Pressure Washers

CIGARBUM

Do we have any resident experts on these critters? My old Excell (Home Depot Special) just gave up the weinerbisket. The Honda engine is OK but the pump just doesn't produce pressure. I have carried it around to a few repair shops and they say it's just junk and not worth rebuilding.

So this leads me to the purchase of a new one, there is only about a killion of these things out there. I really hate going to one of the big box stores because if anything goes wrong they will just tell you that you have to contact the manufacture, There is a couple of small retail stores that carry a real good quality equipment but they want about $900 for a 2700PSI unit, a very good quality unit, cat pump and Honda engine, just more that I really want to spend, but the up side is they will service what they sell. I only use these things about 4 times a year if that and I suspect the pumps go bad from drying out. The only thing I have not done in the past is put anti-freeze in the pump during the winter, don't a lot of real cold days here.

Anyone have any good ideas on a good pressure washer

Cigarbum

I've used Honda powered 2500psi one for several years now with no problems. Running some water through the pump with a little anti-freeze in the "solution tank" is an age old trick to keep the pump lubricated. Unfortunately, what causes them to go bad is sitting around and not being used and the seals dry out and crack, etc. I generally will pull out mine and use about once a month to remove bugs, etc from the bumpers, quick clean on the porch sidewalk, etc. Anything to just run it for 15-20 minutes. The $599 at Home depot is a pretty good one. Should last for years if run once a month, etc.

I want to stay around 2600PSI, just general duty, hosing the Jeep, Infinty, house and shop. Again one of my main hangups is dealing with the big box stores, I know doing business with the small local guys, if anything every goes wrong I can take it back and the will repair or replace, they are just more expensive, but I guess that is the price you pay for the convience.

CB

I bought a Karcher model HD 3101 DR about 5 years ago online for a total of $527.35 delivered. It has a 9 hp Suburu-Robin engine that's built like a tank, for you small engine fanatics. You might want to check out the engine as well as the pump, before you buy. Many pressure washers, as mentioned earlier, are simple throwaways. Honda builds (did build) some small engines with composite (plastic) parts, like a crankshaft. I personnally never cared for plastic small engine parts.

You can get a Dirtblaster rotary nozzle and cut down small trees or remove the paint from your car. I bought a Dirtblaster rotary nozzle (solid brass) online for $10 or $12 bucks. Use Pump Guard in the pump. It is cheap, easy to use and one container will last for years.

Here is a link that might help with some information.

http://www.karcherresidential.com/en/showproducts.php?op=view_prod&param1=17&param2=options&param3=

After a quick search I ran across this outfit that you might check out. I don't know anything about them.

Good luck in your search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Karcher-3000-PSI-2-5GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer-G3050OH-NEW-/390296675006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf7ea2be

Keith

The Honda engine is OK but the pump just doesn't produce pressure.

I've got a generator with the same condition - Honda engine is fine but the generator part is not working again, after being fixed three times and only lasting for a little while each time.

Love those Honda engines.

Greg

• 10 months later...

The pump is everything. Even the 20,000PSI pumps blow the seals (and the 150 HP motor) after about three years of use. You learn how to install new seals real fast. With those little buggers (3,000 PSI) I would have about 5 new pumps on the shelf ready to go. Input filtering (very fine) of the water does help.

JJK

Just watch your arm with most all gas units... The kick back can be a killer...

I've gone electric, with one from COSTCO... It starts every time.... and my arm is safe....

There is a correct procedure for safely starting "pull start" engines, it reduces "kick-back" significantly.

Electric washers just don't cut it....in general, not much more pressure than a hose with a good nozzle.

Just watch your arm with most all gas units... The kick back can be a killer...

I've gone electric, with one from COSTCO... It starts every time.... and my arm is safe....

There is a correct procedure for safely starting "pull start" engines, it reduces "kick-back" significantly.

Electric washers just don't cut it....in general, not much more pressure than a hose with a good nozzle.

Yes, that may be true... but who reads the instructions anymore? LOL....

I used my pressure washer last week for about 3 hours. It hasn't been cranked in at least 3 years, maybe 4 years. I put pump lubricant and fuel treatment in it the last time I used it. Installed a new spark plug and it cranked right up. No leaks.

Use the pump lubricant. It's a lot cheaper than a new pump.

K.

Agreed Keith.

But like you I also have a Karcher HD 3101.

Always use the pump lubricant every year and fuel treatment over the winter.

Not one leak and runs and pumps like new.

But these 3101 models actually are quite a bit more powerful than your local car wash.

The Dirtblaster rotary nozzle can be dangerous. As stated it will cut down small trees.