funny, it's a TV that my wife once thought was "too big" for us but now is her favorite. It's like being the lone republican in a house of democrats. I regularly get outvoted and regulated to another room. I put my foot down on Sundays for football and on movie night. The rest of the time, it's just not worth it. Their favorites are Greys Anatomy, Dancing with whoever, Bridezillas and a cluster of Sunday night estrogen, tearfests.

Take a que from numerous football widows and put on your sexiest underwear and pose provacatively next to the TV. Easy choice for your wife, I'm sure.

Wink

You should probably wait to do this at a time when your daughters aren't home though.

My sexiest underware would be the pair without a hole. I'd be laughed back to exile.

House Wives of New Jersey or anyother location. When that is on the tv in the bedroom or first floor, I make my way to the basement. My wife wonders how I can watch "How Its Made" or WS Poker and why I sometimes yell at the TV during football games. Oh well.

Don't forget Dirty Jobs, Mega Machines and Leafs games.