Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

As a musician I'm familiar with the history of Fender. In the mid 60's Leo Fender was making just a handfull of different instruments when CBS bought the company. The new management made many errors (directed the designers and engineers to make "improvements" in the products) to the point that musicians came to prefer the "pre CBS" guitars and amps. It took 15 years for the company to recover from most of the damage. Now, Fender makes over 150 diffent models of the original Stratocaster, but musicians with sufficiant money today still insist on pre-CBS vintage guitars and amps - there is a cult following for the old guitars and amps made before the 1965 CBS buyout. that just grows stronger with time. The primary reason for this is that the ORIGINAL PRODUCTS WERE SO GOOD.

Hopefully the new management for Klipsch will be enlightened.

Good luck Amy, Trey, et al.

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with the "Audiovox Effect". In fact, I signed up here mainly to share my hopes that this deal does not go through.

I have already witnessed the dismantling of one of our longest-running and most reliable vendors. Code-Alarm automobile alarms.

We sold Code-Alarm for 15+ years. They were great. Failures were rare, products were robust, features were always state of the art, and warranty was a non-issue, but always handled.

Then came Audiovox. The product tanked. Every successive generation got worse and worse until we dropped it (at which point the product was a craptastic Audiovox chassis wrapped in a Code-Alarm case). They do handle occasional warranty issues for our existing clients, so that's nice, but that's the extent of our dealings with them anymore.

Code-Alarm was not the first company ruined by Audiovox, and it looks like it may not be the last. I certainly have my fingers crossed that this deal does not go through. I really like Klipsch speakers and the new Palladium line is just stunning. I hope there's more greatness to come and am really looking forward to some "trickle-down" designs from the Palladiums coming to the next generation of the reference line. That kind of stuff doesn't seem to happen when a company like Klipsch sells out to a company like Audiovox.

I would say their biggest expenditures are labor and materials. Not to mention the cost of shipping those monsters.

When I first visited with PWK in Hope the main thing I noticed in the work area was SILENCE. Paul said they cut wood once a week, and most of the rest of the work was manual pieceing, gluing, and screwing.

No way Heritage could ever be the the profit center for a speaker company with a significant and lasting footprint. IMHO, also no way for a company without such a heritage can ever last.

Also no way I can really prove the above except through my own experience having stood in the presence of true greatness and knowing that as long as these designs were being built the organization that PWK began could not help but dedicate itself to excellence.

There are a lot of products in the Klipsch lineup today that I do not believe PWK would personally endorse. However, I firmly believe that all of them reflect his belief that that audio should be done at the highest level of quality and the lowest possible cost.

Should a decision be made to discontinue Paul's designs, even if they are costing money rather than making money, then Klipsch is no more than the other great names of American ingenuity that are now gone. I'll not call that roll, as it makes me want to cry.

However, we speak prematurely. Let's hope the new owners are not as dumb as posts and they are willing to leave well enough alone. History suggests that is unlikely, but we can hope. Hope, that is.

Dave

"Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." -Red The Shawshank Redemption

A lot of passion and emotion in this thread and for Klipsch. We all know why and completely understand.

It is 2011 and things are much different than they were when PWK developed "Klipsch" and the Mighty Khorn. None of us can say fore sure what he would want and any guess would be just that. So, I will remain positive, 'cause I don't have any other choice. Klipsch is not my company and nobody calls me on these decisions. I think Fred wants whats best. Whether it is for Klipsch or for Fred, that is out of my hands.

The one thing I know fore sure is that things change. Lets hope and for those inclined to Pray, lets do that too, that things work out for the Best. Whatever that may be!

Dennie

Anyone want some Popcorn?

lurk.gificon_beer.gif

When I spend a day with PWK, back in 1985, I believe the company gross sales was just a bit over $20 Million. I asked him if he imagined that Klipsch and Associates would ever get this big and he said "No, but I just knew that if I made a good product, my customers would tell their friends about it, and the sales would take care of themselves." He still believed that anything smaller than a Klipschorn was a compromise in sound quality and the the Khorn was a small speaker for the low distortion performance it provided.

Fred Klipsch's company, purchased from PWK in 1989, grew to about 8 times the size of the small company that PWK left behind, with a world class building as it's headquarters in Indy.

How can anyone fault greater success in these changing times of a world market?

Hat's off to Fred Klipsch and the team. I'm sure there is still a bright future ahead.

Wow.... just heard about this.

