HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

I just returned last night from visiting Wake and his family. I took 6 of my graduating seniors and my family of 6 for the weekend. We had a blast wakeboarding, tubing, cliff jumping and hanging out at Little River Canyon. It's always a joy to hang out with a friend that has over the years, become my brother.

I just wanted to comment how amazing his front wall looks in person. First off, the 130" screen is absolutely HUGE and looks fantastic in his room! The stone work and wood work on the front wall adds a very elegant touch to his HT. With the center directly behind the AT screen, the dialog is perfectly anchored to the screen. He and I were both concerned that the Silver over White Spandex might reduce the brightness too much but with his new Epson, brightness was not a problem at all. I know firsthand that when I do decide to move to an AT screen, I'll be using the Spandex as well. The masking system....man what a sweet, sweet touch to the HT experience. It's just cool when the movie starts, the masking moves into place. The "Gray" bars become jet black and totally disappear. The masking makes you think that the screen is exactly the size of the image.

Our stay was only for 2 days so we only were able to demo a few scenes from The Art of Flight. The colors were drop dead georgeous! Very vivid, rich and detailed. I would also like to say that I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the sound from the RF-3ii's. I really don't remember them sounding that great but they did. I guess as long as you have a sub that can handle the lower end, the RF-3ii's definitely have great potential for HT. He had not had a chance to calibrate his speakers so the sub was super hot (we backed it down by ear). Once we did that, man, what a treat.

Shaun, I just wanted to say publicly that your HT is absolutely amazing. It's pretty awesome to think you saw my HT in person and said, "I can build one of these at my house" and then you did! You are incredibly talented and have craftsman skills that I only dream of having. You have built with your own hands a HT that anyone would be absolutely thrilled to have in their home.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit together and look forward to the next visit to see the rest of the details finished and hopefully.....by then I will have found a great deal on an RC-7 for you and I'll be bringing it with me. Wink

Kind words from a fantastic best friend. Thanks Bro.

I am overdo to post some pics for the group. I just grabed the camera and took a few snaps before walking out the door today. I need to take the time to get good pics....but I am already a week behind.

The front colums are held in place by magnetic cabinet latches to make for easy access to the masking if I ever need it.

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6492.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

I still need to trim the rack, build the wooden air grate, and walnut faceplates.

IMG_6635a.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

Great review Youth! That's great! I'm intrigued about this screen process now. I'll have to dig deeper when the time comes!

I could not be happier with my screen. Silver Spandex over White. Screen tight from Lowe's worked great. 3 yards of spandex is enough for 130" at 16:9 and no more. If you have a bright projector go for it! You will not be disappointed. Ambient light still affects it some, but not as much as my white screen which will be great for football parties. The center sounds great behind it. What more do you need to know? If you use the screen tight and you don't like the spandex....(Highly unlikely) you can always spend 4 or 5 times as much and upgrade fabric easily later. Stop digging and start building that AT screen. ;)

I received a PM asking for total cost of the screen so I thought I would put it public:

6409 Moleskin Matte (Silver) $12.00 3.0 $36.00
977 Moleskin Matte (White) $12.00 3.0 $36.00
Product Cost: 72.00
Shipping Cost: 14.10
Grand Total: $86.1
Item# Name Price Yards Total
www.spandexworld.com

Screen Tight with spline (Lowe's): $31.94
Qty 2: 1x4x10 - already had
Qty 2: 1x4x8 - already had
Qty 2: 1x2x8 (bracing) - already had

Lumber prices vary so much across the country it is probably useless to post anyway. The quality of the wood will make a big difference in cost.
$20-$40 in lumber depending on those factors.

Screws and washers: $8.00 approx (already had)

Total cost $146-$166 for everything plus mounting hardware if you have no supplies on hand.
I built brackets out of scrap metal in my shop.

My out of pocket: $118.04

You could skip the screen tight, but I would recommend against it.
It really is worth the extra, and if you ever need to change fabric due to damage or upgrade it would be very easy.

Wow! Great job Wake. Looks fantastic!

Looks absolutely fantastic. Nice job on the finish and trim.

That woodwork is Beautiful

Thanks! For my first cabinets I am proud of how they turned out. I still need to build the raised panel doors and get some better pics.
I just need to take a tripod in there. The flash ruins the contrast of the stone.

• Moderators

And to put it into perspective, I paid around $550 for my 103" non-transparent Elite screen and Elite was near the low end of the screens. Carada, Seymour will run you even higher. Absolutely an amazing cost to value in the Spandex AT DIY Screen.

• 1 month later...

Looking good, however I recommend you getting all those seats out of there. You will work alot faster with them out, since you wouldn't be sitting around watch movies all the timeWink.

Oh, how very very true.
Since the remodel the room is getting ALOT more use. It is no longer the creepy basement. My Wife enjoys it with the kids even when I am away which hardly ever happened before. We are much more likely to just hang out down there. The kids wanted to have movie night last night, but I had to say "No, I am working on it."

I would love to see someone try to get that 150lb 8ft diameter beanbag out of there in one piece. That would be some feat now that the big hole in the wall is gone.

I started putting up the concrete backer last night. Hope to pick up the stone for the hearth today.

This thread is inspirational and motivating! Great work and great use of your space!

Thanks for the kind words Dave.

I picked up the stone yesterday, but did not have time to do much with it by the time I got back from the stone yard after work.

18" by 36" by 3" thick, and over 100lbs each. I will be getting creative with my 10" tile saw to get these babies cut.

stone_1.jpg

Stone2.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

The the one thing i see as a possible issue is the wood being so close to the screen. Those wood pillars wont absorb the light that comes off the screen. They will reflect light and will light up like xmas lights on bright parts in movies. Do you find it distracting at all? Im sure you don't want to cover the wood but was wondering if you have noticed it. Because i have a small amount of wood to one side and it lights up big time but its far away from the screen so don't really notice it unless i look away from the screen.

The the one thing i see as a possible issue is the wood being so close to the screen. Those wood pillars wont absorb the light that comes off the screen. They will reflect light and will light up like xmas lights on bright parts in movies. Do you find it distracting at all? Im sure you don't want to cover the wood but was wondering if you have noticed it. Because i have a small amount of wood to one side and it lights up big time but its far away from the screen so don't really notice it unless i look away from the screen.

I never notice light off the pillars. The Epson seems to do a great job of keeping stray light down. The front of the pillars is invisible with the lights down. I have never noticed reflections off the sides of the pillars, but they only stick out a couple inches. The only place the light reflected off the screen is noticeable is off the wood above the screen. From the beanbag the angle is sharp enough it is noticable, but not overly distracting. I considered using velvet on that part, but asthetics of the room won.