Our first family stereo when I was a wee tot....

Mighty Favog

My family's first stereo was my sister and I at each end of the room with kazoos...when we started walking around, it was called sound effects.

Actually we did have something my dad picked up in mid-1950's Germany while we were stationed there...I still have it...a Grundig Majestic radio...WITH an outboard turntable changer, WITH its original 45 rpm changer adapter included. You just HAD to love the bakelite cabinet with gold pin-striping! Purty fancy stuff, huh?

post-9310-13819823214564_thumb.jpg

Mine -- the Webcor Musicale:

2740459238_0bca2a6677_o.jpg

It had great sound for its time (mid-1950's), my college music source! A larger speaker on each side as well as the smaller one in front, so it had a nice sound surround. Mono only, of course. The "tone" control was bass attenuation only, so the player sounded flattest and clearest if that control was turned all the way up.

Note the GE VR-II MAGNETIC cartridge, for sound quality unique in this genre.

Had cheap counsels wen I was really young, then my stepfater bought a syatem in the 1970's with a sweet pair of Bose 601's and a Scott receiver. These were awesome (when I was 10) and I did my best to blow them up. Who designs speakers with the drivers pointed at the wall? Oh well, I had fun with them.

I finally bought some JBL L60's wen I was 19 and learned that speakers could do something called imaging and have frequency response.

I also bought an Emerson boom box when I was 11. It was $100 and I was shocked that I had to come up with another $7 for tax. My father got mad at me for wasting my money. Maybe he was right, the volume pot is scratchy and I still use it in the garage, so I have only gotten 33 years of use out of it so far.

post-10861-13819823214854_thumb.jpg

Telefunken Console (early 60's) with full tube radio all bands reel to reel and phono stereowith three way speakers woofers cone mids and electrostatic tweeters it was something else. My mum and dad got dressed up one Saturday morning and came back with a pickup truck in tow with two large young soldiers. The two young giuys carried this huge console down into our family rec room and left. It was amazing, I was maybe ten or eleven at the time. Best regards Moray James.

PS: prior to this we had a beautiful (to me) tabletop Philco tube radio which was a great radio and had very nice tone, I spent hours listening to that. I saw one a few years back in great condition. I would love to have one rebuilt and restored it was a handsom piece. These two pieces set the mold for me and for what a stereo should do.

post-46582-13819823216094_thumb.jpg

We had a Sears Silvertone record player for years, but it was mono. Our family's first stereo came around 1967 in the form of a Panasonic RE-7070 - 8 Track AM FM Stereo that dad bought at a local drugstore. I eventually made a pair of 8 in, infinite-baffle, extension speakers for it to place in my bedroom. The little guy served us well for years until I entered the Navy. -Glenn

post-10177-13819823216564_thumb.jpg

.... Our family's first stereo came around 1967 in the form of a Panasonic RE-7070 - 8 Track AM FM Stereo . . .

I personally had a Panasonic that looked just like that as a teenager. I'm not sure about the model number though.

The first Stereo my family had was made by Columbia. We probably got it sometime around 1960ish. It was two large matching cabinets, I would say about 26" wide by 36" tall by 18" deep. The cabinet tops hinged open, one cabinet had the turntable inside and the controls, the other cabinet had storage for records in the top. The cabinet with the turntable had a tube amp mounted at the bottom near the floor. Both cabinets were open at the back, and each had about 5 or 6 speakers mounted on the front baffle. The largest was probably about a 12". In the period from about 1964 to 1970 all the kids in the neighborhood used to come over to my house to listen whenever a new and exciting album came out. Most memorable was "Are You Experienced?". It seems that my parents weren't home when someone brought that over.. I'm sure the neighbors heard it too . . . [6]

I wish I could find a picture of that old Columbia . . .

harmon_kardon_sr-900.jpg

HK SR900, circa 1963

ev-six.JPG

EV SIX, circa 1963. 30hz~20Khz (with a T35!), 96dB, 4-way with 18" + 8" + 4x10 mid-horn + T35. Cherry, with cane grills, about the size of a Belle.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/E-V%20Six%20EDS.pdf

hk730c.jpg

HK 730, circa 1978. The old SR900 was getting tired. The king is dead, long live the new king!

Speakers and new(er) receiver still going strong.

DUAL-C.jpg

Dual 1009, circa 1963. Originally with an Empire, now with a Shure SC35 broadcast cart with 78 RPM stylus. I bought them a newer Dual with a Shure V15, think it was the direct drive 731, have to go take a look see.

6718576351_8af88b7c78_b.jpg

Magnavox FD1040, circa 1985. I did some mods on this and it sounds better than some current players.

DUAL-C.jpg

Dual 1009, circa 1963. Originally with an Empire, now with a Shure SC35 broadcast cart with 78 RPM stylus. I bought them a newer Dual with a Shure V15, think it was the direct drive 731, have to go take a look see.

The was (and still is) an excellent turntable. It is very collectable and still used by many audiophiles.....

• Moderators

Or first was just a little table top model, later a console. I first thing I remember ever listening to was that little table top model with my dad, he would listen to boxing on the radio, sometimes football.

I do remember the first time I heard a FM broadcast, FM stereo, it really was a big improvement. [Y]

My dad had a Fisher 400 (I still have it and will get around to having it gone through one of these days. It is minty cosmetically), Dual turntable(replaced with Pioneer PL12 mid 70s), and KLH speakers (replaced with JBL L40s mid 70s). He always let me use it from a very young age.