Biggest audio regret?

DizRotus

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>I wonder what a Case of 2A3 RCA Single Plates would have cost in 1968 ?

I should have bought a couple!

I think you could still get'em at a 7-11 in those days. Seriously. That's where everyone went to test their TV and radio tubes. They carried all the most common.

Dave

many years of unprotected hearing

I'll have to agree with this as well. Me and two of my local friends who lived in my community used to install car stereos for all of our other friends. It resulted in our crowning achievement, my best friends Ford explorer receiving 2 15's with a 2000 watt mono block for each speaker. And another 1000 watts to the rest of the system. Which is like putting 5000 watts, six 6 1/2's, and two 15's in a walk-in closet, and turning it up way too loud......all the time. Seeing as it had a weapons grade system. It was the car we would drive 95% of the time.

He actually called me one day and left a message on my machine."Dude go to the salvation army, go right now dude,... go freaking......RIGHT NOW!!!! My mom just gave them our entire collection of records, dude go right now, call me when you get back"..... That was the message he left. His mom had and argument with his stepfather and in a fit of anger took the one thing she new would really p$$$ him off.......His record collection. She just gave it to them...........That record collection introduced me to Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Zeppelin, do I have to go on...........That was the record collection that changed my life....[8].... She was mad one day and just gave it away. Needless to say by the time I got the message and went speeding down to the Salvation-army it was completely gone. I asked the manager just hoping it was in the back or something and they were cataloging it before sale. The manager said when a big collection comes in like that , she has people she calls that... "collect".............It.... was... gone.. Oh it still hurts...[:(]

• Moderators

My biggest audio regret is too many years of unprotected hearing

I have to agree with Mr hendrix and others, shipbuilding and offshore electrical work did most of the damage for me, back then all anyone thought about was eye protection and steel toe boots and a hard hat. It was all that was required, and being young and indestructible/dumb used no hearing protection.

As far as equipment goes it would be that I gave a "supposedly" future brother in law a few things, never seeing him again. [:S] At least he didn't marry my sister in law, which was also good for him. [:P]

I gave him a Sansui 8080 , Akai 10" RTR, two turntables, nothing great, a Yamaha and an a Technics and my LP and tape collection. I was switching to a brand new format, CD's, he was supposed to get me a CD player, never seen that either. [:(]

My biggest audio regret was selling my AC Delco car stereo that I had bought brand new. It was housed in my '87 Buick Grand National.

Ouch. Nuttin' in the world I could spend more money on than automobiles.

Oddly enough, there was a guy many years back who was cleaning up in the car audio world with a Grand National. He custom designed some horns as I recall and installed them under the dash. Nobody else even came close to matching his SQ.

His mom had and argument with his stepfather and in a fit of anger took the one thing she new would really p$$$ him off.......His record collection. She just gave it to them...........That record collection introduced me to Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Zeppelin, do I have to go on...........That was the record collection that changed my life....Music.... She was mad one day and just gave it away. Needless to say by the time I got the message and went speeding down to the Salvation-army it was completely gone. I asked the manager just hoping it was in the back or something and they were cataloging it before sale. The manager said when a big collection comes in like that , she has people she calls that... "collect".............It.... was... gone.. Oh it still hurts...Sad

I'm not a violent man, especially towards women, but that's grounds for REDRUM.

I'm not a violent man, especially towards women, but that's grounds for REDRUM.

Yeah, we didn't see his stepdad for a few months after that. He was a really cool guy. He was definitely hurt....Hell.....We were all hurt, and we were all mad at her for quite awhile after that. It was quite depressing even though it wasn't my collection.

Selling my first serious amplifiers - 2 pairs of Marantz 2s, along with 2 Marantz 1s with power supplies and Model 6 sidecar. I needed money and everyone was telling me the amps were eventually going to need parts no one could find. The preamps looked and acted new. I nearly tripled my money (I paid $60 for each amp, and $120 for the preamps) and my other amp, an Audio Research D-75, did seem to sound better. Still, it's like your first car or your first sweetheart ...