Amy; Trey; Every employee.... I hope this goes well for you.

What I have read; they will leave everything as is.

I have worked for various companies that got bought out. (Banta was bought by RR Donnelley).

We were told the same..... Then within 6 months our facility was absorbed into theirs.....The transition was not bad; but over a period of 2 years; most people (including me) had left as their positions were changed or eliminated.

Not trying to scare anyone..... My sincere hope is they just leave Klipsch "as is" and use something like "designed with assistance by Klipsch" (or something similar) on new cheap speakers they try to sell...... Maybe even filter down some of that technology.......

But; I must say..... This has been a really BAD Monday...... [:|]

Klipsch was once a woefully inefficient family operation that, more
than once, faced insolvency while making labors of love. It is not
that, now, and hasn't been for a long time. (That doesn't imply
products are poor, etceteras, but it is what it is.)

Don't romanticize this, the Klipsch being mourned is long since gone
unless what you actually fear is losing the name. If that's the case,
"fear not." I'm sure Audiovox will keep the brand.

This is just business. As a comparison? A non-American Fender bass is
just as good as an old American one, if you are willing to pay and
compare apples to apples. It's not as if Klipsch doesn't churn out some
consumer grade products...

If they continue the Klipschorn, and if it retains quality and spec, it won't matter where it's made.

If it doesn't? Well, it doesn't matter then, either.

This is out of our hands.

I am hoping for a mcintosh type of situation rather than altec lansing type. let's hope that they support continued growth and improvement of our beloved products and not the pure exploitation of the brand name with products not worthy. fingers crossed here. Tony

Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group
i read it and got worried as i love KLIPSCH
, someone mentioned his concerns like this .....
And Klipsch's steady march towards the basement continues...

When Klipsch bought out API, they took three popular Canadian speaker brands and pretty much destroyed them. When's the last time you saw any Athena speakers (once a very popular, inexpensive brand). Oh, that's right, Athena basically exists in name only now, thanks to Klipsch. Energy speakers used to be highly regarded - the Veritas line was often mentioned in the same sentence with Revel and Wilson. Now, their entire market focus is on tiny "box" speakers that aren't even as good as the old Athena Micra6 package (which was a GREAT little 5.1 speaker package).

Mirage used to get a lot of attention for their unique "omnipolar" speakers. Where's Mirage now? Oh, that's right, Orb speakers have basically taken all of their market and mind share, since Klipsch didn't see fit to market Mirage after they bought the brand.

Klipsch did a TERRIBLE job with the API brands that it aquired and now, Audiovox can destroy the Klipsch and Jamo names, just like they did the RCA and Jensen brands. RCA, if you can believe it, used to be a highly respected brand. Remember that iconic "His Master's Voice" image of the dog staring into the gramophone? I'll bet most people associate that image with the RCA brand. Sure, that image's rights were used by a number of companies before RCA, but it was RCA that truly made the image memorable and that had a lot to do with their once high-standing in the audio world.

Klipsch was already on the decline. Their decision to focus on lower prices to the detriment of sound quality (eg. the "Icon" line) was a clear indication of where they were already headed. Now Audiovox can turn them into a Walmart brand, which is pretty much the only place where you find RCA and Jensen products anymore.

What a sad, sad world. Oh well, at least this is one way for companies who no longer give a flying eff to get out of the way and let the hungry speaker companies who actually care about audio quality have a shot at the market.
i dont know if klipsch will stay as it is today or go down the drain .quadklipsh

1. Klipsch was once a woefully inefficient family operation that, more

2. Don't romanticize this, the Klipsch being mourned is long since gone

3. This is just business. As a comparison? A non-American Fender bass is

4. If they continue the Klipschorn, and if it retains quality and spec, it won't matter where it's made.

5. If it doesn't? Well, it doesn't matter then, either.

6. This is out of our hands.

1. What does being a "family operation" have to do with being "woefully inefficient"? General Motors ~ Bankrupt of America ~ now that's woefully inefficient. I can unequivocably say that 35+ years ago when I bought my first Klipsch I was trreated with a personal level of attention and speed of service that is still unmatched by the larger, "more efficient" (as so implied) operation that it is today.

2. Perhaps you haven't taken a look at what remains of the products of the other brands Audiovox has purchased. Yes, I too am sure Audiovox will keep the "brand" ~ and reduce it to nothing more than earphones for iPods at best.

