HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

If it's rated to 10Hz it MAY go a little lower (hopefully).

I've never heard of anyone needing a converter with the EP's due to the pro/consumer switch on back. Not disputing what you've read however as I'm wrong frequently :rolleyes:

I've used a HK receiver and an Anthem pre/pro with my EP and never had a problem. Never owned a line level converter. I posted in the cult frequently as well as read posts obsessively when I built mine. I never recall it being an issue and remember it being "The" amp for IB sub duty.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I'd sprain my right ankle at least once a soccer season in the adult league. After a while, there's really nothing much left in there to keep you from rolling it. I guess every time you sprain it, you tear the tendons slightly making it easier to sprain it next time. I haven't sprained it however in the last few years. My 3'rd knee surgery forced me to quit playing.

Any luck with the 1/4" adapters?

1/4" had the same results as the RCA. The problem is with the line level of the Denon since it is a home audio receiver and output is at -10dB and not at +4dB the EPX4000 expects.

I went into my speaker config and turned down all speakers by 5dB and put my sub out at +6. I also set the amp to mono and used a single cable instead of a rca-y splitter. I turned the amp gains all the way up and finally I had sound. The level was actually pretty close to right. Ended up turning the sub out down a couple dB, but I have not dialed it in perfect yet. The specs on the EP and EPX are the same so I don't see any benefit in a swap at this point. looks like this will work for me. I will run some test with the converter box I already have to see if it sounds better with the converter than without (realizing the 20Hz floor exist.) Samson made a s-convert box, but seems to be discontinued. The one I posted before was a direct box and not what I needed.

Not sure if I am losing anything in the transition from home to pro audio without a converter.

I got most of the hole closed up last night and that helped with the sound quality.

I did notice when running the sub out on the Denon set to "LFE+Main" I get a lot of rumble during movies that is distracting and unnatural.

Setting it to LFE only cleaned it up, but wasn't sure how to dial that in exactly.

Thanks for all the help.

Finally got the build completed! The sound is indescribable...

I am not sure my house could handle another pair of these beast. Clean low bass and as much as you can handle.

I am officially a fan of the IB SUB!

Thanks to all that helped with this one.

IMG_9901a.jpg

IMG_9893%20(2).jpg

IMG_9894%20(2).jpg

IMG_9897%20(2).jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

I would play around with your LFE+main setting. Maybe try some different crossovers or something. But I find subs do a much better job at 80 hz than towers will. Should have a bit more authority. Do you have an eq on that pro amp? Or you just set levels then run audyssey?

• Moderators

I'm just wondering how are you going to dust behind that column? Man Shaun, it was great seeing the subs via FaceTime. You are incredibly gifted. IB Sub looks fantastic. Can't wait till my son and I fly up for a few days of wake boarding. I can't think of a better way to end a long day of wake boarding than hanging out in your HT. I don't have the extra "room" to setup an IB Sub but I'm sure we (ahem you) could build something that would easily trump my RSW-15.

Outstanding! You have a gift. Thanks for the photos.

very nice! congrats

First class as always! Just awesome! Clean. Blends in, but beautiful when one takes the time to look and I'm sure it sounds incredible! I am in awe! Thank you for sharing! Wow!

Wake,

Another masterpiece. :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

You are truly gifted.

Enjoy,

Bill

Thanks guys. I appreciate the complements. I really wish this crew lived close enough to come test it out with me.

I'm just wondering how are you going to dust behind that column?

For every problem there is a solution....

Remove a few screws, and two bolts out of the bottom and you can "extract the core."

It weights about 50 lbs. It is almost completely solid wood.

I took all the circles I cut out of the speaker holes and cut them with a circle jig and the bandsaw.

Felt like I was priming a nuclear device when inserting the column.

photo%20(22).jpg

I don't have the extra "room" to setup an IB Sub but I'm sure we (ahem you) could build something that would easily trump my RSW-15.

I am looking forward to it.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Just to point it out since it has come up so many times.

The column is pretty easy to remove. Everything is predrilled for another pair of subs. If I ever decide to add another pair and with help I could swap it all out and have another pair working in about 30 minutes.

Honestly, my entire house is vibrating and rattling. 4 of these would be pretty sick.

I will spend the next month fixing rattles with a frequency test cd.

By the way the box with column weighs well over 250lb.

Looks like I have a room null...

Dead center of the Theater seating!

Really surprising since I put the subs in the same footprint the old sub sat in. Only difference is 2 ft higher.

I have rigid acoustic panel insulation to make bass traps. Suggestions on how to find propper placement and size welcome.