The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

We watched it last week... Audio/video is awesome, and the subs go loud and deep!

Some of the pulse waves is the movie are off the hook.  Did you see Godzilla, it has some excellent pulse waves to tingle your eardrums.  TAOE is a bass flick like Tron Legacy but with more continuous bass.  If you like loud then it has it.  The movie need a bit more dynamic range for me.  I would like to see a graph to see how much clipping was in the movie.

Yup, we watched Godzilla in Dolby Atmos (air), and then I purchased it on BR.

2001 A Space Odyssey

How well did the sound track play?

(Hope this font is O.K. --I'm pasting because all of a sudden the forum won't let me type!)

Sorry to say, either the original music elements have been damaged, or they made the Blu-ray from a damaged mix.  I hope there is an undamaged one in the archives somewhere.  The timpani in Zarathustra are slightly distorted all three times Z is used.  The other music is not quite as luminously clear and big sounding as it used to be. 

People who did not hear the original (70mm/6 track, or the re-release 70mm/6track, or even the first VHS HiFi) may not notice, and think "it's just an old movie."

I don't know what could have caused this, unless exposure to a magnetic field can cause distortion of this kind.  Yes, other vintage soundtracks (Lawrence of Arabia) sound fine on my system, and the new ones are fantastic.

The picture quality, on the other hand is gorgeous, even on our 130" wide screen.

Well finally watched the new transformers tonight. Missed original cast but in a wahlberg fan so it was good. Video was good half the movie. The Michael bay grain filter pisses me off now that my screen is my whole wall. The sound to me was top notch in my setup. Thought it was done really well.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow just to see the what all the talk was about.  The movie starts with a very nasty sine wave that sets the tone for the rest of the show.  It is a decent rental but, not as good as Obivion, with Tom Cruise.  I starte the movie 5 below deference to make sure I would not bottom out a driver.  Then I started out the movie a 2nd time at reference to fully enjoy the opening. :)

I watched Edge of Tomorrow just to see the what all the talk was about.  The movie starts with a very nasty sine wave that sets the tone for the rest of the show.  It is a decent rental but, not as good as Obivion, with Tom Cruise.  I starte the movie 5 below deference to make sure I would not bottom out a driver.  Then I started out the movie a 2nd time at reference to fully enjoy the opening. :)

That opening is a bit alarming, I have never heard that much output from my F20s. I wonder how many subs it as killed.

Good flick.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow just to see the what all the talk was about. The movie starts with a very nasty sine wave that sets the tone for the rest of the show. It is a decent rental but, not as good as Obivion, with Tom Cruise. I starte the movie 5 below deference to make sure I would not bottom out a driver. Then I started out the movie a 2nd time at reference to fully enjoy the opening. :)

That opening is a bit alarming, I have never heard that much output from my F20s. I wonder how many subs it as killed.

Good flick.

many. There is a whole thread about it on Avs. Lol. Poor subwoofers.
  • Like 1

Spent the evening alone last night; no wife or teenagers in the house. So I went to a concert in my HT room.

A few tracks of Diana Krall's Live in Paris with great improvs and drums, Ariane Moffatt à la Station C with her great use of surround reverb on Grand cerf-volant, on to Norah Jones Live in New Orleans with again very well recorded drums, and finished with Michael Kaeshammer's KAESHAMMERLIVE with an incredibly well recorded concert with again fantastic drums. Unfortunately not a Bluray among them! Some video in 4x3 format as well! But great music. I would buy them all over again in Bluray.

If you like that type of jazz and don't know of Michael Kaeshammer, check him out:

Good flick.

It bottomed out on of my DTS-10's. I think it's pretty stupid for the mixing engineer to do this infrasonic overload like that. I have operated my Danleys without the recommended highpass filter at about 12 Hz for Godzilla, the Flight of the Phoenix plane crash, Tron, etc. without any trouble at all near reference volume (where stuff vibrates in the next room). But the nasty sound they made was not a happy one at the beginning of this movie. They subs are fine, but that is frikkin ridiculous and not funny for an idiot to do that to us. Totally unnecessary for the movie's impact. Shame on that guy who did that. thank goodness my level was 10 db lower than normal, otherwise I might be replacing drivers to the tune of $360 each time four. Jerk. I would fly to L.A. and personally kick his a$$ over that crap.

It's like hey, let me try and fry everyone's subwoofer just for fun. I'm still mad about it, can you tell?

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

It is a cool effect, just too loud. If it had been at half the volume we would all be good. Dynamic contrast is good, this was stupid and out of context. Apparently it is not in the theater version.

They would probably get sued if they put it in the theater version.