at what volume levels do you guys watch movies ( thx relative )

forestelder

I see some guys have it on -40 -30 at that level the sound is very soft with my setup. How come i have too crank it up between -20 and -15 ( for movies ), is it because the volume for each speaker is set at -9.5 in my receiver ( onkyo 3008 )?

When i use dynamic EQ + dynamic volume i can listen at - 30 and the sound is much louder. Must be the dynamic range or something.

• Moderators

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think someone's -20db would be different than my -20db. With room acoustics, Audessey settings and manufacturer differences, I don't see how they could be the same. I would think a more appropriate setting is what dB on a Multimeter do you typically listen to.

Islander's method - dialogue is clear, not too loud, and the rest pretty much falls into place. Loud? Volume level? Around 40-45 on the living room HT Onkyo's dial. As in not very loud. My ears are sensitive....

Cool

Problem is with that method if you hear the dialogue loud the special effects ( explosives ) will be 10 times louder! Thats why dynamic volume is so handy for me.

Islander's method - dialogue is clear, not too loud, and the rest pretty much falls into place. Loud? Volume level? Around 40-45 on the living room HT Onkyo's dial. As in not very loud. My ears are sensitive....

Cool

Problem is with that method if you hear the dialogue loud the special effects ( explosives ) will be 10 times louder! Thats why dynamic volume is so handy for me.

By "dynamic volume", do you mean "limited dynamic range", such as some pre-amps/receivers provide, sometimes called Night setting? It reduces the loudest sounds for listening late at night, without lowering softer sounds, like conversations. That's very helpful at times, especially with some viewers who just don't like loud sounds, realistic or not.

I only listen to movies in two channel, and that's through a Heresy pair. I would be tempted to put my stereo comp/limiter in the mix, so I could do that. I did have it hooked up to my system hanging off the computer, but it's been dismantled for a while.

Chick movies with the family at 17 to 22 dB below reference, action movies at 7 to 10 dB below reference, and my 5-minute Tron Legacy demo at full reference level (the LFE is awesome at scence 4). Reference occurs at -13 dB on my dial, but I have no headroom left on the sub at full reference because of very aggresive EQ. I guess I need bass traps and the like to aliviate some of that.