3. I couldn't disagree more. I've been playing the bass longer than I've owned Klipsch speakers. And I have well over two dozen basses, many of them Fender, US, Japan and Mexico made, vintage and more recent models. Yes, it's possible to find a perfectly good Mexican made Fender bass but you'll have to spend a lot of time looking and picking to find one where the fret work doesn't look like an old dilapidated railroad track.

4. Again, take a look at what Audiovox's Acoustic Research, RCA, Jensen, etc. make. Actually they don't make, nor design/engineer anything ~ it's all outsourced. Acoustic Research cables? Give me a break!!! There's no AR3a in there, never will be, and there won't be any Klipschorn either!!!

5. "IF". Yeah right. "IF" my grandmother had balls she'd be grandpa. It does matter.

6. The only one you got right. My concern is not so much that Klipsch will most likely be sold, it's who it's being sold to ~ a company known for simply buying brand names and destroying the original product/philosophy/quality (whatever postive things we can think of).

I Think I'll post some price charts of Audiovox (VOXX) and then you can tell me what the market thinks of Audiovox since they went public January 12, 2000 (hint: all time high was $72.50 on March 7, 2000). The same is in store for Klipsch with this scenario.

4. If they continue the Klipschorn, and if it retains quality and spec, it won't matter where it's made.

1. What does being a "family operation" have to do with being "woefully inefficient"? General Motors ~ Bankrupt of America ~ now that's woefully inefficient. I can unequivocably say that 35+ years ago when I bought my first Klipsch I was trreated with a personal level of attention and speed of service that is still unmatched by the larger, "more efficient" (as so implied) operation that it is today.

2. Perhaps you haven't taken a look at what remains of the products of the other brands Audiovox has purchased. Yes, I too am sure Audiovox will keep the "brand" ~ and reduce it to nothing more than earphones for iPods at best.

3. I couldn't disagree more. I've been playing the bass longer than I've owned Klipsch speakers. And I have well over two dozen basses, many of them Fender, US, Japan and Mexico made, vintage and more recent models. Yes, it's possible to find a perfectly good Mexican made Fender bass but you'll have to spend a lot of time looking and picking to find one where the fret work doesn't look like an old dilapidated railroad track.

4. Again, take a look at what Audiovox's Acoustic Research, RCA, Jensen, etc. make. Actually they don't make, nor design/engineer anything ~ it's all outsourced. Acoustic Research cables? Give me a break!!! There's no AR3a in there, never will be, and there won't be any Klipschorn either!!!

5. "IF". Yeah right. "IF" my grandmother had balls she'd be grandpa. It does matter.

6. The only one you got right. My concern is not so much that Klipsch will most likely be sold, it's who it's being sold to ~ a company known for simply buying brand names and destroying the original product/philosophy/quality (whatever postive things we can think of).

I Think I'll post some price charts of Audiovox (VOXX) and then you can tell me what the market thinks of Audiovox since they went public January 12, 2000 (hint: all time high was $72.50 on March 7, 2000). The same is in store for Klipsch with this scenario.

1. "Business" was not a PWK hallmark.

2. I said they'd keep the brand.

3. Apples to apples, they're the same quality. If you desire to cherry pick...

4. If spec is the same, who cares?

5. No, it doesn't, if the spec isn't the same.

6. Incorrect. Everything I said is true.

Are you just a little emotional and romanticist? I warned against such knee-jerk pleadings...

Audiovox acquired Acoustic Research, Advent, and Jensen after Recoton corp went bankrupt in 2003 or 2004 and assets were liquidated.

From Recoton 2002 financials (the last annual financials filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission before liquidation).

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/82536/000089968102000095/recoton-10k_032802.txt

In 1996 we significantly enhanced our international presence with the acquisition of International Jensen Incorporated, now known as Recoton Audio Corporation, a global developer and marketer of home and car stereo speakers, car stereos including cassette and CD players and amplifiers sold under many well recognized brand names including JENSEN, ADVENT, AR/ACOUSTIC RESEARCH, PHASE LINEAR and NHT(NOW HEAR THIS) in the United States and MAGNAT and MACAUDIO in Germany. This acquisition has made us one of the world's largest marketers of home speakers and mobile audio speakers and electronics.

RCA is more complicated as it was originally taken over by General Electric in 1986 (I remember watching this on the news in 1986). GE subsequently broke RCA into pieces. During 1987 GE traded RCA consumer electronics to Thomson SA (a company in France) for its medical division and $800 million. During 2006 Thomson SA sold essentially all consumer electronics under the RCA and Thomson brands to Audiovox.

