Change in the country's electric service?

USNRET

It's interesting to me that the story did not mention exactly what they are referring to and that is 60hz. It never occured to me that the grid corrected for deviations to that frequency and mostly for the benefit of electric clocks?

I really doubt that a small variance in the grids freq. now and again will hurt anything including our precious audio gear.

Freqs in Europe are 50 Hz. No problems between there and here for audio equip (I lived over there for a substantial majority of my years). Only thing I did when I came back was change fuses in equipment (double the amp rating for half the current voltage, e.g: from 2 amp to 4 amp for change from 240 VAC to 120 VAC)

[H]

Checking the frequency many many years ago with a very good frequency counter it checked 60.000 hz. Large frequency changes (10hz) will reak havoc on motors and such if it is of prolonged and stacato duration.

JJK

Line frequency doesn't seem to be as critical as it used to be. Most power supplies ("wall warts") are now marked "50-60Hz 100-240V". The power inlet on my E-V Dx38 is marked "90-250V 50-60Hz".

As for turntable speed, the Technics units use a quartz-locked circuit that's independent of line frequency. Turntables with synchronous motors might have an issue.

The frequency of the electricity is one reason why Japan is having energy shortages due to the Fukashima meltdown, one half of Japan is 50Hz and the other 60Hz. I bet you can figure out what technology we gave them during reconstruction and what the Euros did.

They also drive on the swordhand side as well..... Silly Brits

the changes could result in loosing 12 seconds per year on your clock. keep in mind that UPS that you have in your homes can have up to 10% frequency variation and still be sold as a 60Hz UPS.

I think its funny how they dont minchin what the Hz could reach, like someone else said, if they go to far up or down it can screw up sensitive electronics that dont have a power line filter... Like some serg protectors and high end UPS supplies have.