son almost shot by 6 cops

Guest " "

Im so pissed. My son was walking out of his apt building in santa monica with a empty bottle of shampoo in his hand headed for the store across the street....6 cops draw their guns and say put the gun down or we will shoot. My son was arrested on a gun charge, He called me....I called my brother in law who is a cpt in the NY state police, I cal my brother who is a major in the NJ corrections system...they both use their liaison connection and get this cleared up. Case of mistaken identity ........hours later ....the real gun flashing public menace get apprehended flashing a pistol. Any one of the six cops could have pull the trigger and have said they thought they saw a gun. Moral of the story.....make sure your love ones know who they can call in case they get caught in these types of sand traps.

Father of the year award goes to............Speakerfritz[:D]!!!!!.........Nice to know your son is alright, and home safe after that. Never fun being shaken up like that for no reason. Me and a friend once got ambushed by 4 cops with guns drawn. Then thrown to the ground, handcuffed(violently) and thrown in the back of a squad car. They thought we raped a girl. It had just happened minutes before so they brought her by in another squad car to I.D. us. All they said was a quick sorry and took off. Nothing like having 6 cops with guns drawn in your face outside your apt, then being arrested with a weapons charge and booked.....Way to go Speakerfritz!!!!

You're very lucky they didn't kill him.

In Downey California police (with a submachine gun) shot and killed an unarmed man, actually shooting him in the back.

(he was shot with an MP5 submachine gun, the
same gun used by the Navy Seals)

It happened on October 12, 2011. His killer is still on the police force, working, and getting paid.

Downey Police Chief Rick Esteves released a statement saying, “Our
police department understands the loss of human life is extremely tragic
under any circumstance. We sincerely offer our condolences to the
family and friends of Mr. Nida.”

The trial for the killing has been set for May 7, 2013 in Los Angles Federal Court.

The dead man did not have a weapon, was not involved in a crime, was not on probation or parole, was not a gang member, and he wasn't safe from the people that were supposed to be protecting him.

“They shot him two times in the back, once in the chest, once in the
shoulder, once in the wrist — five times for a person who had no
weapon,”

The dead man was buying gas with his wife, the police said that he turned toward police “in an aggressive manner.”

Of course in Anaheim (body count at three last week alone)..... A planned protest about the killings had a police dog attacking women and children with 24 arrests (including four juveniles). Charges included assault, failure to disperse, and resisting
arrest. Police claimed the dog attack was "accidental", and that they had no choice but to shoot the crowd with non-lethal bullets.

You might be safe whenever you see a police office if you throw yourself on the ground and spread-out face-down (or you might not be safe, kind of hard to tell).

I could tell you horror stories about police in small-town Iowa going back 30 years and more, but I need to eat dinner soon. I guess I should count myself lucky that I don't live in southern California any more?

The police are more like the gestapo in more places than we like to think.

Bruce

I the problem (most of the time) is about individuals, rather than police depts. More emphasis should be placed on vetting officers. Up here in British Columbia we are having our own issues with the RCMP, I don't believe their reputation has ever been lower. Yeah they still "Always get their man", but the way they go about it is sometimes questionable, and stories about personal behaviour that would get any of us on the un-employment line, simply gets them shipped from whatever Province they currently working in to BC. Seems we are a dumping ground for bad cops.

Cops and Firemen both live for the Adrenilin rush they get from these types of situations. When they are in a group, it is much worse and "many" times they go way over the line of equal treatment of any suspect. I have several acquaintences that are in Law Enforcement and the "RUSH" is a High for them. Can make for some very dangerous situations.

Mike: I am glad that your son is OK ,as I am sure that he had the hell scared out of him, for absolutely NO reason. You would think, if they were that close to him, that they could tell the difference between a "Bottle" and a gun.

Im so pissed. My son was walking out of his apt building in santa monica with a empty bottle of shampoo in his hand headed for the store across the street....6 cops draw their guns and say put the gun down or we will shoot. My son was arrested on a gun charge....

I'm glad your son is alright but why did he have an empty bottle of shampoo in his hands and how could he be arrested on a gun charge if he didn't have a gun? [^o)]

Cops and Firemen both live for the Adrenilin rush they get from these types of situations....I have several acquaintences that are in Law Enforcement and the "RUSH" is a High for them. Can make for some very dangerous situations.

Not to mention that they also get in the middle of dangerous situations protecting citizens. [:S]

That said, I have always thought that a considerable number of Police (as well as Combat Veterans) get addicted to the rush, but that's the nature of the occupation. Otoh, if the criminals and enemy are the only ones psyched, how dangerous would that situation be for the few people who would want those jobs and the rest of us?

the problem (most of the time) is about individuals, rather than police depts. More emphasis should be placed on vetting officers.

Wow, that gives police depts and leadership a giant pass and excuse for THEIR failures (along with the individuals). The tone is set at the top, and its their responsibility to make it stick. I wish multi-dollar awards had more effect. I guess those won't stop very soon.

Police leadership is really rotten in places!

Police leadership is really rotten in places!

I blame the War on Drugs (for the most part). I am not "pro drugs," but if we took the crime out of possession, then the emphasis could be placed elsewhere...It really strikes me how many family members of people who get busted are affected (not to mention the ones who get popped)...In this scenario, it's easy to see why so many people don't like the police and if the dynamic were different, my guess is a considerable number wouldn't be so "anti-police."

I blame the War on Drugs (for the most part). I am not "pro drugs," but if we took the crime out of possession, then the emphasis could be placed elsewhere...It really strikes me how many family members of people who get busted are affected (not to mention the ones who get popped)...

I also blame the WOD for a lot, but that only means that police management and leadership responsibilities are all the greater. That view only shifts blame away from the police. "Gee, I'm sorry we shot your son, but we gotta do this big war on drugs, you know..."

geez, what a "great" story, thank goodness he is OK, thank goodness, you have connections!

And now for the jokes:

was he wearing a hoodie?

Next tell him to stand closer to the police officer so they can Tazer him

Wait a minute. British police don't carry guns, why do ours?

I'm glad your son is alright but why did he have an empty bottle of shampoo in his hands and how could he be arrested on a gun charge if he didn't have a gun?

He was arrested because he fit the description of an earlier reported person seen flashing a pistol. Witnesses were brought in and identified him in a line up. So he was charged. Meanwhile the real perpetrator continued at large and continued to be seen flashing a pistol. Eventually the real perpetuator was apprehended with the pistol in his possession.