The hot sauce fairy came today

dtel

dtel,

Yeh. Tabasco Chipotle could be my favorite. It really has a nice robust flavor without being overly hot. La. Hot sauce, is also in the same temp range, pretty good, but too salty IMO.

Have always been a fan of original Tabasco, but a little goes a long way. Bought a gallon of the original and it took almost three years to go through it which is too long to stay really fresh. Tabasco does also sell the Chipotle in half-gallon size. Wish they sold the original in half-gallons. Love the original to spice up tomato juice with a little Chrystal Worcestershire sauce. yum!

One thing, have been curious about the family reserve Tabasco, but my curiosity has not overcome the price. They are pretty proud of that product.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

One thing, have been curious about the family reserve Tabasco, but my curiosity has not overcome the price. They are pretty proud of that product.

I did see that but had the same problem, if I ever get down there I would like to try some, if they do that ?

One of my favorites is Cholula it is based on one of my favorite peppers the pequin' it's hot but loaded with flavor. The Cholula is not overly hot and tastes far better than Tabasco sauce in any flavor.

I get the pequin's fresh from my brother in law in South Texas. Also love the serrano peppers.

• Moderators

had a fun time watching some you tube videos of people eating these ghost peppers. Man, those you tube guys get around don't they?

They have some idiots out there, even willing to film themselves being stupid. There was a video of some dummy snorting Wasabi, that's a talent to be proud of. [:@]

had a fun time watching some you tube videos of people eating these ghost peppers. Man, those you tube guys get around don't they?

I've got a ghost pepper plant at home. I can't eat them as fast as they grow so I'll bring some to work from time to time and give tthe extras to my co-workers. There's a couple guys here that can eat them without an enormous ammount of discomfort. I don't know how they stand it.

I bought some Mrs. Renfroe's salsa with ghost peppers. It was too hot to enjoy.

Cholula is good stuff. Have seen it available as a condiment at IHOP.

Here's a link to the "family reserve"

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/TABASCO-Family-Reserve-Collectors-Edition/productinfo/03581/

Not sure why I balk at the price. $25 for a 5 oz. bottle. It's not like I haven't thrown away more on less on other occasions. I suppose it is just hard to imagine that it would be noticeably better than regular Tabasco, which is pretty darn good. IMO.

Here's a laugh: several years ago I read that a tablespoon or two of tabasco will relieve a headache. I've tried it on several occasions and it actually works. It's not all that painful either, but supposedly enough to release endorphins which help with the headache!

Here's a laugh: several years ago I read that a tablespoon or two of tabasco will relieve a headache. I've tried it on several occasions and it actually works. It's not all that painful either, but supposedly enough to release endorphins which help with the headache!

Several years ago, I worked at the city's newspaper. They had a small cafeteria for the staff, and would serve up a chili... I would always add about a tablespoon of Tabasco. Never caught a cold, and it blew out a sore throat very quickly.

Bruce

Seti, yum. I'm impressed!

in the Tabasco Family Reserve Dept: just noticed that the Tabasco Country Store also offers a non collector's item for $10. That's alot more economical than the $24.95 with the slick medallion and green wax seal. Yay! Don't have to wait on Santa. and besides, haven't been good enough for Santa to bring this anyway

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/5-oz-TABASCO-Reserve-Pepper-Sauce/productinfo/03465/

• Moderators

Just made a batch of hot sauce from cheyenne tabasco jalapeno and scotch bonnet peppers. It looks good so far. It is on the shelf to age a few weeks.

I wouldn't know where to start, guess I should check it out and plan for next spring. Probably need to lookout for maby some different peppers without going extreme in heat, Thanks

• Moderators

Dee, that's a much better deal, I didn't even see that. They sure did the marketing thing, you can buy almost anything with there brand on it.

Dee; "Don't have to wait on Santa. and besides, haven't been good enough for Santa to bring this anyway"

Now that's hard to believe.

Dee, I'm making a really good batch soon. I'll make a special reserve bottle.

Just made a batch of hot sauce from cheyenne tabasco jalapeno and scotch bonnet peppers. It looks good so far. It is on the shelf to age a few weeks.

I wouldn't know where to start, guess I should check it out and plan for next spring. Probably need to lookout for maby some different peppers without going extreme in heat, Thanks

It is easy to make pepper sauce. I do caribbean style sauces.

Fresh garlic roasted in olive oil in a pan with onions added after they start to brown. Mix a bit of tumeric for flavor. I use ALOT of garlic. Remove stems from all peppers and cut in half. This time I did like 5 cups of peppers. Blender time. Put some peppers in blender. Add salt. Add some vinegar and water. Add some of the onions and garlic. Add mustard you can use cheap yellow or dijon. I used dijon. I like to use bolthouse farms or naked juices something with pineapple mango banana. Then blend your brains out repeat until everything is blended. Add everything to a big pot and cook it for 30 minutes. This is where you can taste test and decide what you want to do. If it is too hot add some fruit juice or vinegar or water or a little of all. This will thin it out. You don't have to strain the sauce but I have been doing this lately it makes it a little thinner depending on straining method. Last step is to bottle and age for a few weeks. I wish I had more fruit to this batch. Next time I'll double or triple the fruit juice.

You can also do minimal sauce. Take your peppers blend with salt garlic vinegar and water. Cook it and strain it and bottle it. Sometimes this is really good.

earlier on in the year I found a recipe for a habanero peach sauce. It has more peaches than habanero and a few spices and it was really good, imo. Not really that much heat, but full of flavor with a pleasant kick to it. It was my first try making any kind of pepper sauce, though have canned some sliced jalapenos. It could be that this sort of method is a workable strategy to appreciate the flavor of the pepper and survive the heat.

several years ago that had picked up a novelty sauce in Branson. It was labeled insanity sauce. he took a toothpick and dipped about 1/4 inch into the sauce and gave it to me to taste. Actually caused a cough reflex.

another example was my nephew employed in an Indy bbq restaurant. They had four sauces progressivly hotter and the hottest was "slap yo momma" sauce. Told him that sounded exciting. I took some and it way to hot to enjoy, to my taste. I took it and diluted it by half in mild sauce. Still too hot. Diluted that yet again by half with mild sauce. It was still moderately spicy, but even then just wasn't good sauce.