The hot sauce fairy came today

dtel

• Moderators

Well it really wasn't a fairy just my sister, about a month ago we were talking about hot sauce and I said Tabasco Chipotle was one of my favorites. The little bottles were fine but I wanted to get a gallon because it's much cheaper in the long run, it's not like I will quit using it.

She came in today and gave me a present, she said it was for cutting her grass, she said that or diesel for cutting, she has 3.5 acres and can't really cut it herself. We had also talked about the Garlic hot sauce so this is what she gave me.

I am set for a while.....except for other brands which I will keep trying. I like Chipotle for the smoky flavor but I do NOT like the sauces that makes you want to cry so I don't like many sauces out there, I like my taste buds not blistered. [:@]

They have a nice website also. http://countrystore.tabasco.com/

post-11804-13819658142976_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Any way you can relate this TASTE vs. CRYING to the Pace Picante Medium? That's the heat / flavor I like.

That's good, not really hot, I don't mind a little hot but I want flavor first, if it's got some heat that's OK but flavor first.

Cool jug ! I have a gallon jug of regular Tabasco that some friends gave me years ago which I use now as a coin jug . Mine went bad at about a year ; I had it on a shelf above the stove . So as long as you keep it away from a heat source it should be fine .

• Moderators

Tabasco rates these as some of the mildest they make, I don't care for the regular Tabasco. I do also like Crystal, Louisiana, and Melinda's Chipotle sauce. The Crystal and and louisiana sauce has more of a vinegar and salt flavor and a little milder than the Tabasco.

• Moderators

Cool jug ! I have a gallon jug of regular Tabasco that some friends gave me years ago which I use now as a coin jug . Mine went bad at about a year ; I had it on a shelf above the stove . So as long as you keep it away from a heat source it should be fine .

I will keep it away from heat, it did have a sticker on the box that said "best if used by 5/12 which suprised me a little, I need to get busy, I got about a year. [:P]

I could never use a gallon of the regular Tabasco in a year, it's hotter.

I really do miss the Trappey´s Louisiana hot sauce. That´s the one we had in the Army and I used it on my Omlet with ham and Cheeze, hashbrowns and SOS just about every day the 8 years I served. 2 Eggs overeasy with hashbrowns and SOS was the 2nd favorite.

We do get the Tabasco here naturally and I made some wicked BBQ sauce with the Chipotle. I tend to like the tangyer vinegar heavy myself though.

I agree with dtel; Hot's ok, but I have lately considered the flavor angle. No point in turning my mouth into ground zero from a nuclear strike.... [+o(] I have now started to make my own. Either poblanos, serranos, or jalpenos, and maybe a couple of small "strategic" habaneros, cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt. I grind the chiles up really fine, add the rest of the stuff, simmer for a couple hours, cool and into a mason jar into the fridge.

[H]

i too enjoy the heat and have many brands of hot, hotter and nuclear sauces. Paula Dean uses a mild hot sauce to wet her fried chicken to prep it for a flour dunk before frying. You can make nifty hot nut clusters by melting dark chocolate, adding cayenne and then adding your favorite type of nut. Portion them out on wax paper and let them cool. Cream cheese and hot pepper jelly's make great cracker spreads. Any hot sauce over eggs, cooked any way. YUM! YUM! YUM!

This stuff is great!

mare_sriracha_hot_sauce_slideshow_1_h.jp

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshows/2010/01/sriracha_hot_sauce_slideshow#intro

My friend Steve dips fresh broccolli in it, that may be a bit hot for me, I use it for cooking.

I have a bottle at home and use it from time to time in different dishes. It has a very distinct taste. It's slightly hotter than Tabasco, which doesn't bother me, but I like the flavor of Tabasco a little better.

• Moderators

JL Sargent ; " It's fun to visit the Tabasco factory and they really do have a country store. With my loving wife being from Lake Charles, just down the road, I have had the pleasure. Avery Island is near Lake Peigneur where the salt mine flooded many years ago."

WOW

I had heard of that but had no idea it was that big of a lake to just disappear. We have been thinking about going down to Avery island and take the tour of the plant, we have never been there.

I like the hottest Tabasco - the Habenero hot sauce. If one does not want to go so hot, just use less. If hotter is desired, juice it up with more. I once drank a 5 oz. bottle of regular Tabasco on a bet, no sweat. I don't think I could do their Habanero product that way.

I've been using the same small bottle of Dinosaur Barbeque Devil's Duel Habanero hot sauce for probably the last 2 years. It's just a little bigger than a tabasco bottle but I can't seem to kill it. The stuff is REALLY hot, and still tastes respectable, but I learned you only need a tiny drop or two.