My boss's father had a pair of Electro Voice Sixes which were his pride and joy, and which were handed down to my boss. When he split from his wife, she held on to the speakers and would periodically taunt him about them. Finally, one afternoon around four, she called him and said she had put the speakers out with the trash, and he could have them if he could beat the collection. He came into my office, said he couldn't get free (the speakers were an hour away) and said I could have them if I wanted them.

Well! I'm told you could barely see the blur as I ran down the steps and into the parking lot. I had to stop and call back to get directions. When I got to the address, no one was home except an unpleasant yappy dog who got very excited and began knocking things over in the house. (my boss liked hearing that part.) I walked around the house until I found the speakers tucked behind the porch along with the garbage cans and a sack of leaves.

I spent the next twenty minutes trying to get both speakers into the noble Pontiac. I soon got the feeling my efforts were being studied. Sure enough, I spotted some old guy in a green pickup watching me in his rear veiw mirror. As I finally got the geometry right and closed the hatch with both speakers safely inside, he got a disgusted look on his face, started his truck, and drove away.

This isn't really a regret story, except maybe for the guy in the truck, but it seems to fit.

Here is my story. My biggest audio regret is deciding to purchase a stereo(yamaha cr1020 receiver, Yamaha turntable and large Advent

speakers) instead of buying a property in Maine which included a large acreage and hunting cabin(same price). Great stereo but

short sited investment. Ah to be young and stupid again...

So true!

My biggest audio regret is too many years of unprotected hearing of lawn mowers, power tools, guns, motorcycles, flying airplanes and mixing sound for bands without a pair of these:

So true!

On another note, I'm once again looking for a power amp and wish I had my favorite one I sold years ago, a Pass Labs Aleph 30, and now I need an amp and can't afford one.

selling Wright 2a3's

selling SE-OTL's built by Erik Mandaville

selling Will Vincent Mark III's

selling two HF-81's

selling Peach

selling Merlin

selling HDBRBUILDER built oak LaScalas

selling Khorns

don't beat myself up about any of this. had decided i couldn't keep a closet full of gear and couldn't keep speakers if there wasn't floorspace available in my current quarters. that's all pretty clear. just have never forgotten the sweet sounds of music with various pieces of gear. some of my remembering these lovely pieces has to do with some serious work done by good friends and some of my own work.

real regrets are something else. try to live with few of these as possible.

one piece of gear i don't regret selling was a Cary Rocket 88 power amp. was never impressed with the sound of that amplifier, though my wife liked the way it looked. She called it "the city of lights."

selling Wright 2a3's

selling SE-OTL's built by Erik Mandaville

selling Will Vincent Mark III's

selling two HF-81's

selling Peach

selling Merlin

selling HDBRBUILDER built oak LaScalas

selling Khorns

don't beat myself up about any of this. had decided i couldn't keep a closet full of gear and couldn't keep speakers if there wasn't floorspace available in my current quarters. that's all pretty clear. just have never forgotten the sweet sounds of music with various pieces of gear. some of my remembering these lovely pieces has to do with some serious work done by good friends and some of my own work.

real regrets are something else. try to live with few of these as possible.

Would love to hear some Wirght's. Chances are getting slimmer since he's gone. Wow! Two HF-81s. I'll be keeping my Merlin, for sure. I really like it better than the BBX that I had.

For me, perhaps...

Selling my '65 D-28 for $350

There's other guitars I also wish I had kept...

Bruce

Bruce. yeh bro. Hope you get to hear some Wrights. Really neat amps.

Glad you are keeping your Merlin. I miss it more than the Peach. Sweet little brick, it is!

Did you have a chance to look at the Tode guitar amp on bottlehead.com? They've got some nice demos on video, too.

Back in my studio days I was very good about ear plugs or at least Koss Pro4AA headphones to protect my ears, but didn't give it much thought while cutting the particle board building the studio.

What I wonder about though is the direction I took starting out in HiFi. It could have EASILY gone either way, low efficiency speakers and big SS amps, or high efficiency speakers and tubes. I bought a pair of DQ10's and a Sansui 9090, with the flip of a coin could have been Altec 604E and Mac 275. Hard to say exactly where the other path might have led, but its a sure guess it would have been different.