How Will You Remember Nine-Eleven?

boom3

I'll go first:

I'll remember my friend Dan, who survived the first WTC bombing in 1993. He has since died of an unrelated injury.

I'll remember my friend, a Methodist minister, who on 9/11 and 9/12 counselled a number of stranded airline passengers, some of whom had lost loved ones in the WTC, Pentagon, and Flight 93.

I'll remember the heroism of ordinary people who were forced into situations they never expected to face, like the choice between dying while fighting on one's feet versus dying while passively submitting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I heard a surviving firefighter (whose job was to work with a chief in the command center) tell the story of his best friend firefighter who hugged him and told him goodbye before going up in the North Tower. His friend seemed to know that he wouldn't be coming down safe. Didn't matter, he headed up the stairs of with the rest his company to fight the fires and rescue civilians.

The courage shown by the NYFD, NYPD and Port Authority Police was extraordinary.

I know the loss of life of these heroes and the WTC workers is still fresh to those who knew and loved them. God bless them all.

On Sunday I'll be attending a 9/11 memorial service.

I won't be doing anything special.I will be discussing the greatness of the American people in times of tragedy with friends and family.I will also be thinking of all the pain and loss of life of someones family and friends.I will also be discussing that special kind of evil that hates free people.

I have been thinking about 9/11 and those lost (and the loved ones left behind) on that sad day in our history a lot this week. I will probably watch the Concert For New York City DVD (recorded 10/20/01 from Madison Square Garden) at some point. I may also check out a 9/11 special or two on television...

In Sydney, we have had many programs for the last 11 days on the History channel from many different perspectives recapping the day including private individuals recollections, video and audio recordings.

When it happened, I was watching the evening news and live while the news was reporting on the first tower the video showed the second plane hit the other tower. The news reader stopped and turned around to see the image behind her and then turned back not knowing what to say and from that moment all scheduled programming was cancelled and the coverage of the event was continuous.

This evening at the hotel where the band was playing we all reflected on this event.

In Sydney, we have had many programs for the last 11 days on the History channel from many different perspectives recapping the day including private individuals recollections, video and audio recordings.

When it happened, I was watching the evening news and live while the news was reporting on the first tower the video showed the second plane hit the other tower. The news reader stopped and turned around to see the image behind her and then turned back not knowing what to say and from that moment all scheduled programming was cancelled and the coverage of the event was continuous.

This evening at the hotel where the band was playing we all reflected on this event.

Thanks for sharing that Rod, we often forget how it effected the rest of the world. I think we all sat in disbelief that day, 10 years ago.

As others have said, I will remember that day, by never forgetting. I couldn't if I tried. I had some of the same feelings of Horror and Disbelief this morning while watching the Memorial.

May we someday have Peace in the world!

Dennie

Remembering is the easy part... trying to see it in the greater context of history is another story.

My high school friend and guitar playing buddy was working at the Edison Historical Site in East Orange, NJ. The employees were able to see the towers from the rooftop of one of the buildings and they watched both of the towers fall.

I watched remotely from Georgia, home sick that day. I saw people jumping out of windows to escape the fires that were burning. Wathed as people were selfless in helping others. Cried for all the lives lost. I was (and am still) overwhelmed by the sympathy poured out from around the world. I wonder if we squandered their goodwill with how we've gone into other nations.

Since that day, I've lost a wife. Two of our children have married and have kids of their own. The youngest has finished college. I've happily remarried, and gained two stepsons. The kids... they're all adults, wondering how they will get through life.

Just like we wondered when we were that age, with the Cuban Missile Crises, Viet Nam...

... and there is building 7.

It holds a deep meaning for me as my son is a Marine stationed in Afghanistan.he could have entered any college in the country and been starting a career in business or architecture.When I asked him why he joined when he was 17.So my brother or someone else would not have to go.His mind was set after 9-11 to serve his country.I will always honor with reverence those who parished that sunny September morning.And those known and unknown in hallowed graves around the world.

It holds a deep meaning for me as my son is a Marine stationed in Afghanistan.he could have entered any college in the country and been starting a career in business or architecture.When I asked him why he joined when he was 17.So my brother or someone else would not have to go.His mind was set after 9-11 to serve his country.I will always honor with reverence those who parished that sunny September morning.And those known and unknown in hallowed graves around the world.

And I will always Honor your Son! Please him know that it means a lot to me! thumbup.gif

Thanks for sharing this,

Dennie usa.gif

I was only at the WTC two times. The first time, was in 1988 - I was bumming around Manhatten with an old girlfriend and we wanted to go to the bar on the top floor of one of the towers. They didn't let us on the elevator because I wasn't wearing a coat and tie (actually I was pretty scruffy - girlfriend looked real good though), so we just laid back on one of the benches in the plaza below and stared up at the towers 'til they ran us off - amazing to look up at those towers against the night sky.

The second time, I was with my wife and more money in September of 2000. I wore a coat and tie this time and my wife was as beautiful as ever. We had martinis at the bar and had a great meal at Windows on the World. Stunning view of Manhatten. I took this picture of the Brooklyn Bridge, shown below, from our table. After dinner, my wife and I laid back on one of the benches in the plaza below and stared up at the towers. Magical evening. A year later the towers and so many people were gone.

Posted Image

I was only at the WTC two times. The first time, was in 1988 - I was bumming around Manhatten with an old girlfriend and we wanted to go to the bar on the top floor of one of the towers. They didn't let us on the elevator because I wasn't wearing a coat and tie (actually I was pretty scruffy - girlfriend looked real good though), so we just laid back on one of the benches in the plaza below and stared up at the towers 'til they ran us off - amazing to look up at those towers against the night sky.

The second time, I was with my wife and more money in September of 2000. I wore a coat and tie this time and my wife was as beautiful as ever. We had martinis at the bar and had a great meal at Windows on the World. Stunning view of Manhatten. I took this picture of the Brooklyn Bridge, shown below, from our table. After dinner, my wife and I laid back on one of the benches in the plaza below and stared up at the towers. Magical evening. A year later the towers and so many people were gone.

bbwtc1.jpg

Great Photo, thanks for sharing it! [Y]

Dennie

And I will always Honor your Son! Please him know that it means a lot to me! thumbup.gif

Thanks for sharing this,

Dennie usa.gif

[Y]