Cryo treated tubes.

The Dude

Title says it all, there are a couple of vendors out there that carry cryogenic treated tubes.

First off what tubes, well any for that matter. But what I was looking at was the Sovtek EL-84Ms, is it necesary to do this to a power tube.

I have not contacted the one vendor yet to see if they even have a couple of tubes to Cryo treat or how much they cost, the other seems to have a pair in I would have to contact them to see if they have a second.

Is this process worth the extra money, or would you just by a better quality tube. The one site has the the Cryo treated tubes for only $5.00 more than a non cryo treated pair from the other vendor.\

Duder

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can remember that (some) baseball bats (for little leaguers) are being cyro treated for greater life and hitting distance.. (and greater expense to dads buying them for their sons). Is this a racket or not.... LOL....

While I am an icorrigible tube roller I must admit I have never bought into the cryo-tube thing. I hear differences while tube rolling but cannot be certain that cryo treating makes an audible difference. it should be easy to test; buy some 6SN7 or 2A3 sovteks cryo'd and not cryo'd and see if they sound different/better when swapped. maybe I will try that some time. tony

There is a local HiFi store that cryos everything from tubes to phono carts to power cords and interconnects. I can hear differences between his interconnects and other interconnects but have never heard his non-cryoed and versus his cryo'ed.

I have a Wright phono stage with his cryoed tubes and all I can say is that they are noisy!

Josh

hi maron, this cryo treatment mentioned is not intended to lower the operating temperature of the tubes. it is a treatment given the tubes beofre usage which subjects them to very low temperatures for a period of time, it is supposed to do something at the molecular level, etc. As I said I have my doubts and would only believe it if I heard it, the only way being comparing non-cryo'd with cryo'd tubes in my system. I have not even been attracted enough by the concept to do that yet though. from a science standpoint I am not sure it makes much sense. T

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO THE TUBES BEFORE USE,,,WHEN THE TUBES ARE USED IN ITS OPERATING TEMP.. THE HOT MOLECCULAR MOTION WILL REVERT TO ITS HEATED STAGE,,,SAME WITH TRANSISTERS SAME WITH ANY HEATED CIRCUIT.. IF IT WAS A PASSIVE CABLE THAT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT...UNLESS YOU LEAVE IT IN THE HOT SUN..

In Audio, I have serious doubts of anything positive happening.

The process does seem to have an affect on the grain of some metals. Knives tend to perform better after treatment as do cutting tools for machines tools but they run with coolant or at room temp. Once heated above the transformation point, the grain structure changes and any benifit from the treatment is lost. This happens, depending on the metal, at somewhere around 1500F (give or take some), just about the time it is a dull glowing red. Tubes heaters run hotter than that so they will revert to a different, relaxed state when cooled from red hot. The plates, screens etc, to the best of my understanding do not get near the temp of transformation but I tend to see the whole process on tubes as sort of a VooDoo, like so much other stuff in this hobby.

No experience with tubes but I did buy a set of Dean Marklely cryo treated bass guitar strings and didn't like them. They sounded kind of "dead", almost like a string that had been played for many hours.

Not looking to get flamed by the masses here but I totally disagree with the common impression that this is all just make believe. I have been cryo treating all sorts of things for almost a dozen years personally and have been involved with the process for over twenty years. You can botch things up if you do a poor job of treating something but if done properly it works a real treat. Tubes transformers diodes resistors transistors you name it they sound better when cryo treated. Great for keeping a good edge on your pocket knife too. What more could you ask for? I hope this help to put some balance back into this discussion but I kind of think those who do not believe will not change their minds on my say so. Why not have a reputable treater cool some tubes for you and see for yourself as that is the only way that you will know for yourself. If you have a couple of sets of identical cables have one set treated and compare. Best regards Moray James.

PS: works wonders on compression driver domes too.

No experience with tubes but I did buy a set of Dean Marklely cryo treated bass guitar strings and didn't like them. They sounded kind of "dead", almost like a string that had been played for many hours.

When I was out trying different strings, I once wanted to try the Jerry Only signature series from Dean Markley. I called every shop in town and at that time no one carried Dean Markley. I told one of the clerks that I was looking for the Jerry Only serious, he just asked me why, I figured who cares why I just wanted to try them. Any ways never got to try them but thats the only experience I had with Dean Markley, maybe once their on line store is up and running I can then give them a try.

Nick

JAMES,, IF YOU WANT TO PUT A BETTER EDGE ON A BLADE,,,CRYO IS NOT THE ANSWERE,,HEAT TREATING AND QUENCHING IN OIL PLUS LAYER FOLDING LIKE THE JAPANESE HAVE BEEN DOING FOR CENTURIES IS THE SAMORI TRADITION.. YOU DONT DIP YOUR WIKKI IN CRYO FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE..