Klipsch La Scala Bass

Guest David H

Just curious what other members have done to improve the bass on their La Scalas. I keep seeeing this picture come up? Anyone done this and had success? Looks like it would work......

I have done a version of that mod, simple and effective.

Dave

Tha mod works. You can also enclose the horn section, cut out the inside doghouse top with a router, and put the mod behind the horn access plate that you would install.

I tried the upper enclosed horn modification and the lower one that you are showing - both work but nothing to really brag about - it adds some bass effect -- but this aint like a Cornwall - I find it alters the quality sound out of the Original LasCala setup -

- the real improvement is done by adding a subwoofer - setup - like the SW-15 series from Klipsch http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15 - http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15-ii - these subs alone bring out the low frequencies that the Lascala cannot reach - a single is sufficient - as it also carries a passive radiator -

-Klipsch had another solution which was the way the original design was made to work - simply adding a second Lascala bass bin -

-good luck -

• Like 1

it adds some bass effect -- but this aint like a Cornwall - I find it alters the quality sound out of the Original LasCala setup

Of course it isn't like Cornwall bass. That would be awful! [;)]

I'm finally getting around to modding one of the pairs of LS that I have. I'll give a more hands on comparison once I'm done.

If the mod is done correctly, it shold retain the snap/speed of LS bass, but give a little more output in the bass. If you do the filter mod to go along with it, they are flat to about 30Hz. I wouldn't really call that 'adds some bass effect'.

- the real improvement is done by adding a
subwoofer - setup - like the SW-15 series from Klipsch
http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15 - http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15-ii - these
subs alone bring out the low frequencies that the Lascala cannot reach
- a single is sufficient - as it also carries a passive radiator -

This is a lot more expensive and takes up more room. You also have to deal with the correct placent for the room.

I still think most LS are a little too hot in the mids. Dropping the mids back a coupld of db and the tonal balance is much improved. Kinda like the mod for original Heresy cabs.

Bruce

• Like 2

I am sure if the mod is done right you will get a good result, but I don't think it will do much for their resale value. I built a tuba table sub for mine. Yes it is big, yes it probably cost more than the mod, but the sound matches perfectly with the La Scalas and is good to an easy 25HZ. Also no impact on the La Scalas value. There are many good horn sub plans out there that would work as well (I also have a Cinema F20 but it is refrigerator size). If you have the room do the sub, if not do the mod knowing what the true cost is.

Just curious what other members have done to improve the bass on their La Scalas. I keep seeeing this picture come up? Anyone done this and had success? Looks like it would work......

Yes and yes. [y]

I did it by enclosing the backs and modifying the networks per the collective advice of djk and BEC.

The networks were temporarily outside the boxes until dialed in.

Edited by DizRotus

Marvel - can you please elaborate on the filter mod -

( If you do the filter mod to go along with it, they are flat to about 30Hz. I wouldn't really call that 'adds some bass effect'.)

If you do the filter mod to go along with it, they are flat to about 30Hz. I wouldn't really call that 'adds some bass effect'.

The BR mod can go lower but with reduced output in the ports' operating range compared to the bass horn's output. Flattening the frequency response by xover mods will work but will cause sensitivity loss. How much loss of sensitivity are we talking about?

The modified La Scalas I did for the local high school band director are powered by a vintage h/k 730 receiver (35 watts/channel when new). It can produce more clean volume in a large space than humans should be asked to endure.

When I first tested them, it was apparent they were ever so slightly less efficient, but I drove them to "call the police" levels with an antique Dynaco SCA-35 tube integrated amp that puts out a mere 17 watts/channel . . . on a good day.

If you use the search function you'll find many threads detailing various versions of this mod. You'll notice a common occurrence. Almost exclusively, those critical haven't tried it; those favorable have done it. It's not for everyone, but it's quick, inexpensive and easily reversible.

• 7 months later...

I tried the upper enclosed horn modification and the lower one that you are showing - both work but nothing to really brag about - it adds some bass effect -- but this aint like a Cornwall - I find it alters the quality sound out of the Original LasCala setup -

- the real improvement is done by adding a subwoofer - setup - like the SW-15 series from Klipsch http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15 - http://www.klipsch.com/sw-15-ii - these subs alone bring out the low frequencies that the Lascala cannot reach - a single is sufficient - as it also carries a passive radiator -

-Klipsch had another solution which was the way the original design was made to work - simply adding a second Lascala bass bin -

-good luck -

Why try to make a mini Altec Voice of the Theater bass section when you can just add a Tuba HT sub and get way more/better bass?

• Like 2

If you do the filter mod to go along with it, they are flat to about 30Hz. I wouldn't really call that 'adds some bass effect'.

The BR mod can go lower but with reduced output in the ports' operating range compared to the bass horn's output. Flattening the frequency response by xover mods will work but will cause sensitivity loss. How much loss of sensitivity are we talking about?

Any PEQ to overcome this will increase cone motion and distortion. Just got done getting rid of this sort of thing on my FH-1's and the bass definition is far cleaner with a longer horn and a sub rather than this limited attempt.

This is a lot more expensive and takes up more room. You also have to deal with the correct placent for the room. I still think most LS are a little too hot in the mids. Dropping the mids back a coupld of db and the tonal balance is much improved. Kinda like the mod for original Heresy cabs. Bruce

It's all about the price one is willing to pay, so to speak. Everyone wants a free lunch, I guess, but there is not such thing.

We all know that having horn loaded subs is the best answer to TRUE solid bass and to get GREAT bass is EXPENSIVE. Some people throw out the WAF and make the room work.

Even Khorns and Jubilee bass is diminished below 60 Hz. as all of my measuring bears out. But hey if you guys want to pursue this type of thing, just know that you will never experience the added dimension I speak of with an added box and some holes.

But hey, either way, you may find it to be an improvment. Besides, It rasies the top section to a more desirable height, which has nothing to do with bass, but a potentially better sound at the sweet spot nonetheless.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...

The NEW Jubilee has a much longer bass horn than the La Scala, which makes all the difference.  The older Jubilee also has a much longer bass horn, as does the Klipschorn (around 8’ long in the case of the Klipschorn, in contrast to the roughly 3’ of the La Scala’s bass horn).  The trade off is that all those speakers are much bigger and heavier than the Scalas, which were originally designed to be small and light enough to be relatively practical for touring PA service.  That’s also why they came in only one colour for the longest time:  Stage Black.  The Walnut, Cherry, and Black Ash options came much later, presumably when veneer was added.

8 hours ago, consistent said:

When I look at pictures of the NEW Jubilee is reminds of this mod done some years ago! Interesting to say the least!

If you look closer you will see this mod doesn’t share anything with the New Jubilee since the ports mod are loaded directly by the room while the New Jubilee ports are actually horn loaded and then the horn is coupled to the room this is what is unique and why Roy was able to patent the concept.

This mod is actually close in concept to past designs such as Altec A7 for example.

miketn 

31EA2734-CA0C-49A3-B6B0-D294102DD535.thumb.jpeg.e7f457330b333cff8f9619a3f2899102.jpeg

257FD96C-D945-43C8-BE0C-F0B0357EB7B9.thumb.jpeg.6a821fb09db117bc555b0c1bf6f6207b.jpeg

B2D10F4A-75EC-4042-AB59-964C6CA9800A.thumb.jpeg.9f166d8a7d04f409394f84bf78b10b32.jpeg

• Like 2