what music do play on that sad day

SSnyder

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, played at the funeral of several celebrities (Grace Kelly, John Kennedy, Albert Einstein, etc.).

It was also featured in the movie Platoon. A most beautiful piece that sounds spectacular on Klipsch speakers...even above concert level--if one chooses...

Chris

• Moderators

My uncle requested Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" to be played at his funeral 20 years ago. To this day, it is one of the most memorable moments of my life, and the stongest of songs connected to a memory.

Navy Hymn - Eternal Father, Strong to Save

You'd think something this beautiful would have at least one fabulous video, but unfortunately everybody wants to play an "arrangement," or belt it out at a football game, or add a ton of military flourishes.

Other videos show many stills or MP shots, which lend great atmosphere and show what's behind the thoughts. To me, they and the hymn show just the right mixture of sorrow, peace, and serenity in the face of death in a cause.

Here is the best performance you can watch, unfortunately over-mic'd or something (it breaks up) and cuts off too soon:

This is very nice, though only one verse:

This is the best combined segment, IMO, and the stained glass windows are beautiful. At least one seems to be at a Navy setting:

Eternal Father, strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard

And hushed their raging at Thy word,

Who walkedst on the foaming deep,

And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

Hey sSnyder, I hope there's no imminent need for this in your (or anybody's world). However, from a piper's standpoint, 'Mist Covered Mountains, 'Going Home' (same melody as Dvorak's New World), 'Flowers of the Forest', 'Amazing Grace - (ditto to Cask05)' and 'Morag of Dunvegan' are often played. When exiting the service, the 3/4s 'Green Hills of Tyrol' and 'When the Battle's O'er' are nice choices.

From a more contemporary view, Dido's 'Safe Trip Home' CD features two tracks that deal with personal loss. One is 'The Day Before the Day' and the other is 'Grafton Street'. If Forum readers aren't acquainted with this album, I would strongly recommend it. State of the art recording, incredible lyrics and fluid vocals. But why any person would name their child is beyond me!

Slainte. Hamish

My uncle requested Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" to be played at his funeral 20 years ago. To this day, it is one of the most memorable moments of my life, and the stongest of songs connected to a memory.

i think i would have liked your uncle. i've thought of that very same song when pondering my own funeral. But, actually having my ashes dumped over the Staples Center during a Laker's game is still winning over a traditional funeral. also in the running, is a viking funeral. put me on a raft, light me on fire and send me out to sea (or to the deep end of the pool) whichever is easiest.

I think about this a LOT, and I’m not sure why,,,,,,,.

Widor – Toccata from Symphony No. 5…..as performed by Kevin Bowyer

U2 – In God’s Country

Blues Image or Blood Sweat & Tears – Ride Captain Ride

Gabrieli – Canzon Duo Decimi Toni –or- Canzon Septimi Toni No. 2…..as performed by the Cleveland, Chicago, and Philadelphia brass ensembles