Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

Well apparently the young and naive is more informed about how Audiovox operates today. Take a look at their long list of branding.

I'm assuming Audiovox is owned by the Japanese?

Hopefully a Klipsch employee will chime in and let us know if The Vapors "Turning Japanese" is being played in the lunchroom today. Let's hope that Audiovox has a desire to shed their image of crappy products and want to compete in the high-end world. i admit, i'm cynical. i'm old enough to have seen too much change that would have been best if left alone--but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

This would be a great time for Klipsch to keep their Heritage line and the "little" shop in Hope and sell the rest of the "Asian" made line. Too bad its not D&M trying to take down Klipsch. No matter who buys them the new owner will surely want to keep the integrity and reputation of Klipsch without shaking things up too much. I really hope management and all the employees are secure.

Does anyone remember what happened to Harley Davidson once AMF got ahold of them?

They expanded, built a factory in Pennsylvania, sold more bikes than ever before, designed the Evolution series bikes, HD dealers made lots of money, then the employees bought the company. Still going strong and setting sales records.

It's hard not to be pessimistic. My last years at The Skunk Works (Yeah, the real Skunk Works) I came to believe that the years before the Lockheed-Martin merger were the best years for the company. The last 4 years was a nightmare, as our culture was diluted with corporate BS.

Gotta say I tend to agree with you. I work in So. Cal. making

aircraft and we had a merger, oh about ten years ago. I must say I liked

the other company a little more. That said, the people that were

working at the other company when I got there in the late '70s had

suffered a takeover a few years before that and thoght that the company

that THEY used to work for was better than the one I hired into. I guess

no one likes change that much, and we are kind of set in our ways a

bit. Don't get me wrong, the "new" company is a good one also but

memories sometimes remember things a little better than they were.

With all the above, I specificaly did not say any company's name

to not cause trouble so please don;t guess as to who I am talking about

on line as I still work (and am at work at this minute) for the "new"

company. Those in the business will know who I am talking about.

I

hope Klipsch does not loose quality in their products, that we will

still be able to come here and say how much we like our Heritage

speakers. I had hoped to go to a gathering one year to meet some more of

the fine people who gather here and one day to be able to buy some NEW

Klipsch speakers, a dream I have had since I first heard a set of Khorns

at a high end stereo shop back in '77 ..... No wise cracks, I know I

sound like an old sourdough, I am referring to 1977, not 1877 LOL!

I am sad though to say that I also am a bit jaded about this news, I have seen too many quality companes get taken over and the new owner traded on the high quality reputation of the old company.... until it was plain to see that the new products were cheep junk and that the quality name now stood for C*^&. Fisher is a good example. Look at what a quick google turned up for that once proud company. http://www.fisherav.com/slim_1500.htm

Does anyone remember what happened to Harley Davidson once AMF got ahold of them?

They expanded, built a factory in Pennsylvania, sold more bikes than ever before, designed the Evolution series bikes, HD dealers made lots of money, then the employees bought the company. Still going strong and setting sales records.

"What have the Romans ever done for us?" Monty Python fans will get that one (From Life of Brian)

In this buyout, I hope that the Klipsch employees are able to keep their jobs and that Audiovox does not move any more desperatly needed manufacturing jobs 'offshore".If I were an Audiovox manager I would be looking to use our marketing muscle to expand sales of the Synergy line, in order to support the higher end lines, Reference and Heritage. Much like Porsche used to sell their low end cars to continue making their flagship model.

I am also glad that I am up to my a$$ in Klipsch speakers [;)] and am anxiously waiting to take delivery on a pair of WB-14's, I ordered last week. For now the jury is out on the future of Klipsch.

Wiki and other sources sure come across much differently.....

In 1969, American Machinery and Foundry (AMF) bought the company, streamlined production, and slashed the workforce. This tactic resulted in a labor strike and a lower quality of bikes. The bikes were expensive and inferior in performance, handling, and quality to Japanese motorcycles. Sales declined, quality plummeted, and the company almost went bankrupt.[40] The "Harley-Davidson" name was mocked as "Hardly Ableson", "Hardly Driveable," and "Hogly Ferguson",[41][42] and the nickname "Hog" became pejorative

1969, Time for a merger with the American Machine and Foudry Company (AMF).
However, the quality decreased ernormously and the Super Glide and the SLCR Caféracer of 1970 got a bad name. But Harley Davidson bought itself out and survived and with launching the new Evolution-motor in 1984, the company managed to create a modern motorcycle, which was still a Harley Davidson.

