Current opinions on LED/Plasma/3D

merkin

My present upstairs set is a 50" Sony DLP that is dying the slow death of the green haze. I thought I would replace it with a LED or plasma. The room does not have light control but where the TV is there is usually no glare problems. TV is used mostly for Television viewing. (I have a projector in basement for movies) I could go to a 55" especially if it doesn't have much boarder.

I'm don't know if it is worth getting a 3d now or just go with normal. I don't think I would set around with glasses to watch TV. But if I buy a normal TV am I going to be stuck with the new Nach cassette tape deck just 1 year before CD's really hit the market. Will there be a new 3d type without glasses released or will it go away as a fad.

Plasma verses led I see both the pro's and con's. Weight isn't an issue since it sets on a built in cabinet. Very little off angle viewing almost all view is from straight on at about 13 feet.

Well, I just went through this myself about 6 months ago.

I remember lots of tech that I got in on that no longer is used so I held off on the 3D thing. We settled for a 60" Sharp, the one with 4 colors (2 yellows) and it has an amazing picture. This was replacing our Sony Grand Wega RP set which was moved to the bedroom.

The HT still has our 119" projector setup which I tought looked fantastic but after staring at the new Sharp for a while, I can see I am going to need to upgrade the projector when the bulb goes out, it is a 720 unit so the tech is a bit dated but it has served us well for many years.

The 3D thing, I held off until the tech settles down but I am heavy into gaming when I have the time and the newest reviews from that world tends to rave about the 3D games. I still don't know, I had heard rumors of glass less 3D being worked on but again, will it pan out?

Good luck, I know it is not an easy decision but be aware that no matter what you buy, next month (whatever month that happens to be) it will be superseded by something else, since July of last year, the price of our TV has dropped by $300 new. [:S]

When we simply looked at all the TVs at Best Buy on the giant wall..........it just worked out that the best normal HD pictures were the 3D TVs. We were not interested in 3D but bought a Panasonic Viera 55" 3D anyhow because of the great picture. I still don't own any glasses.

I consider 3d a real fad. Its kool technology that is just too new and they push it so hard. I wouldnt pay extra for it either. Keep in mind, the tvs at bestbuy and other store arent calibrated to potential. I ak a sony guy and i like samsung too if i had to pick. Rear lit led with local dimiing is great, i have sidelit ajd recognize the bleeding issue but my picture is killer. I would do some searches on picture quality and see what benchmarks exist for the models you like

We recently bought an LG 47" LED-3D Smart TV, the picture quality is downright amazing. I did not buy it for the 3D function but love the 2D to 3D up conversion it really adds depth and width to the picture. The true 3D is amazing, this one uses the shutterless 3D glasses that are not tiresome to wear. The fabulout Costco price, 90 return period, and double warranty helped with the decision to purchase.

I can stream Netflix right though it and there are a boatload of cool apps. The additional Wii type remote is great when using the built in web browser.

It replaced a nice Hitachi 42" Cinema Plasma.

3D is just a feature, and it has no effect on 2D viewing. It was originally available on high-end TVs, but will eventually be on most TVs. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but I just noticed I can watch 3D Video on Demand movies straight into the TV, with no 3D disc player needed. In general, I don't think much 3D viewing will be done, so using the glasses every now and then is not a big deal.

To my eyes, the plasma displays look more natural, while some of the LCD sets make everything look like it's made of shiny plastic.

I have a Samsung 3D plasma TV. First I had a regular 2D samsung that had to be fixied twice in 18 months so they replaced it with the 3D tv. I really like the 3D tv for mostly 2D viewing. But I ocassionaly get the itch to watch sports programs, 3D blue-rays and on demand 3d shows for something different. Since I had the extended warranty I complained that it need calibration, so they came out a fine tuned it for free. Subxero is right about getting it calibrated for the best picture quality. If the cost is about the same, get it. Since the 3D tv's are not selling as well as the 2D tv, they have dropped the prices. Oh, I subsequently found out that there was nothing wrong with the 2D samsung except one of the setting was not correct. I am glad they let me keep it, lol.

I am also in the "3D is a fad" department, not being much interested in it after trying it out in several setups. Just give me a really good 2D pic and I'm happy.

It took me some time to recently sift through all of the choices - LED and plasma - and it seems you have an idea of some of the pros and cons of those. I bounced between the two types in showrooms for about six weeks, getting used to looking at the various models, then even adjusting a few in store per settings I got from AVS once I narrowed down to a few. Plasma is consistent corner to corner, LEDs are a bit brighter and exhibit more "pop", but can have more screen uniformity issues - so if you have a room with varied bright day and dimmer evening light that might lead more towards LED. In a light controlled room - usually plasma, but not always as I recommend having a good look in showrooms to make sure your eyes "like" it.

I ended up with a 55" Sony LED (HX729) with an Oppo 93 BR machine (all calibrated) and it is quite the show. This combo is very adept WRT scaling, making internet based video look quite good, DVD video looks UNBELIEVEABLE in many cases and can be easily mistaken for BR, and BR looks like BR should, and HD cable looks good to awesome, depending on the signal - most all HD stuff is good, even those channels not getting the best "treatment". I sit about 10 feet out and it looks really good - any minor flaws disappear over about 12 feet, and from 12 to 16 feet the picture is outstanding on most any resolution I feed it. Scaling was a critical issue for me, the Sony and Oppo passes all of these tests with flying colors.

YMMV. Everyone "sees" these machines differently and have different uses. I use mine for TV (sports), DVD, and BR as well as an array of internet based video. No gaming. I have issues with plasma in most situations....I am sensitive to phosphor trailing that plasma exhibits, where most don't seem to have a problem with this. That's one example of a flaw that a percentage of people are sensitive to, there are others too.

I suggest AVS forum for a complete "taking apart" of the various models, there's lots to learn if you are curious......but be careful as it can be overload too[:D] Sometimes overly picky, and sometimes too much info to consume in less than a month, but will help you pick through your considered choices.

While the best efforts in plasma and LED actually were happening a few years ago, the midline is MUCH better now, in a 55" you can get some really nice displays in the $1500-2000 area - and these are "higher end" displays that shred what was happening at that price 4 years ago. Panny, Samsung, LG and Sony all have good offerings.

Yeahhhhh.....I seem to recall you were from my area (Moliner here). I got mine at Best Buy.....had it ordered from the Magnolia line and they delivered it inside of a week. They had an in store only sale over Veteran's Day weekend where I got it for $1799 ($100 off the usual discount price of $1899).

I took the Best Buy calibration service along with the deal, and while I was a bit nervous about what level of expertise that tech would supply, he turned out to be VERY knowledgeable (and his calibration bears out on my reference test discs, as well as being very noticeable visually). Dare I say he was the most knowledgeable person in his field I have ever met at that company. I have his info too, so I can contact him if I need to.

You're more than welcome to have a look at mine....I'm running an Oppo 93 BR and Mediacom cable on this and it does look quite good. PM me if necessary.....

Years ago I had a SonyTrinitron that was new and all blue---a very lot blue. All the colors were blue and the black and white was blue.The Best Buy repair man came out and said that it was supposed to be blue and white on the black and white. I ordered the Sony manual and got into the hardcore calibration (not the menu) and adjusted things untill the picture was OK. You need the special code for the internal calibration. The repairman did nothing and would not do anything to fix the set. If I ever have a set to be repaired it will go by by. So far the Sony XBR's have been OK.

JJK