HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

I thought about your severe drop off at your crossover point while I was walking at lunch today. Is this a sweep with your sub set 10dB hot or flat. If it's flat, change the wires at the amp and run another sweep. If it's hot, drop your sub amp 10 dB and run the sweep again. I always run everything flat when EQing and adjusting phase and once everything is how I like it, I'll start messing with the gains. The gains are the last thing you should tweak once phase and room issues have been addressed.

I ran the sweep with the system set at listening levels, or about 10 dB hot. That makes sense. I will try it flat.

I may not get to this week. Have friends coming over for Avenger movie marathon Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Watching all 8 Avenger movies before going to see Captain America - Winter Soldier on Sunday.

Yes...we are nerds.

• Like 1

I thought about your severe drop off at your crossover point while I was walking at lunch today. Is this a sweep with your sub set 10dB hot or flat. If it's flat, change the wires at the amp and run another sweep. If it's hot, drop your sub amp 10 dB and run the sweep again. I always run everything flat when EQing and adjusting phase and once everything is how I like it, I'll start messing with the gains. The gains are the last thing you should tweak once phase and room issues have been addressed.

I ran the sweep with the system set at listening levels, or about 10 dB hot. That makes sense. I will try it flat.

I may not get to this week. Have friends coming over for Avenger movie marathon Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Watching all 8 Avenger movies before going to see Captain America - Winter Soldier on Sunday.

Yes...we are nerds.

They have a Marvel release every year around either my sons birthday or mine, This year the new Xmen movie comes out the 23rd of May the day before my birthday. So we as well are nerds, however I thought the last Captain America movie was Ok my wife did not. Though this new one looks pretty good.

Accoustic cube panels, ATTA BOY, don't see many people in the road of life that have a clue about what these critters can do for a room, and this comes from seeing guys spend $1K on cables.

Guess I am not following you on this one.

Ok, I have bud's who rant about they have added this and that to their systems, speakers, placement, design, amps, but only one has done the panels, and totally agreed with me. until you have done the panels, stop spending money on your system is what I tell my bud's.

I don't care how "Good" and pricey someone's system is, until they have STOPPED the sound from Bouncing all over the room, the system is just NOT done! IMHO.

Iv got a few years in the recording industry, when setting up a studio, the first thing we did was envision where to place the "Damper Panels".

Whole heartedly agree. After I treated my room with panels (14) in room and 3 in staircase entrance made the largest impact. Extremely quiet in there. I built the lighting and everything around the paneling was in place.

Any chance you could run 2 traps?

I'd still like to see a sweep with the drivers polarity reversed. You don't have phase adjustment with a pro amp but there's still a couple things you can do. One is to reverse polarity. The other is to play with your distance setting in the subwoofer bass management menu. Increasing or decreasing the sub distance with your avr is similar to adjusting the phase knob on a plate amp.

i have phase adjustments in my pro amp?

I'd still like to see a sweep with the drivers polarity reversed. You don't have phase adjustment with a pro amp but there's still a couple things you can do. One is to reverse polarity. The other is to play with your distance setting in the subwoofer bass management menu. Increasing or decreasing the sub distance with your avr is similar to adjusting the phase knob on a plate amp.

Polarity and phase not the same from what I understand

Polarity and phase not the same from what I understand

Makes no difference at 80 Hz. I'd leave them wired normally. Did you turn the gains down on the sub to match the mains when you ran the sweep?

EDIT, actually reversed looks a little better down to 9 Hz.

Edited by CECAA850

Did you turn the gains down on the sub to match the mains when you ran the sweep?

No gain adjustments made. Subs are still running hot. I really didn't have enough time to do much last night with Church. I needed to clean up for everyone coming over for the Avengers movie marathon that starts tonight.

Once you have some time on your hands level match your mains and sub and pay attention to what happens around the crossover point when you reverse polarity. Also listen to some bass heavy music and pay attention to the attack and clarity of bass notes and drums.

Just to report on the subs performance.

I watched Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk tonight. It was like watching movies for the first time. Hulk never impressed me before. I loved it tonight. I loved the way you felt every gunshot. You could feel it in the beanbag physically moving from the pressure. In your chest every explosion. My wife even commented on how she was worried the bass would be overwhelming and annoying. She said it worked out perfect. She even said "those movies are much better when you can feel them."

Two FI IB318's really pack a punch.

Needless to say...I am still very impressed.

Just to report on the subs performance.

I watched Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk tonight. It was like watching movies for the first time. Hulk never impressed me before. I loved it tonight. I loved the way you felt every gunshot. You could feel it in the beanbag physically moving from the pressure. In your chest every explosion. My wife even commented on how she was worried the bass would be overwhelming and annoying. She said it worked out perfect. She even said "those movies are much better when you can feel them."

Two FI IB318's really pack a punch.

Needless to say...I am still very impressed.

my wife would flip out if the bass was 10db hot. i leave all my subs alone after calibration. i don't boost any levels. i guess i am just so used to it, that when i hear stuff 6db or higher i think it sounds fakey to me.

glad it moves that big ol bean bag though. that makes a huge difference when you can actually feel the pressure that the 18's can produce. glad you love em. can't wait till you do the other two! make sure you don't wait too long as woofers tend to change every so often. i wish i had bought a few more Si 18's before they were sold out. just in case in the future i move and have a bigger room i know i will want more than what i have right now.

my wife would flip out if the bass was 10db hot. i leave all my subs alone after calibration. i don't boost any levels. i guess i am just so used to it, that when i hear stuff 6db or higher i think it sounds fakey to me.

My wife would flip out if I ran mine flat.

We spent how much for this pissy bass? Lol

When flat you have to turn it up so loud for music to thump that it is uncomfortable to listen.

I would have to check again the exact DB, but it is no less than 6. To me running the 18's flat I might as well kept the 15". Your ears don't hear flat, you have to boost the lows for it to sound even unless you auto cal does that already. I am not auto calibrating. Setting mine with SPL meter.