Not that Audiovox is a saint, but it seems like these brands took a beating before Audiovox bought them.

• Moderators

When Klipsch bought out API, they took three popular Canadian speaker brands and pretty much destroyed them. When's the last time you saw any Athena speakers (once a very popular, inexpensive brand). Oh, that's right, Athena basically exists in name only now, thanks to Klipsch. Energy speakers used to be highly regarded - the Veritas line was often mentioned in the same sentence with Revel and Wilson. Now, their entire market focus is on tiny "box" speakers that aren't even as good as the old Athena Micra6 package (which was a GREAT little 5.1 speaker package).

We acquired the ailing API brands in late 2006. We released several new Mirage and Energy products. A short time later, the economy tanked, which I'm sure you'd agree was beyond our control. We remain dedicated to the Mirage, Energy and Jamo brands, having just come out with the new Energy Veritas line a few months ago - and they are fantastic speakers. There are plans for Mirage in the works now. Jamo is continuing to enjoy successes overseas.

Klipsch was already on the decline. Their decision to focus on lower prices to the detriment of sound quality (eg. the "Icon" line) was a clear indication of where they were already headed.

I will beg to differ here as well. We have been diversifying and growing, not declining. Our mission is to have "best in class" audio in all price points. If we're going to be in Wal-Mart, we'll make the best product Wal-Mart has to offer. That's our philosophy. It doesn't mean we will abandon hi-end audio, quite the contrary. The Palladium, Reference and Heritage lines are still in full production mode with no plans to change.

Simply because we want to make something for everybody doesn't mean we longer care.

Are you just a little emotional and romanticist? I warned against such knee-jerk pleadings...

I would prefer to provide a proper and appropriate answer to your inane response Zekie, but I'm quite sure I would promptly be banned and the thread locked. Perhaps I'll have the opportunity someday to tell it to your face.

The horse is dead.

Audiovox is a piece of crap company. It always has been. Possibly someday Klipsch will be rescued from these dire straights (like McIntosh from Clarion or Fender by a group of well-heeled & dedicated musicians). But age 59 I doubt I will live to see it.

I would prefer to provide a proper and appropriate answer to your inane response Zekie, but I'm quite sure I would promptly be banned and the thread locked. Perhaps I'll have the opportunity someday to tell it to your face.

The horse is dead.

Audiovox is a piece of crap company. It always has been. Possibly someday Klipsch will be rescued from these dire straights (like McIntosh from Clarion or Fender by a group of well-heeled & dedicated musicians). But age 59 I doubt I will live to see it.

Basically, you don't HAVE a response -- either proper or appropriate -- and use fear of locking/banning as your out.

"Fine."
I get it. Take your ball and go home when you're getting whacked with
impunity. (Making it unlikely you'd have the stones to tell me,
bearing your ongoing irrational vapidity, about anything.)

But here's the deal: what I've reported is correct, not in dispute, and you ARE being a knee-jerk romanticist.

As
for not caring for Audiovox, you have no idea what is going to occur.
I, am merely being truthful: if new owners produce to the same
standard, your fears do not matter. If they do not, again, your fears
do not matter.

It's well out of our hands, you may as well not whine incessantly.

Guest Anonymous

"Brush up on your Cantonese everyone!"

Umm, I suspect that Mandarin might prove more useful. Official language of government and business and all that......[:D]

We acquired the ailing API brands in late 2006. We released several new Mirage and Energy products. A short time later, the economy tanked, which I'm sure you'd agree was beyond our control. We remain dedicated to the Mirage, Energy and Jamo brands, having just come out with the new Energy Veritas line a few months ago - and they are fantastic speakers. There are plans for Mirage in the works now. Jamo is continuing to enjoy successes overseas.

Klipsch was already on the decline. Their decision to focus on lower prices to the detriment of sound quality (eg. the "Icon" line) was a clear indication of where they were already headed.

I will beg to differ here as well. We have been diversifying and growing, not declining. Our mission is to have "best in class" audio in all price points. If we're going to be in Wal-Mart, we'll make the best product Wal-Mart has to offer. That's our philosophy. It doesn't mean we will abandon hi-end audio, quite the contrary. The Palladium, Reference and Heritage lines are still in full production mode with no plans to change.

Simply because we want to make something for everybody doesn't mean we longer care.

I think the last paragraph says a lot.