Funeral today.........

lo123

My mother passed away this weekend, today was the funeral. She was 90 years old and would have been 91 in a couple of weeks. That's a lot of years.

I've been reflecting on the various stories she told over the years, sometimes they were "repeats" as the onset of dementia and Alzheimers progressed. What I would give for one of those stories now, repeat or not. As her care needs gradually exceeded our ability to safely meet her needs, Mom required nursing home care. Seeing someone you love realizing that her sunset is turning to night is difficult, especially as their perception changes from week to week. Mom became a joyful presence to her fellow "residents", as her days counted down. She is greatly missed.

We are fortunate to have a pastor as a family member, father-in law of one of my children and a close family friend. After the evening visitation last night, he asked if he could borrow Mom's Bible overnight and see if she had marked any passages or used it to store any special cards, notes, etc. It was a treasure trove of insight into her spiritual journey and provided the basic outline of his message at today's service. Faith in God, firm hope for life everlasting thru Jesus the Lord, basic truths which cannot be shaken. Quite a moving service. Hearts were touched. Mom's work to help and reach out to her family and beyond her family, continues. We are truly blessed.

Tonight I am listening to the on-line stream of what used to be the St. Louis classical music station, KFUO-99.1 FM. The link is below. This week focuses on pieces for the Easter season, however, the music is always good. I have Forte's down in my very rough basement "man space". The basement is not finished so can't really call it a man cave. Drive them with a 100 Watt Onkyo receiver from a thrift store find a couple years ago. These are Wuzzer's Forte's. They cook. But tonight, the computer 2.1 Pro-media system seems quite sufficient to close out the day with classic music of the season, memories and hope for the future. Link below. Enjoy and God Bless.

http://www.classic99.com/

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my mother 4 years ago and she is still with me in my daily thoughts and actions. May the comfort of friends and family help you through this difficult time... Boxx

Thanks for sharing this with us. You are truly blessed to have your Mom with you for so long. My Mom passed away last November at the age of 79. So, I have an idea of what you're going through. My Mom taught me years ago to celebrate the life lived, not mourn the death. It was/is sad to lose my Mom, but she left me with so much to celebrate, I've been busy doing that!

My deepest condolences for your loss and may she Rest In Peace. I agree with Boxx, stay close to friends and family to help you get though this difficult time.

God Bless,

Dennie

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have no words to say that might comfort, for I am not very good with expressing emotion with a key pad.

I hope the music helps, it's always brought me comfort.

Your story reminds me a of a beautiful song by Mark Kozelek called Ruth Maire, if you ever have a chance to hear it you'll understand.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your loved ones.

Sterling

I lost my believing mother to early onset Alzheimer's (and cancer) several years ago. Now, I have my 88 and 90 year old in-laws living with us, as I watch my mother-in-law slide deeper into senile dementia. It's hard to watch (and participate in). But we do not hope in vain.

"May the faithful departed rest in Light Eternal."

Larry, you and your family are in my prayers this Holy Week and Eastertide.

Thanks to everyone for the comforting thoughts, I really do very much appreciate them. Though I have met only a few on this forum in person, over the years, I feel a connection that is hard to describe, to some extent from reading of your life experiences such as my own. As an electrical engineer, I get a kick out of reading about mods to amps and speakers, drool over pics of amazing equipment, and enjoy my own systems as I find time (and as my wife lets me! Wuzzer, the Fortes are under the kitchen, so there are times when playing them is not a good thing, they don't understand "low volume" very well......). It's all fun, but it's not important. Peace to all this Easter week as we reflect on that.. He is risen.

I and my family exctend our sympathy and condolences. We too during the 2 years have experienced the loss of the grandpa's and grandma's; all of which had a full and rewarding life. I am confident those will be the great memories that you will be able to cherish and appreciate as you and your family go forward.