RF-7

kpgould

I have top of the line RF-7s and am a little under impressed. Perhaps it's because I have them up in a very snug custom built bookshelve setting. Is there a need for space behind the large speakers? They sound a little muffeled...

Thanks !

yes, the ones i listened to at a dealer were out from the back wall some distance.

experiment with placement, RF-7's do not sound muffled normally....

The first thing I would do is pull them out of there and move them around and listen. I can't imagine having mine packed in tight to anything especially back in tight against walls. You have two large port tubes moving a lot of air out the rear when you are listening at upper levels. I know they're a PITA to move but they are sensitive to their position.

I have top of the line RF-7s and am a little under impressed. Perhaps it's because I have them up in a very snug custom built bookshelve setting. Is there a need for space behind the large speakers? They sound a little muffeled...

Thanks !

RF-7s are at the top of their line, but by no means are they anywhere near the top of the Klipsch line. Having said that, not only do they need to be pulled out and preferably port firing into the corners, they also need a bigger more load stable amp than most Klipsch speakers. 200 watts RMS will help your bass output considerably.

Roger

I was unimpressed as well, I build two very snug water tight cabinets in very nice wood that completly encompased each of my RF-7s. The wood work and finished of the cabinets is outstanding and I filled them with water to further weight down the cabinets but the performance of the speakers now suck. What gives?

Perhaps RF7II would perform better in the same situation?

Thanks !

RF-7s are at the top of their line, but by no means are they anywhere near the top of the Klipsch line. Having said that, not only do they need to be pulled out and preferably port firing into the corners, they also need a bigger more load stable amp than most Klipsch speakers. 200 watts RMS will help your bass output considerably.

Roger

He was 100% correct, the 7's were the top of the line(rf) EXACTLY as he stated.So....you gotta get in a jab? why?

I was unimpressed as well, I build two very snug water tight cabinets in very nice wood that completly encompased each of my RF-7s. The wood work and finished of the cabinets is outstanding and I filled them with water to further weight down the cabinets but the performance of the speakers now suck. What gives?

Perhaps RF7II would perform better in the same situation?

JB,

I am starting to appreciate your humor ever more so!

Thanks !

Roger

He was 100% correct, the 7's were the top of the line(rf) EXACTLY as he stated.So....you gotta get in a jab? why?

Fish,

Not that it is your buiseness, but it wasn't ment as a jab. Don't understand why he had to call them top of the line as it is irrelevant to the question. Further still, it says top of the line, not top of the RF line. Further still, it makes a major differance on expectations as to if he wants these for music or home theatre, but the reasons for lack or muffled bass are obvious unless he also has a component problem. Not putting down RF-7s, I bought them for my parrents, but they are not "THE" top of the line, especially for music, but then some or most have never experienced the top. So once again, back at you, why do you take offense at my post.

Roger

Thanks !

Roger

Fish,

Not that it is your buiseness, but it wasn't ment as a jab. Don't understand why he had to call them top of the line as it is irrelevant to the question. Further still, it says top of the line, not top of the RF line. Further still, it makes a major differance on expectations as to if he wants these for music or home theatre, but the reasons for lack or muffled bass are obvious unless he also has a component problem. Not putting down RF-7s, I bought them for my parrents, but they are not "THE" top of the line, especially for music, but then some or most have never experienced the top. So once again, back at you, why do you take offense at my post.

Roger

KP,

The speakers inside of the cabinits literally move back and forth to create sound waves in the air. Like moving your hand back and forth in the bathtub, the same principals apply here. Think of sound as waves in the water and plan accordingly for unimpeaded waves with no reflctions bouncing off of the walls or other objects and no objects obstructing their path.

In order for the speakers to correctly and accurately produce waves, they need to breath freely and without any obstructions in front of them.

I know the cheese cake photos show the speakers bunched up next to the TV set or mixed in with expensive bookshelves, but the fact is that both of these are usually poor placement options. In a retro cheese cake photo there would probably be girls in bikinis with machine guns hanging on the speaker, but PC has eliminated this type of shot. [:D]

A good reference book, which I have read, is Home theater for dummies. Its worth checking out at the library or buying a used copy on Amazon.

My suggestion would be to clear out the walls behind the speakers, completely if possible.

* Locate the speakers 10 to 15 feet apart if possible.

* Locate the speakers in clear unobstructed corners if possible.

* Make sure the rear of the speakers are at least 12 to 24 inches off of the wall.I think the RF7s vent out the rear for easy movement of the woofers.

* Angle the speakers toward the chair you sit in, preferable the most comfortable one located in a straight line directly in front of your best TV set. If you favorite chair can be located no less than 15 feet from the speakers, they will sound better.

* If you have wood or tile floors, place a thick piece of rug under each speaker to help isolate them and absorb any sound bouncing off of the floor. I use two very thick cotton door mats with no backing which makes pulling the speaker out or rotating it to service the rear much easier.

* Thick carpeting, heavy curtains and full book shelves in the room are OK and my be desireable for reducing echos. Fabric furniture is also a good thing. Don't obstruct the line to the speakers with anything. If you ever wanted to hang oriental rugs on the wall, this is the room to do it in. Close the curtains for better sound.

* If you ever have a room built, spend the extra bucks and get sound absorbing drywall, I would have to check but real wood may also work well. Hard floors are OK but use lots of thick area rugs, if in a basement a drop ceiling with acusitic tiles may be a good thing.IMHO and ideal room size would be approximately 30 x 50 feet. TV and speakers off of the walls by 2-3 feet, my favorite chair approximately in the middle of the room, surrounds on the sides and rear corners at head level or higher up and angled down. A large three car garage, with the upstairs media room would do the trick with an upstairs connection to the staircase located inside of the house and an exterior solid wood door for the entry way, maybe with a deadbolt.

Hope this helps.

PS I haven't tried the RF7s but they get very good reviews, they are however not the most expensive speakers in the stable.

twistedcrankcammer,

Top of the line can mean different to different ears.

The RF-7's are quite capable for music, as is the Klipschorn.

I remember back when I was told if I had a pair of Klipschorn's, I would not want my RF-7 speakers, this was not the case. They both are a little different, each
having it's pluses over the other. I have them both for obvisous reasons but to each his/her own.

I've had different Klipsch speaker but at the moment I have Klipschorn's, KLF-20, RF-7, Cornscala and when guest or relatives are over, it always falls to this:

Some prefer Cornscala as best
Some prefer RF-7 as best
Some prefer KLF-20 as best
Some prefer Klipschorn as best

All give reasons to why overall why they feel it's better than the others.

It depends on who's ears like what, and that's the way it is in Audio.

If he said top of the line, what does it really matter?

It's the RF line and we pretty much get the idea that it used to be the top of the RF line.

The RF-7 is still a great Klipsch speaker to enjoy for years to come for music or HT.