Do You Believe in Santa Claus?

neo33

Today I talked with my girlfriend ........... from high school ......... some million years ago........ or so it seems. She was at her daughters house, with the grandkids, the in-laws and a small menagerie of pets. I could hardly hear her for the laughter, the barking and the merriment. Whether now or before or soon to happen, Santa will get us all and we'll grin 'til it hurts. Merry Christmas.

I'm with the 'yes' and 'karma' crowd. I do not however think of it as a Christmas "day" thing though.

I think I got this from my grandfather. It was summertime and I was probably 8-10 years old so this was years (and years) ago. We were on a bus travelling from Findlay Ohio back to my hometown, Hamilton. Some young gals were across the isle and needed a pen. He had one in his pocket and obliged their request. When they were done they brought it back to him. Bad memory says he overheard them saying they needed to get it back but might not have been done with their project. (they were probably 12 years old.... was a bit different time back then huh?)

Anyways, he told them "Merry Christmas.... you can keep the pen" Their faces lit up with delight.

Got it through my (rather thick) head then that you can carry the spirit of giving through small deeds throughout the year.

Fast forward to my 2nd year in college. Dad calls me on the monday before spring break begins (after class on Friday).

"How's your passport?" he asked
"uh... expired.... it's like 15 years old"

"oh" said Dad..."I've got two tickets for us to go to Peru, South America on Saturday morning.... you better get yourself in gear if you want to go"

I drove into town that day to get my picture ID, spent time on the phone with a gal in Washington DC that was directly responsible for approving passports (made easier since I had my old one I think?) All I had to do was overnight to her and she'd overnight back to me... I'd have it on Wednesday!

Sounds like a plan

Thursday morning I called to find out where it was... she wasn't there and my passport was evidently complet but still on her desk... something else queered the deal and she could NOT get it overnighted back to me.

We made contingent plans for me to fly to DC to pick it up when I got a phone call.

Seems Dad had a good friend who's daughter worked in DC.... right across the street from this lady's building. She was also coming home for a long weekend THIS friday! She also happened to live in Dayton, maybe 60/90 minutes from my house. All I had to do was drive to the Dayton airport and get it.

Drove to Dayton, got my passport and made the flight on time Saturday to have a nice vacation with Pops.

When I got back, my mother reminded me that it must have been destiny. She felt that any/all nice things I might have done for someone had gelled together to make this happen.

I don't know if I go to that degree but it really was kinda spooky how at every roadblock something totally off the wall happened to pave the road.

So yeah.... Merry Christmas in July!

[Y]