Why vinyl?

SonicSeeker

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's harder to roll a joint on the "other" formats.[:D]

It's all subjective, but I find my vinyl front end has a much deeper and wider soundstage than my CD player. It's also warmer and less fatiguing to me.

It all depends on the turntable, cartridge, and most of all the phono stage. I just changed phono stages and it made a huge difference for the better.

Because it's harder to roll a joint on the "other" formats.Big Smile

Darn Right! I mean I can use a CD or SACD, but it is much more difficult! DVD-A are a little bigger, but not by much! rolling.gif

It is also the whole "Ritual" of playing a record. Picking it out, pulling out the inner sleeve and placing the record on the Turntable. Cleaning it and picking up the tonearm and setting it on the record. listening.gif

Vinyl has an analog sound that you do not get with the other formats.

Now, where did I leave my papers..... whistle.gif

Dennie

All valid points but I was hoping for something a little more technical.

I'm unaware of any compelling technical reason to move to vinyl, although there are recordings which may have better sound on vinyl than CD for various reasons beyond the technical qualifications of the two formats.

It is also the whole "Ritual" of playing a record. Picking it out, pulling out the inner sleeve and placing the record on the Turntable. Cleaning it and picking up the tonearm and setting it on the record. listening.gif

This is why I prefer charcoal over gas, camping over hotels, golf over tennis, fishing over hunting, etc. It's an open-ended past time that requires a little bit of planning before hand and ends with an activity that you can do with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. You don't have to good to enjoy it, but when everything works out right it's awesome and the memories and stories last forever!

So...I need to get into vinyl. I am just on the back end of vinyl as far as age is concerned. I was born in '78 and grew up with a record player and 8-Track in the house, but by the time I was 12 the record player was gone, casettes were everywhere and CDs were coming on strong. I've actually never bought a record...or owned a turn table, but someday.

Make sure your papers are...[;)]

There is no technical reason. I, for one, have heard digital that equaled the finest available LPs in fidelity, and surpassed them by nearly twice when it comes to dynamics.

So, here is why I have a couple of thousand LPs:

1. Cheap...Though prices have risen, used LPs are still the cheapest thrill around.

2. Generally, the engineering and performances are better. The reason is that not any fool can make an LP...takes a very special fool with considerable money and so more attention was paid.

3. The vast majority of LPs are not available in any other format. Perhaps it will come, but it will be a long time before that happens.

4. It's fun, if you like that sort of thing. There is something about the effort required to play an LP that is fun to some of us.

5. Albums. Lots of easy to read info and large pictures. Sometimes even a poster inside!

6. A sense of "being there." When i play my Kid Ory 78 the little etchings were made by HIM and his band. It's acoustic, meaning those etchings where chiseled by people power, not a computer. Yeah, a bit "spriitual" but I swear I have 78s that are downright spooky in their "presence."

7. They mark our passage as a race of men. Earth shall not see documents such as these again.

8. The equipment is beautiful and can't be stamped out in a factory. Some turntables are works of art.

9. No jewel boxes to fall apart.

10. Much easier to roll a joint on. The album covers, not the discs...

There you go! Ten good reason for "why vinyl."

Dave

Okay.... scratchheadyellow.gif An Album/record is 12" x 12" and a CD/SACD's are about 5.5" x 4.75". A DVD-A is 6" x 5.5". So, to keep your "Herb" from falling off while trying to roll a "dobbie", it is much easier to use a Record.

I hope that clears things up! [;)]

Dennie smokingpimp.gifthankyoublue.gif

You signal chain, assuming an analog preamp and amp, would be totally analog. Some would say this will be a more realistic playback.

Although, as much as I like my LP of Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms, it was recorded with a Sony 48 track digital recorder.

Bruce

Well, vinyl recordings don't suffer the brutal compression that many digital recordings often exhibit.

Engineering, not medium. Since anybody can master a CD everybody is, and the engineering quality has suffered enormously. The very finest audiophile LPs have to be compressed when wide dynamic range music is the subject as 70db is as good as it gets under the very best conditions. Even the lowly CD is good to 90db and hi res formats even more. I used some of the best RRs during the day, Nagra and stuido Ampex, and the very finest tape like Grandmaster. Nonetheless, gain riding had to be employed to stay above the noise floor and below clipping.

I never have to do this with digital recordings. Plenty of room.

Dave

Henry,

First, a little personal history. My first turntable was an AR- XA purchased around 1964. In the intervening years I owned (in order) an Empire 598 Mk III Troubador, a Thorens TD-124 and a B & O Beogram 8002 tangential tracking turntable. Phono cartridges ranged from Shure, Ortofon and B & O connected to a Marantz Model 7 or later to a solid state McIntosh preamp.

With the exception of symphonic music which I recorded live, LP records for the most part sucked as a program source. Thanks to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and their direct-to-disc recording process in the late '70s, one could enjoy an LP as it should have been stamped by Capitol, ABC, DG, etc.

If you want to compare LP vs. CD technology, there is a remarkable similarity between the two. Edison invented the commercially-viable technology of reading a wax groove with a stylus in the late 1880s. 125 years later in the case of the LP, we still read a groove with a stylus! In the case of a CD, we read pits with a light "stylus".

Is the CD "better" than the vinyl LP? I'm not going into that minefield. Let's just say that to my ear the LP and CD (with few exceptions) have not lived up to my definition of "high fidelity". On paper, the CD can out-perform any vinyl record in terms of signal-to-noise, distortion and flatness of response. Guess if tonearms were such a great thing, Philips/Sony would have used one in the CD players instead of the linear tracking beam of light! BTW, A CD is "read" from the inside out and at contant linear velocity, not the constant angular velocity of a record.

However, even the best Mobile Fidelity record or the newer boutique pressings cannot overcome the inherent weakness of the vinyl format such as tracing distortion, tracking error caused by a pivoted playback arm attempting to track a groove cut with a linear tracking cutting stylus, warpage, RIAA playback errors, etc.

Harry Niquist's sampling theorem was key to determining the sampling rate used for the CD format developed by Philips and Sony. Is it "high fidelity"? Sure, I'd rather listen to recorded music sampled at 192 kHz/24bit rather than CD's 44.1 kHz/16-bit. But then there's something called live music that requires no technology other than our remarkable sense of hearing!

Lee