One of the earliest forum ID's

Guest " "

Was curious of the first post. Found this fellow who joined on 12 Jun 1999. He may be one of the earliest. It looks like the forum was zapped around this time, there are references to discussion items that are no longer searchable.

post-22082-13819638519816_thumb.png

Was curious of the first post. Found this fellow who joined on 12 Jun 1999. He may be one of the earliest. It looks like the forum was zapped around this time, there are references to discussion items that are no longer searchable.

He was around in my time. Should be more of his stuff later. I am a relative newcomer and remember him...

Dave

It was fun back then.

Before the internet became commonplace, it was Usenet groups dedicated to audio and hifi. Usenet required a telnet connection made thru either a university or dedicated server. The discussions were outrageous, completely uncensored. "Bullying" as it is referred to now, was the norm. Eventually the whole thing went viral. In the late 90s, most of the unmoderated sites became completely infected with spam. The ones that were moderated were done so by dopey, self rightous engineering or physics grad students at the universities where the servers were located.

Before the internet became commonplace, it was Usenet groups dedicated to audio and hifi.

And before that was "BITNET." The "Because Its Time" Network. I was transferring files and holding near real time chats with friends in the states from the National University of Singapore in the late 80's. Bitnet was cool and "moderation" hadn't been thought of yet. Anything went, and most things did. Speed was quite good as you were connected by PC to university mainframes. Modems hadn't become common yet. By the time I got back to the states, peer to peer connections via 300, then the blazing 1200 baud modems had become common. Then, of course, came Compuserve and the rest.

Dave

I remember paying a dollar a minute long distance charge from Iceland to download a file back in the early '90s using Compuserve. My original membership to this forum dates back to 2001 but a move and change of providers left me unable to sign on so I created my current username.

Amy-

When you joined in 2000 did you go by another name like forum admin or moderator? Back in the early days of the forum I thought the moderators were name-less. In other words, I do not recall the moderator named "Amy".

Also, Q-man has a 1999 born-on date. He hasn't posted here in some time.

jw

• Moderators

Amy-

When you joined in 2000 did you go by another name like forum admin or moderator? Back in the early days of the forum I thought the moderators were name-less. In other words, I do not recall the moderator named "Amy".

I've always been Amy unger. I'm so transparent :). I was hired as ProMedia Tech Support, so all my time was spent in that section. Which is why you probably never saw me. I took responsibility of the entire forum in 2002 or 3ish, when I moved into product development.

Hard to believe it is nearly 11 years since I've joined this thing! I bought these RF-7s back in April of 2002. Before that I just had a set of ProMedia (the original reason I joined, as I had a question about them).

Even after 8 years of having these RF-7s, I am still absolutely blown away at just how good these things sound, especially with the B&K amp.

My anniversary is in 3 days! I thought I had posts before 3/24/00, but with a different name (mrfini or Mr. Fini maybe?). I think I had just bought some used KG-4s. Man, a lot has happened since then...

My first post (which appears to be lost) was a request for information on the KP-3002, which I've yet to receive btw.... [;)] That's when I learned that Klipsch made home speakers, and now I've been dying to see them get back into the pro arena. This has always been the most informative and fun audio forum on the Internet.