AMF could have risen to the challenge presented by the sophisticated and comparatively affordable Honda. Instead, AMF’s managers roll a real gutter-ball. Harley-Davidson quality plummets. Before long, dealers are forced to rebuild motors under warranty and magazines are brutally critical of test bikes. Used Harleys are described as “pre-AMF” in classified ads.

Wiki and other sources sure come across much differently.....

In 1969, American Machinery and Foundry (AMF) bought the company, streamlined production, and slashed the workforce. This tactic resulted in a labor strike and a lower quality of bikes. The bikes were expensive and inferior in performance, handling, and quality to Japanese motorcycles. Sales declined, quality plummeted, and the company almost went bankrupt.[40] The "Harley-Davidson" name was mocked as "Hardly Ableson", "Hardly Driveable," and "Hogly Ferguson",[41][42] and the nickname "Hog" became pejorative

1969, Time for a merger with the American Machine and Foudry Company (AMF).
However, the quality decreased ernormously and the Super Glide and the SLCR Caféracer of 1970 got a bad name. But Harley Davidson bought itself out and survived and with launching the new Evolution-motor in 1984, the company managed to create a modern motorcycle, which was still a Harley Davidson.

AMF could have risen to the challenge presented by the sophisticated and comparatively affordable Honda. Instead, AMF’s managers roll a real gutter-ball. Harley-Davidson quality plummets. Before long, dealers are forced to rebuild motors under warranty and magazines are brutally critical of test bikes. Used Harleys are described as “pre-AMF” in classified ads.

YEP, that is what I remember happened, AMF nearly KILLED H.D.

Audiovox is a U.S. public company that files with the Securities & Exchange Commission and is listed on NASDAQ as "VOXX"

Link to 2/28/10 annual report

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/807707/000080770710000010/form10k.htm

It does seem like the purchase of Klipsch will be a "diversification" for Audiovox (i.e. pro cinema/audio division, etc.). The details presented below are excerpts from the annual report filed with the Securities & Exchage Comission.

Business

Audiovox Corporation (“Audiovox", “We", "Our", "Us" or “Company") is a leading international distributor in the accessory, mobile and consumer electronics industries. With our most recent acquisition of Invision Automotive Systems, Inc. we have added manufacturing capabilities to our business model. We conduct our business through eleven wholly-owned subsidiaries: American Radio Corp., Audiovox Electronics Corporation (“AEC”), Audiovox Accessories Corp. (“AAC”), Audiovox Consumer Electronics, Inc. (“ACE”), Audiovox German Holdings GmbH (“Audiovox Germany”), Audiovox Venezuela, C.A., Audiovox Canada Limited, Entretenimiento Digital Mexico, S. de C.V. (“Audiovox Mexico”), Code Systems, Inc, Schwaiger GmbH (“Schwaiger”) and Invision Automotive Systems, Inc. (“Invision”). We market our products under the Audiovox® brand name, other brand names and licensed brands, such as Acoustic Research®, Advent®, Ambico®, Car Link®, Chapman®, Code-Alarm®, Discwasher®, Energizer®, Heco®, IncaarTM, Invision®, Jensen®, Mac AudioTM, Magnat®, Movies2Go®, Oehlbach®, Phase Linear®, Prestige®, Pursuit®, RCA®, RCA Accessories®, Recoton®, Road Gear®, Schwaiger®, Spikemaster® and Terk®, as well as private labels through a large domestic and international distribution network. We also function as an OEM ("Original Equipment Manufacturer") supplier to several customers and presently have one reportable segment (the "Electronics Group"), which is organized by product category.

Properties

Corporate headquarters is located at 180 Marcus Blvd. in Hauppauge, New York. In addition, as of February 28, 2010, the Company leased a total of 26 operating facilities or offices located in 12 states as well as Germany, China, Malaysia, Canada, Venezuela, Mexico, Hong Kong and England. The leases have been classified as operating leases, with the exception of one, which is recorded as a capital lease. These facilities are located in Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, New York, Ohio, Nevada, Mississippi, Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Massachusetts. These facilities serve as offices, warehouses, distribution centers or retail locations. Additionally, we utilize public warehouse facilities located in Virginia, Nevada, Mississippi, Illinois, Indiana, Mexico, Germany and Canada.

