Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

Actually, that old saw about H-D vibration has not been true for many, many years.

You mean to say that women don't call the new "Rubber Glides" by the Harleys' old nickname, the "Milwaukee Vibrator"? That's progress for you. Win some, lose some...

Has anyone else even noticed that Klipsch introduced some new speakers at CES? Does anybody really care? I'd hope so seeing the rants and tirades here. But I've not seen much comments on the new line. Not much is known and yes it's mroe towards the mass market though a bit above the low end. Slim and compact that can be hung on the wall. Should sell well though I think the Engadge artricle said not all was production ready.

I'm not sure those Engadget guys really get it. They described $799 speakers as being for the affluent buyer, then bemoaned the fact that those speakers are not wireless and hoped they might be wireless next year. Did they think they were desk-top computer speakers?

I'm not sure those Engadget guys really get it. They described $799 speakers as being for the affluent buyer, then bemoaned the fact that those speakers are not wireless and hoped they might be wireless next year. Did they think they were desk-top computer speakers?

Of course they don't get it. And maybe we don't either. For MOST people in this country $799 for a speaker or a pair are EXPEN$IVE speakers. Oops. I thought something was wireless. I don't mind wires. Might be healthier than transmitting everything through the air. But wireless can be easier and a big selling point to many.

Was it Engadge that called Klipsch "a headphone company".

"... the times they are a changin'..."

jmvho

Ho-boy! This ought to get interesting. This definitly reeks of a hostile take-over attempt. Figure this was eventually going to happen now that Klipsch is really making a name for itself in the audio world and has become a very respected brand, dare I say, even more so than Bose. I've often seen posts on the internet in various forums/blogs about Bose with several folks always saying something like "forget Bose, get Klipsch instead!".

Also, isn't the Klipsch Group still a privately held company (no stocks being traded on the markets)?

Like I said, this will be very interesting to watch. I guess I better go grab those Cornwalls while they are still around. And speaking of Cornwalls, stupid-*** me had a chance to grab a pair for $400 up in Bethesda a couple weeks ago, but I was to slammed with other things to have the time to go up there (friggan work, holidays and ski patrol). I guess you really gotta jump on these things when they become available.

Oh well - guess will just have to keep an eye out for another pair.

BTW, those "$400" CW's in bethesda presumably went to the "highest" bidder. when the guy returned my email as to their availability, he told me the bids were at $475 and climbing. still a great price, but they didn't go for $400, and the d***head never intended to sell them for that.

of course i'm assuming we're talking about the same listing on c-list.

D&M Holdings would have been a much better fit. Could you image what would happen if D&M sold the McIntosh or Denon brands to Audiovox?!?!?!

There are some very, very happy folks at Magnpan, B&W, Bose Corp, Polk, Paradigm.....their market shares just increased.

SHAME ON FRED KLIPSCH.

I agree that D&M would be a much better match for Klipsch, if they have to be acquired. Brands like Klipsch, McIntosh and Marantz have been associated in home stereo systems for as long as I can remember. It would be a natural corporate association, as well. Poor Altec Lansing, I hate to see Klipsch go the same way. Of course, now I'll be able to replace my plastic "Altec" computer speakers with equally low quality "Klipsch" computer speakers. Speakers for the messes . . . uh, masses!

Do we really know that the higher end Klipsch products aren't paying for themselves? And keeping the Heritage line available hasn't required a lot of R&D and improvements but the Heritage models basic desgin hasn't changed just evolved to get better and better.

They don't. I was at a Pilgrimage one year and even Hunter (I think it was him) said that the Heritage line doesn't keep the doors open. It's the lower end stuff that does.

I would say their biggest expenditures are labor and materials. Not to mention the cost of shipping those monsters.

But going back to something, I think, PWK said about small speakers sounding better and his famous BS reply "My opinion will change when physics changes." (paraphrasing)

The Heritage line can exist because the Industrial line provides the opportunity. If Audiovox keeps the Industrial business (and keeps it in the USA/ARK), then the Heritage line can continue. I personally consider this doubtful, as tthis is a whole channel Audivox has no experience in. If Audiovox decides to abandon Hope, the probability exists that they sell it. The Arkansas politicians better get busy.

Maybe former President Bill Clinton (and Hope native) could buy the company. I can imagine some great product testimonials: "Get blown away by the Heritage line."

...or maybe the Rockefeller family, and get the plant added to the Washington Arkansas Historical District.

As a business owner, let me state why this is a stupid deal:

#1. Know your target consumer

Klipsch quality consumers, your die hard fans as the people here are, buy Klipsch for the quality. These customers will NOT buy Klipsch speakers made by Audiovox period. I know I would NEVER !

...That leave a big WHY ? This is seriously dumb for Audiovox and only a money grab for the current Klipsch owners.

Without knowing any details and being a business owner myself I feel the Klipsch family wanted out of the speaker business and Audiovoxx wanted to enter a new market..I didn't know PWK but afaik he was the only "Klipsch," who was actually making/designing speakers.

If they keep the R&D bread-and-butter of Klipsch and use their expertise it could be a seamless transition insofar as most of the products are concerned. That being said, I am curious what is going to happen to the upper-end Reference and Palladium, but keep in mind the other mass market products are already being made overseas and that is what most Klipsch customers are buying...

Maybe former President Bill Clinton (and Hope native) could buy the company. I can imagine some great product testimonials: "Get blown away by the Heritage line."

Or, "What this country needs is a good 5-watt cigar."

Ya know, it's good we can joke about President Clinton's indiscressions but I don't think we will see the same jovial attitude about former POTUSA George W. Bush given his legacy...

From that article...

"After relocating from Arkansas in 1989, Klipsch remained a small employer...."

but then...

"Klipsch broke ground in 2001 on the Northwestside for an audio products technical center..."

I thought the tech center was built in order to facilitate the move. Some thing doesn't seem right here.

Ya know, it's good we can joke about President Clinton's indiscressions but I don't think we will see the same jovial attitude about former POTUSA George W. Bush given his legacy...

My goodness, we have digressed. What does the legacy of George Bush have to do with this discussion? Perhaps this whole situation is his fault. lol...

Some interesting comments below the article from locals, possibly connected with Klipsch Indianapolis:

"I hope that Audiovox isn't serious about Klipsch bringing profits with them. When the last round of layoffs were announced recently, staff was told that the company was near death. Unless the reasons given for the layoffs were not the truth, something is wrong with communications - or Audiovox hasn't looked at the Klipsch financials yet."

My goodness, we have digressed. What does the legacy of George Bush have to do with this discussion? Perhaps this whole situation is his fault. lol...

I agree and included my antidote in response to what was said about President Clinton which also didn't have anything to do with this topic...That being said, what transpired at the end of the Bush Administration's presidency could be alot more relevant to this sale than anything to do with Bill Clinton.

• Moderators

Some interesting comments below the article from locals, possibly connected with Klipsch Indianapolis:

"I hope that Audiovox isn't serious about Klipsch bringing profits with them. When the last round of layoffs were announced recently, staff was told that the company was near death. Unless the reasons given for the layoffs were not the truth, something is wrong with communications - or Audiovox hasn't looked at the Klipsch financials yet."

Completely false.

yea, freeing 50 million people from a tyrant is a real *****!

I agree and included my antidote in response to what was said about President Clinton which also didn't have anything to do with this topic...That being said, what transpired at the end of the Bush Administration's presidency could be alot more relevant to this sale than anything to do with Bill Clinton.

BTW....how's that "hope and change" working out!?!? ROTFLMAO!!