HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

So the nulls are apparent when plotting it all out.

looks like I have my work cut out for me. Suggestions on taming nulls welcome.

I also see that although the IB goes WAY lower than the Mackie I am nowhere near single digits. I can't help but wonder if the EPX4000 cuts off around 20Hz.

I have found no documentation yet to say so, but I can't figure out why it rolls off so fast.

Seats are labeled for the Theater Sofa Left, Center (middle of the love seat), Right.

Bar is behind the Sofa, 8ft bean bag in the center in front of the sofa.

Frequency%20plot.jpg

Raw data:

http://www.soleproductions.com/Shaun/AVS/FrequencySeats.xlsx

Edited by WakeJunkie

I asked before but go no answer. Do you have ANY sort of eq hooked up for the subs? Or do you just have gain and let audyssey eq what it can?

Sorry Scrappy,

No EQ, Gain adjustments only.

maybe you could add something like a mini dsp? My subs were no where near flat with just gain. Lots of people have to boost at 20hz to get flat down to single digits. I luckily have a crazy room for bass I guess and actually cut at 20 hz by like 5db to remain flat down to 8hz. I have a 8db null around 72 which could most likely be fixed with some bass traps but I don't care to since this a rental. I can deal with it. Just a thought. I bet some eq would get you closer to where you wanna be then just some minor room treatments.

A room eq will do wonders across the whole band. It is very hard to get subs to start flat from the get go. They are set up in certain rooms and powered subs even have dsp built into the amp to start with. Your enclosure is custom as well as a blank slate amp.

Looking at the data peaks, without the nulls the response is pretty flat. This is an assumption as the peaks could be from positive reinforcement from the lack of room treatment just as easily. If the response is this different at different seats I am having a hard time understanding how an eq would fix that. I can see how I could flatten a response in one seat or another, but that could make other areas worse.

Edited by WakeJunkie

An IB is going to roll off similar to a sealed sub. To see an actual chart, you can plug the TS parameters into winisd and see what the drivers would do in an ideal situation. Choose sealed box and make the box as large as possible. You can certainly EQ to get flatter but excursion will go up and you're only running 2 drivers. If the amp was falling off at lower frequencies, I would have thought it would be a steeper slope.

If the amp was falling off at lower frequencies, I would have thought it would be a steeper slope.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to figure out.

The bean bag curve actually looks pretty good.

I guess laying in the middle of an 8ft bass trap 3ft thick will smooth things right out. That is my personal listening area, but when guest are over they (at least adults) rarely sit there.

If I can get rid of these 3 primary nulls I think I will be in great shape until I go the eq route.

Frequencypoints.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

Bass traps should help all curves to some degree or another.

The drop off really looks to be the natural roll off of the drivers the more I look at it. I would guess it would change over time as the suspensions break in and loosen up. It certainly won't hurt to eq and get it flatter but be careful as eq'ing (boosting) down low really eats up cone travel. That's why sets of 4 drivers are used. I have a 10dB drop in output on my IB from 20 to 10Hz but really haven't wanted to eq it. You still get good infrasonics with that roll off. 110dB at 10 Hz is plenty.

Is your measuring equipment flat down that low? Some of them roll off down there too. You'll need to check instrument specs so you can tell what's really going on.

Is your measuring equipment flat down that low? Some of them roll off down there too. You'll need to check instrument specs so you can tell what's really going on.

Radio Shack 3302055 Digital SPL Meter.

Youthman mentioned the same thing. I found curve corrections for other, but not this one. If somebody knows where to find it I would appreciate it.

Youth also suggested I plot it out like this. It is good to see that I am not dealing with a "dead spot", but a null at a specific frequency.

I was calling it a dead spot after listening to a song that hit hard in the 55Hz range. Trying to tame a specific null is a lot less overwhelming.