Products

The Company currently reports sales data for the following two product categories:

Electronics products include:

§

mobile multi-media video products, including in-dash, overhead, headrest and portable mobile video systems,
§ autosound products including radios, speakers, amplifiers and CD changers,

§

satellite radios including plug and play models and direct connect models,
§ automotive security and remote start systems,

§

automotive power accessories,
§ rear observation and collision avoidance systems,

§

home and portable stereos,
§ digital multi-media products such as personal video recorders and MP3 products,

§

camcorders,
§ clock-radios,

§

digital voice recorders,
§ home speaker systems,

§

portable DVD players,
§ digital picture frames, and

§

e-readers.

Accessories products include:

§

High-Definition Television (“HDTV”) antennas,
§ Wireless Fidelity (“WiFi”) antennas,

§

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (“HDMI”) accessories,
§ home electronic accessories such as cabling,

§

other connectivity products,
§ power cords,

§

performance enhancing electronics,
§ TV universal remotes,

§

flat panel TV mounting systems,
§ iPod specialized products,

§

wireless headphones,
§ rechargeable battery backups (UPS) for camcorders, cordless phones and portable video (DVD) batteries and accessories,

§

power supply systems,
§ electronic equipment cleaning products, and

§

set-top boxes.

Given Audiovox 2/28/10 fiscal year-end sales figures of approximately $551 million and various estimates of Klipsch of ~ $175 million annually, it will be a significant acquisition for Audiovox and Klipsch will increase their size ~ 25% (of the combined company). Since the size of Klipsch in comparison to Audiovox is fairly significant, the fact that Klipsch would not really have significant duplication to Audiovox (also, Audiovox management may not have the requisite expertise), Klipsch stands a good chance to be run as a stand-alone subsidiary/division without too much restructuring (at least in the near-term).

AMF Harleys were oil leaking pieces of junk.

You'll be seeing Klipsch sold at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Target,....

"Attention Walmart shoppers.... we are now having a blue light special on the Teakwood Jubilee speakers you see on the endcap of isle 3"

HaHa! Good one Rich. If it were only that simple...wait, that could be very bad or very good!

You'll be seeing Klipsch sold at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Target,....

"Attention Walmart shoppers.... we are now having a blue light special on the Teakwood Jubilee speakers you see on the endcap of isle 3"

Seriously along these lines I'm not so sure that selling things like the iGroove, ProMedia, Image S, HD HTIB, and even Synergy series such stores wouldn't be a good thing. Exposure. It's sometimes hard to find the iGroove SXT at the local Best Buy. Or the CS-500 or CS-700 when they were out.

Target probably sells tons of (rhymes with hose) iPod speakers and 'phones. Why not Klipsch too? It seems like the ProMedia 2.1 were hard to find at our local Best Buy when they were available at the local Best Buy.

Anybody can write a Wikipedia article. Fact is, AMF saved The Motor Company. It was in serious trouble before AMF bought them, with "low performance, poor handling, and quality issues" existing before 1969. This was because Harley was selling 1950s design motorcycles and ignoring foreign competition. AMF made a substantial investment in Harley that set it up for later growth.

I find it interesting that after all these years Harleys from AMF years sell for more than they cost new. And the Jap bikes of that era? Gee, I don't know. There are none around for sale. Either they didn't hold up very well or no one wants a 1971 Honda.

In this buyout, I hope that the Klipsch employees are able to keep their jobs and that Audiovox does not move any more desperatly needed manufacturing jobs 'offshore".If I were an Audiovox manager I would be looking to use our marketing muscle to expand sales of the Synergy line, in order to support the higher end lines, Reference and Heritage. Much like Porsche used to sell their low end cars to continue making their flagship model.

This reminds me of a story I heard while doing some work for Beringer Winery in Saint Helena, CA. Beringer puts out some great wines (Private Reserve Cab, for one), but by far their best seller is white zin. Ed Sbragia is their winemaster, but has nothing to do with their mass-market wines (but is fully aware what products "pay the bills" and allow him to do his thing with the good stuff). The story goes that during a tasting, someone put a glass of their white zin in front of him, and asked for a description of the "bouquet." He took a sniff and pronounced, "It smells like new French oak barrels."