Economic Survey - what's your observations?

artto

My guess is that if Conservatives actually thought what you posit the Space Program would be funded to the degree you would like

Rather strange, is it not? 5 to 1 is by far the most conservative estimate and yet, as you suggest, the "conservatives" share precisely the same attitude as the liberals on it.

Not much I can add either, tdk. it's a complete mystery to me.

Starving to death in a grocery store, we are.

Dave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel we are a second class power, yet remember the last time we were respected as you suggest and it was on September 10, 2001...Afterward the World was on pins and needles to see how we were going to respond.

Military power doesn't breed respect, it breeds fear. "Respect" is what you get when one of your people is watched by the entire world and says "...and one giant leap for MANKIND."

That's leadership. Leadership is also when you are pulled into a war kicking and screaming...

I agree with the above comments completely...Imagine if we didn't invade Iraq and the POTUSA articulated a policy, where after we had the World on our side (which we did) in getting Bin Laden and Al Qaeda in the Afganistan/Pakistan region, we became the leader in a strategy that addressed Terrorism that crossed Borders...I contend it could've happened because of our military dominance (by NOT using it in a haphazard way) and we would have the hero that you are looking for...Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Rather strange, is it not? 5 to 1 is by far the most conservative estimate and yet, as you suggest, the "conservatives" share precisely the same attitude as the liberals on it.

I don't think it's strange and if your numbers are correct you will see the private sector or another country step up....If it becomes a successful venture by anyone mentioned in our lifetime I am sure you will post a link to their success. [8-|]

I think the government should find some green companies, give them $500,000,000 of taxpayers money and then they can hire lots of people and we won't need that nasty old oil.I'm sure that's something we can all get behind.

Edit....sorry, somebody else aready tried that and the company filed bankruptcy, bonuses still passed out.

Exactly fish. And it's not just because a government loan was involved. In every case when the firm fails bonuses keep getting handed out. Probably with favorable tax treatment. The rest of us actually work for a living and for far less. I've said more than once as Dave said we get the government we deserve, but at this point I think there is something way worse than just that. There is a systemic stench that no matter who is voted in to elected positions, no matter how good their ideas and intentions start out, that big money doesn't corrupt in one way or another. Mere voting is not enough anymore if it ever has been in the past. The Citizens United decision to me represents nothing less than a confirmation of the systemic problem and a severe misinterpretation of not only the constitution but even of the intent of its framers, and could even be considered a salvo of revolution (of an elite power grab). We all may as well decide which side we are on.

I don't think it's strange and if your numbers are correct you will see the private sector or another country step up....

As to "other countries," China has declared intent to land on the moon by 2020. And they will...and they won't just raise the flag and go home. They'll come back for the goodies. The once famous "yankee trader" has a new home. Would you believe there was a time when our export to import ratio was the envy of the world?

As to the private sector, the amount of investment in manned spacecraft is absolutely mindboggling. However, given that we sort of took a 30 year break, it's a bit like trying to pick up the digging of the Panama Canal about half way through with picks and shovels. Establishing a beachhead in space requires a national will, like the Canal, after that, the private sector will handle the load nicely.

Like I saId, the proof "thar's gold out thar!" is in SpacEx, Rutan, and all the others who are raising and expending capital as though they were manning shovels to complete the Canal.

Dave

i just realized how we can fix the economy. Perpetual elections. Seems that every time elections roll around, the economic forecast gets brighter. Suddenly, more jobs are found, consumer confidence grows by leaps, our politicians have all the answers. There must be some correlation...couldn't be a ploy just to get votes.

Thanks, Brian. I keep up with Rutan's bunch, Ad Astra, Boeing, Sierra Nevada, SpaceX, and even the Icarus Society which expects to launch a mission to a settleable exoplanet by NLT 2161.

All these are credible projects in development, with a couple of the LEO ships expected to be test flown in 2014.

Actually, from my funk about no NASA program I've recovered and am amazed at the private money being spent...seems like these folks have figured out "they's gold out thar..."

Dave

i just realized how we can fix the economy. Perpetual elections.

There's some truth to that. During elections billions of dollars are drawn out of the accounts of the super-rich, and pushed into TV stations, radio stations, newspapers, PR flaks, advertising shops, event planners, office rental firms, office supplies, donuts and coffee, printing shops, tee-shirt shops, goofy hat shops, rental cars, busses, airplanes, strippers, liquor stores, rent-a-cop shops, bunting manufacturers, and the list is pretty long. That's all GDP stuff.

I'm shocked that I'm even saying this.... I know some of this is out in "right field, " however when you look at economic survival and the U.S., perhaps, look to Ron Paul... There... I said it... geeezz...