Crossover Roadshow

Deang

look at the two cans that are next to each other. Compare the surface of the can of the right to the one on the left. Notice the Q-tip, where I wiped the oil up from the can. The oil is seeping from the solder tabs. It's not a lot, but it's the beginning of what leads to a lot worse.

look at the two cans that are next to each other. Compare the surface of the can of the right to the one on the left. Notice the Q-tip, where I wiped the oil up from the can. The oil is seeping from the solder tabs. It's not a lot, but it's the beginning of what leads to a lot worse.

That's why you're working on them and not me.

I notice with the old oil caps is they either use a rubber seal, a phenolic type of wafer, or a ceramic/phenolic combination for a seal. Close inspection will reveal wet seals around the solder tabs, or take a cue-tip and wipe the tabs like Dean mentioned. You'll see a dirty brown wet substance, (oil) and one can smell it as well.

The ceramic sealed one seem to hold up best...the rubber ones are the worst.

My Dean Crossovers are all covered with dust. And yes they still function properly. I wonder if he makes an anti dust kit.

JJK

you don't want to de-dust them...the dust adds capacitance (especially dog and cat dander)....the extra capacitance makes the system sound silky, smooth, warm...almost tube like. If you take the dust off...your going to be looking for a dust upgrade.

"I was told that most of them were WWII surplus"

True, before the early 70's. Later they tried Mylar, and when that didn't work they had new oil caps made. The new oil caps did not have the hermetic seals that the old military surplus ones had, and they don't last as long either. The old WE hermetic glass-sealed caps from the 30's usually test good, even today.

"you don't want to de-dust them"

National Semiconductor had an audio handbook with a chapter called called 'Floobydust', very hard to find. I've had two copies, the second took the factory rep a couple of years searching to find for me. Don't loan them out, they don't find their way home.

http://www.aed.pro/images/floobydust.jpg

Edited by djk

A little off topic, but where can I get a good spade connector for these and similar networks? They can only be a max of 8 mm outside width. I'm currently using some from Ace Hardware :unsure:. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Thanks, Mike